Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new heater. Company put it in an attic, lit it up went downstairs and boom. Buddy of mine at the supply house showed it to me. Its a Rheem LP heater or was. Check out how far the flames reached up the side of the tank. No one was hurt, that's the good thing. Haven't heard the whole story yet but its looking like it was full of fuel when it lit up or had a massive leak somewhere.

Attachments

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Now for the rest of the story, Page 2.
Thats what I am waitng for.
WOW!

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The story I got today from my vendor was they pulled the old heater and installed the one above. Lit the tank and went to the truck to smoke, when they came back it was on fire. They put it out after some severe panicking I would imagine, and get this LEFT IT UP THERE. Another plumber came in and pulled it for the ho.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Wild, and it's a Reem

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
I find it disturbing that there was a fire outside the tank like that. I always thought these new heaters where supposed to prevent any ignition outside the burn chamber. Also what was the source of the fire? Was it coming from the burner tube entering the burn chamber? I did have a HO call me once saying they smell gas. When I tracked down the leak it was the main burner tube had a small nick in it just below where it screwed into the control valve.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That looks like one I saw a long time ago. A "plumber" installed a natural gas heater and the next day it looked just like the one in the picture. After looking around he noticed a large propane tank in the parking lot. Lucky the place didn't burn down.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks like one I saw a long time ago. A "plumber" installed a natural gas heater and the next day it looked just like the one in the picture. After looking around he noticed a large propane tank in the parking lot. Lucky the place didn't burn down.
You are correct my friend. LP heater was hooked to Natural Gas feed. Boom.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh and now they are wanting a credit on it because they said the supply house gave them the wrong heater. It says LP Gas on the side of the box in big letters. kinda hard to miss.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Went and looked at a heater simular to that today. Gonna do the replacement tomorrow. didnt have a camera today, but will post pics of it when we are finished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts