Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put in a oil water separator tank and it has two manhole lids over the aces holes,I need to raise them up 8-10 inches and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to use to raise these up without spending a fortune,let the ideas come,thanks

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I have put in a oil water separator tank and it has two manhole lids over the aces holes,I need to raise them up 8-10 inches and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to use to raise these up without spending a fortune,let the ideas come,thanks
post a picture of what your dealing with..

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
couple of questions

What is the diameter of what you need?
What is the flooring ... concrete? ect?
Any load bearing like walking or driving over?
If you alter the interceptor will it make you liable in any way?
Will the owner, or the manufacture allow you to do it??

Assume 4" Take a flat closet flange glue it to a piece of sch 40 pipe, on the top side glue on a 4" x FIP adapter with a flush countersunk plug. You can bolt through the flange to secure the lower side w/ S.S. bolts. Bigger than 4 you will have to weld something up just watch the materials { rusting, corrosion could be a service problem in the future!
Seems like you are buying this for a long time.}

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

Just get some bricks and mortar. Or make two rings and use some concrete to cast some risers.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can’t I don’t have a smart phone,just need to raise the manhole base up say 10inches,what I’m thinking about doing is get me a concrete storm drain with the coupling end on it and take my gas chopsaw and cut whatever width I need for these,need about a 30inch wide concrete culvert

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Can’t I don’t have a smart phone,just need to raise the manhole base up say 10inches,what I’m thinking about doing is get me a concrete storm drain with the coupling end on it and take my gas chopsaw and cut whatever width I need for these,need about a 30inch wide concrete culvert
my old fashioned flip phone takes pictures or buy a digital camera for a few bucks...

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
What? No cell phone that take pictures? How do you take service calls during work? Then you don't take pictures at all on service calls? What about an inexpensive digital camera?

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
why dont you ask the building dept what code is? because if you do something and it collapses or plans werent drawn up by an engineer for manholes in a public place you can be liable for all damages, yes sounds stupid, but just look at the crazy lawsuits all over the place..

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
What? No cell phone that take pictures? How do you take service calls during work? Then you don't take pictures at all on service calls? What about an inexpensive digital camera?

Most of our guys just had flip phones until 3 years ago when they said they would give us 50$ a month towards our phone bill if we had a smartphone. Some of the guys didnt even have cell phones until then. We have uhf radios in every van and most of our customers still have house phones. The shop has a 100' uhf antenna pole.

Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just buy a piece of the proper size RCP and cut what you need. a piece of inner diameter 24" RCP is about 350.00. or you can buy the 3" thick extensions rings for like 20 a piece.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Most of our guys just had flip phones until 3 years ago when they said they would give us 50$ a month towards our phone bill if we had a smartphone. Some of the guys didnt even have cell phones until then. We have uhf radios in every van and most of our customers still have house phones. The shop has a 100' uhf antenna pole.

I didn't have a cell phone until I opened up 2 years ago. Before that I'd get home to check for messages.

Some employers gave me hell because I didn't have a cell but it was even worse if you had one because they'd call you constantly micromanaging and having guys run around all day. My last employer I had a cell and he did all that plus wasting my evenings with freaking endless texts until 1 in the morning. I found out this summer he was on cocaine everyday ...

·
Registered
379 Posts
If it's a real C.I. manhole the suppliers of the structures around here offer concrete extension rings in 1" thickness increments to raise them.

Reactions: sparky
1 - 13 of 13 Posts