Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught wind of a parsonage that's going to be built for a church.

I've done work, donated $400 worth of my time and materials at that property and it's a F'n dump. Has too many mechanical problems, laid out wrong for visiting clergy.

I'm not "of" this religion anymore but I advertise in their bulletin.

If I do something, it's always with some type of alterior motive. heh

So, since it's a charity event, I'd be the Master Plumber that pulls the permits and roughs this 3 bath ranch home. I'll see if I can get the supply houses to get me some scratch and dent tubs in, faucets, toilets.

A donor to the church gave 150,000.00 to build a parsonage on-site; the old parsonage is across the road and offers problems not being "there" next to the church. The church will most likely sell that property to put towards the idea of building this structure.

The church will write the donation significantly higher than the actual amount that it would cost; what would they care....they are non-taxable to begin with. ??

I want the job solely for the advertising gain, the video/photo-op, embedded business to business associations I'd gain in this move. Like I said, I don't do "free" without a gain. I'll splash it on my website and pray no one else thinks I'll do it again for another church, just because I did it for this one.

I'm not travelling to Guatamala or Cuba, some foreign land to do god's work, I'm a stone's throw from this job and I see opportunity in my good deed to help others.

Everyone,

Not everyone is as jaded as me, thank goodness. But please list your charitable contributions in the name of goodness and helpfulness towards others on this thread. Be proud of the hardship you've went through to help others, using the tools and hands that employ your destiny into the future.

Of course, others can take advantage of your niceness from time to time, but there's much reward in the name of charity. Prosper is a word that conveys many meanings, and how it is used.

Ryan Seacrest,

OUT!!

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I am elder of my church. I do all the plumbing there and at the parsonage, I have plumbed Habitat homes. I do free service calls for church members who need it, and charge those who can afford it. I did a service call on a Sunday night for a neighbor 3 doors down who at 95 is the town's oldest resident. I told his wife to put the checkbook away, if I hit 95, I hope some young whippersnapper does the same.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Our church is gutting their kitchen and expanding it. I somehow landed on the kitchen committee.:whistling2: I have committed to supplying the labor if they buy the material.

In tough economic times it's a whole lot easier to give some labor than $$$.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i only do charity for animal rescues and humane societys every one else pays as i dont like people

LOL! I applaud this brutal honesty. I worked at a house today that the customer had some big, mean looking dog. I told her if looks could kill *from her dog*, I was just slaughtered all over her living room.

She of course, got a good laugh out of that one. :laughing:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our church is gutting their kitchen and expanding it. I somehow landed on the kitchen committee.:whistling2: I have committed to supplying the labor if they buy the material.

In tough economic times it's a whole lot easier to give some labor than $$$.

Amen to that. The framer stated the write-off he'd gain as the work would be in value of one number, the church will sign to a considerably higher number. They don't care; tax exempt on their end.

I told the one fellow I'd donate the copper fittings, not the pipe to the job. Maybe all the brass valves and what not. I got tons of threaded valves, gate valves, stop valves. Be a great time to use them all instead of letting them collect dust like they've been doing for years.

I could probably scrap in all the faucets, with as many as I've bought on resets from home cheapo. I don't want to be called when they leak. :blink:

·
Banned
913 Posts
Are you so arrogant or so good that you really believe your 'charitable' contribution is viewed as charitable and not 'opportunistic?' Intelligent people can usually tell the difference. Body language gives away more than most of us realize.

The proof will be in how many referrals or future business you receive as a result of your good works. Just maybe they are getting one over on you! :laughing:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you so arrogant or so good that you really believe your 'charitable' contribution is viewed as charitable and not 'opportunistic?' Intelligent people can usually tell the difference. Body language gives away more than most of us realize.

The proof will be in how many referrals or future business you receive as a result of your good works. Just maybe they are getting one over on you! :laughing:

You've been looking at my arse while I walk away, haven't you? :rolleyes:

I was asked if I had been contacted, which I wasn't, then I took a proactive approach to the opportunity since I'm already a contributor to that church by my years of advertising, supporting.

I work for the smart and the dumb, so I'll catch them both with fly paper. :laughing:

My intention, and it's a good one, is to make sure ALL are aware of my contribution. It's going to be physically demanding to perform the task, I'd like the benefit to last a lifetime, long after it drops out of the heads of many.

Cha-ching! Bada-bing! :thumbsup:

My but has been looking rather laarrrge lately. I'm working on that though. One candy bar at a time.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Roast Duck - You are toying with me and I am not taking the bait.

However, a question for you . . . What person/event hurt you so badly that you have turned into a cynical, self-centered, proud to be a bada$$ individual?

It does feel good to do something nice for someone and expect absolutely nothing in return. You ought to really try just doing something nice for the sake of being nice.

I don't care about your arse, but I am sending a hug your way.

That said, I can hear your devious laugh . . . BUT somewhere deep inside you resides a decent, loving human being. Let that person out.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roast Duck - You are toying with me and I am not taking the bait.

However, a question for you . . . What person/event hurt you so badly that you have turned into a cynical, self-centered, proud to be a bada$$ individual?

It does feel good to do something nice for someone and expect absolutely nothing in return. You ought to really try just doing something nice for the sake of being nice.

I don't care about your arse, but I am sending a hug your way.

That said, I can hear your devious laugh . . . BUT somewhere deep inside you resides a decent, loving human being. Let that person out.

Wow, does charitable contributions get you all that hot and bothered?

Please, instead of the name calling, and the fact I like you,

Follow the thread title and lay out for us what you've done with your plumbers in the design of charitable contribution, and did a plumber from across the land slap your hand saying it was a bad thing to take a few pictures of its noteworthiness.

You can dislike my marketing strategies, but bottom line, I make money doing it. And I make sure everyone knows. The only time I feel special is when people like you call me out on it asking for explanation.

See how nice I am? Full disclosure without showing plumber's crack. Now don't make me piss in your green tea, show me that you've done something like the above in candor, and I won't buy the down economy bullshit; I'm doing the above with not much money to spare, my inventory and the notion someone can use a bathroom in the name of god.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts

Follow the thread title and lay out for us what you've done with your plumbers in the design of charitable contribution, and did a plumber from across the land slap your hand saying it was a bad thing to take a few pictures of its noteworthiness.

You can dislike my marketing strategies, but bottom line, I make money doing it. And I make sure everyone knows. The only time I feel special is when people like you call me out on it asking for explanation.

See how nice I am? Full disclosure without showing plumber's crack. Now don't make me piss in your green tea, show me that you've done something like the above in candor, and I won't buy the down economy bullshit; I'm doing the above with not much money to spare, my inventory and the notion someone can use a bathroom in the name of god.

:blink: I'm sure this makes perfect sense to you?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:blink: I'm sure this makes perfect sense to you?
Of course,

Does every plumber from Alabama have this much trouble with comprehension? Have you done anything charitable, other than letting the yellow pages blow your head off?

Let me go post my water heater install today so you can make fun of me. :laughing:

·
Banned
913 Posts
Not at all. Charitable is usually considered doing something without gain.

Just like - to know me is to love me :yes:.

I shouldn't have characterized you - it's your actions that have offended my sense of goodness.

Our charitable contributions

1. We have sponsored tee markers in the name of charity. Per IRS guidelines this is a charitable contribution and we deduct as such. However, on a personal level, I know we did it strictly for advertising and wouldn't boast that we are a charitable company.

2. I'll give you two examples of real charity: A. Customer calls a 11:30 p.m. at night. A lot of water is coming out from behind a wall where her water heater is. Something has busted. I ask her to try to locate a shut-off or go to a neighbors house to see if they can help her. Wake my husband up and he is out the door within 5 minutes. Call her back and she is crying hysterically. She slipped and fell and hit her head. I told her we would be there within 5 minutes. Hang up and then it hits me - she needs more than a plumber. "Do you need an ambulance?, Okay. Why are you crying? If you cannot find the valve, go sit on your porch and wait for the plumber. It's just water, you need to calm down. Help is on the way." A poly connection at her water heater came apart. My husband gets everything put back together and wet vacs the area as best he can. Her 7 year old son is on the sofa crying - my husband asks him why is he crying. "My mommy is hurt and scared and I can't do anything to help her." My husband gives him a hug and tells him his mom will be okay. The little boy say "I wish you were my Daddy so my mom would have someone to take care of things." When it was time for the bill, my husband told her she had been through enough, no charge. We don't use the story in our advertisements or boast about our good deed. Several weeks later, I received a card thanking both me and my husband for what we did for her. She said it was the nicest thing anyone had EVER done for her. That was our reward.

A retired military customer (nice guy, likes to talk about his military days) calls with a broken valve at his meter. Due to being very busy, we could not get there until first thing the next morning. When I call to let him know this, he tells me "it's okay. ABC Co. is going to come out. They only charge $49.00." :eek: I know this company, they are going to stick it to this man. I try to explain the $49.00 is just a trip charge, but he doesn't understand. I tell my husband that "ABC Co. is going out there." He knows what that means and knowing what I am thinking he says "I can't leave what I am doing, i'm sorry." A few hours goes by and he is late for dinner. I call his cell - he's there after hours and takes care of the water line. He charges a minimal amount.

We give in many little ways when a need is there. We just don't feel the need to get something in return and use it for marketing.

HTML:
 did a plumber from across the land slap your hand saying it was a bad thing to take a few pictures of its noteworthiness.   You can dislike my marketing strategies, but bottom line, I make money doing it. And I make sure everyone knows.
I don't dislike the marketing strategy (however, it's not for me), what I dislike is that you take pleasure in being . . . (the word escapes me, and I don't want to resort to name calling anyway).

I believe what comes around goes around and that the more nice you do, it comes back to you.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Of course,

Does every plumber from Alabama have this much trouble with comprehension? Have you done anything charitable, other than letting the yellow pages blow your head off?

Let me go post my water heater install today so you can make fun of me. :laughing:
Yes we are all ignorant hicks. I'm better off than most because I made it through the 8th grade.

One thing I do understand though is that charity is charity and marketing is marketing. What you are engaged in is marketing not charity. You've already said that but you seem to feel as though you will be handsomely rewarded for your marketing efforts. Perhaps you will be and since it seems to be all that you seek in the matter I hope that you will be because whatever you recieve from your marketing efforts now (now meaning in this life) is all that you will ever receive. So I hope you make a zillion bucks 'cause it's all your gonna get.

As for me ... I prefer to not let my left hand know what my right hand is doing.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As long as you two don't represent yourself as christians, have at your "judgeth others before thee" circus act.

When you have people judging your kind acts, donations to help others, it says a whole lot more about you than it ever will me.

I had to stop reading all the charitable contributions you posted smellslike$tome. Didn't know you'd post 3 pages worth. That 8th grade education might just buy your ticket to heaven, paved with charitable deeds.

See anyone picking on jjbex for showing his kind donation for habitat for humanity? I see others criticizing by code inference, to which I thought would be nothing but praise for his efforts, not criticism.

Same way you all fubbed this thread like a housecat, "judging" my intentions.

Maybe some of us can't afford to stop/drop and plumb a house at no charge, contribute a large amount of materials to the cause, help out. That strikes either envy or jealousy, and to think the camera in jjbex's hand was such a fubbing crime, oh how dare he take pictures of his good work.

Next time you want to judge one others good intentions, remember that my intentions explore the ability to possibly offer MORE the next time this comes around, kinda like having the ability to pay for the roofer, or the siding guy, or the guy who's the cabinet maker, all compliments of the plumber who's doing quite well because indirectly he sold the goods that he does do things for others,

he just has a way of making sure everyone outside that small group of people knows about it.

If business life sucks for you at this time, that's your problem, not mine. No one is going to use me as a sounding board in the effort to discount that the deed is deplorable because I constitute the same action as jjbex.

I don't however, think I would of shown it on this site. I would of kept it private like a good deal of my pictures are on my site, not bringing attention to which ones were free (charitable being the keyword) and which ones were not.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just created some editing for ron. Sorry ron, I'm making sure that plasters on an email reply, mission accomplished. :thumbup:

I owe you a 3" lo-heel 90. :thumbsup:

Black fellow I put a sump pump in for in 2007,

He called me yesterday telling me his discharge line froze outside. I told him that he needed to increase to 4" and he wouldn't do it.

Fast forward and now that nearly new pump is destroyed, burned up from running for 6 hours, water was steaming in the pit, bled oil out of the pump.

Well I switch the pump out, found a pretty good gas leak at the meter right where it discharged and he was grateful for that, and I wanted to make sure he gets this matter resolved once and for all.

I already wrote the bill for my time, but I offered my hour of meeting him at Ace Hardware getting everything he needed so he could go back home tomorrow and resolve this issue once and for all.

It was time consuming of course, but I was doing my part for helping the elderly. I almost bet I won't get this in return someday and that is fine, I felt good doing the deed. No video or pictures were taken of this event.

I can say something to customers but if they don't remember it, they'll make a mistake and it will cost them twice. This time I'm hoping with my showing up at Ace's will seal the deal and he'll keep this from happening again.

My services cost him $300 today, and that's $654 for two sump pumps replaced in 2 years. He's getting quite a collection of pumps in his basement.

I "didn't" work for free in this hardship of his because that creates a misfortune for a repeat, or "well you did it for free last time!" attitude and you've now compromised the reason you're there to begin with; fix the damn plumbing, charge for it.

The fellow above, I don't care if he ever tells a soul about my helping him today...he knows I'm someone that can be trusted, and that by far is worth the wage and experience, alone.

The lady I just told to F off 30 minutes ago whining in my ear wanting lower rates for emergency services on a friday night? She can go rot in hell because I stopped working for jews a long time ago. Unless you're a holocaust survivor, you don't apply in my mind for special pricing just because your plumbing took a dump on your living room floor. LMAO! "That ceiling looks so pretty on your coffee table! If I may ask, what color did you choose for that? It's so purdy!" :)

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
uh- I donate 1000.00 a year to various charities. It is a way of giving back to the community without giving away work. I don't like work that much to give it away.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I just created some editing for ron. Sorry ron, I'm making sure that plasters on an email reply, mission accomplished. :thumbup:

I owe you a 3" lo-heel 90. :thumbsup:

:)
You lost me what was I to edit? :)

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
As long as you two don't represent yourself as christians, have at your "judgeth others before thee" circus act.

When you have people judging your kind acts, donations to help others, it says a whole lot more about you than it ever will me.

I had to stop reading all the charitable contributions you posted smellslike$tome. Didn't know you'd post 3 pages worth. That 8th grade education might just buy your ticket to heaven, paved with charitable deeds.

See anyone picking on jjbex for showing his kind donation for habitat for humanity? I see others criticizing by code inference, to which I thought would be nothing but praise for his efforts, not criticism.

Same way you all ****ed this thread like a housecat, "judging" my intentions.

Maybe some of us can't afford to stop/drop and plumb a house at no charge, contribute a large amount of materials to the cause, help out. That strikes either envy or jealousy, and to think the camera in jjbex's hand was such a ****ing crime, oh how dare he take pictures of his good work.

Next time you want to judge one others good intentions, remember that my intentions explore the ability to possibly offer MORE the next time this comes around, kinda like having the ability to pay for the roofer, or the siding guy, or the guy who's the cabinet maker, all compliments of the plumber who's doing quite well because indirectly he sold the goods that he does do things for others,

he just has a way of making sure everyone outside that small group of people knows about it.

If business life sucks for you at this time, that's your problem, not mine. No one is going to use me as a sounding board in the effort to discount that the deed is deplorable because I constitute the same action as jjbex.

I don't however, think I would of shown it on this site. I would of kept it private like a good deal of my pictures are on my site, not bringing attention to which ones were free (charitable being the keyword) and which ones were not.
Meth will destroy you Duck. Get into rehab now!

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I am elder of my church. I do all the plumbing there and at the parsonage, I have plumbed Habitat homes. I do free service calls for church members who need it, and charge those who can afford it. I did a service call on a Sunday night for a neighbor 3 doors down who at 95 is the town's oldest resident. I told his wife to put the checkbook away, if I hit 95, I hope some young whippersnapper does the same.

That's awesome, see there are others just like me out there,

God Bless you man !

1 - 20 of 47 Posts