Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you check your ego at the door when entering Plumbing Zone, you will be richer for the experience.

Today I had a lightbulb moment.

So many of us are proud of our accomplishments and let our egos/pride get in the way of some real learning. There is a goldmine of information to be had here at Plumbing Zone. When someone criticizes something we do, we immediately get defensive - rather than asking ourselves, is there merit to it. Personally, I realize I missed some good stuff by wanting to be right and do it my way.

I have been able to step back and learned that PC Plumber does things a lot differently than I would do. Do I want to be PC Plumber? No. But, I have learned not to prejudge a customer from him. I have learned that selling is an art form.

I have learned that you can use PSI and be honest at the same time. Thank you Smells for that valuable lesson.

I have learned that some posts don't deserve my time. I AM NOT WETBRAIN, nor is Rockstar, nor is PlumberWhoCares. Paranoia isn't healthy. :yes:

I have learned that all entrepreneurs suffer with insecurity when the phone doesn't ring.

I have learned that Flat Rate pricing can be implemented and be fair to the customer.

I have learned that not all systems will work in all areas. (Herk comes to mind).

I have learned that not everyone is who they claim - Wetbrain. However, he could teach all of us a thing or two about SEO.

I have learned that Union guys are a GREAT bunch of guys. (Sorry for the misconception). IlPlumber showed me this.

I have learned that I can trust some with a secret (22 rifle comes to mind).

I have learned it's still a man's world and some do not like my presence.

I have learned that sometimes what someone really needs is a friend and sometimes the forum has fallen short by offering negativity, rather than friendship.

I have learned that it's never to late to pursue your dreams. There are no guarantees in life, so you need to make the most of what you've got. Never give up. (Plumberwhocares).

I have learned that some plumbers do things I'd rather not know about (Roast Duck).

I have learned a perceived bully is just a guy trying to find his way while trying to do his best.

I have learned that nice guys can grow in business and be cheaper (RockStar).

I have also learned that if you are offering the best in price and quality and are the cheapest - you are foolish. You can add trucks, sales will go up, but there will never be enough profit to invest in the best plumbers, technology and offer the best benefits. When you run your business this way, you are cheating yourself and your employees. Thanks to the guys in the AHS thread for this realization.

I thank everyone here who has shared their experiences. I learn from all of you.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I have always enjoyed reading your posts, I never stopped learning. I'm here to read posts, search for things I don't know. That's one good thing about this business, it's never boring and I enjoy it.
Also I've learned that plumbers will be plumbers. It's a unique group and I'm very proud to be part of it. We make pokes at each other, sometimes we're disgusting and we always give our opinions because in each of our own individual minds we are wonderful people! LOL:thumbup:
Hey, anyone seen Dave? :blink:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
IM a young know it all that will figure more things out as the years go by. Alot of the advice I take very seriously, and I would NEVER admit that. I have learned more from some of you that have been in business longer in the past 4 months, that would have probably tooken yrs to learn on my own. I love this place, don't have a problem with anyone on here.
Dave no here, have you seen Dave?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I must say, I appreciate all who post here, in one way or another, I pick up some good stuff to do or not to do. My questions have always been answered with at least two or three ideas and makes me a better plumber for it. For that I thank you all and shall we continue to learn!! Now let's go knock a couple back, Hef W/ A lemon for me please?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Plumbcrazy,
Why do you have to be soo right all the time. Oh how I wish I was as well "spoken" as you and some of the folks on here.

It's a dang miracle things don't totally blow up sometimes. When you drop 100 type A people in a room it is a delicate balancing act.

It's like my pastor told me the other day. (He is going on our Haiti mission trip too). When we are in Haiti, try to be a good sheep. People don't always want a leader. I think the same is true on the PZ. If we are all good sheep. We just might learn something.

I will attempt to be more open to other peoples ideas.

NO SHEEP JOKES, PLEASE!:yes:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I agree with the Grand Dame !! :)

Reactions: Phat Cat

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I have learned that some plumbers do things I'd rather not know about (Roast Duck).

Muwahahahahaaaaaahaaaaaaahaahaa!!! Sploogeman Enterprises Ltd. All Rights Reserved 2009

Ahh I made the list. Nothing else matters, I made the list.

Ahh but even though I feel special at this very given point in time...there are my followers of the fecal & urine fellowship, join us.

(pushes real hard to produce instant results)

*ker-splash! DOINK!" "aaahhhhhhh :thumbup:"

Roast "piling it up in a port-o-let" Duck

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Redwood, Redwood :no:. I almost forgot you. Hmmm.

Redwood has taught me that even normal people are attracted to weird avatars. Did I just imply Redwood was normal? :laughing:

On a serious note, Redwood has taught me that you can love your job/trade, hang with the guys, be tough and still be humbled by the awesomeness of the heavens!

Yes Redwood, you have left an impression on me. I still owe you for trying to help my rep.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
1 - 20 of 82 Posts