Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we have to go get a key for entry from somewhere and return that key after the job is done, we will charge from the time we pick up to the time we drop off key, it that how others do it?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yes sir, we charge drive time one way. So if its 2 hours away the customer pays and if I have to go pick up a key or go talk to someone to let me in. I stop my time when I pull away from the location.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We charge to and from, pick up and drop off.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yea we do too, I just re read my post. I stop my time when I drive off from dropping off the key or telling whoever we are through with the job.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
One way, your lose your butt if the distance is great.
Got that right. Like I said, if they call and want some work done, then you schedule it there should be someone there. If you got to play "Chase the key" then let them pay for it.

Mmm, idea for another post:yes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't like T&M for this very reason. I'm just expressing an opinion folks, not opening the floor to 'the great debate'.

When we went to flat rate, it cut junk like this out from the stand point that we had to have a signature before any work was done. This stopped all the phone calls the next day asking why this and that were done and why the price was higher than they thought it should be.

Pricing before you do the work allows you to explain the ins and outs of what is needed and how you will deal with problems not covered by the price. Your client hears your plan of action and must approve it before you set to work.

Working in an empty house is just opening doors to potential problems. Making the client own the problem and be part of the decision making process and the solution helps insure a happy client.

Just my 2 cents on an 'old' topic. And yes, I did look at the date, but its still relevant.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I don't like T&M for this very reason. I'm just expressing an opinion folks, not opening the floor to 'the great debate'.

When we went to flat rate, it cut junk like this out from the stand point that we had to have a signature before any work was done. This stopped all the phone calls the next day asking why this and that were done and why the price was higher than they thought it should be.

Pricing before you do the work allows you to explain the ins and outs of what is needed and how you will deal with problems not covered by the price. Your client hears your plan of action and must approve it before you set to work.

Working in an empty house is just opening doors to potential problems. Making the client own the problem and be part of the decision making process and the solution helps insure a happy client.

Just my 2 cents on an 'old' topic. And yes, I did look at the date, but its still relevant.
That's ok Double A we love the "great debate" in here. Mostly because nobody seems to be regarded as scum if you hold one view or the other unlike some otheR sItes whose name shoulD Go unmentIoneD.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
That's ok Double A we love the "great debate" in here. Mostly because nobody seems to be regarded as scum if you hold one view or the other unlike some otheR sItes whose name shoulD Go unmentIoneD.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

You hadn't been there lately.

Turns out there were maybe two or three who were perpetuating the myth that f/r were all ripoffs.
As time passed the truth came out that a majority of members were flat rate.

There was apparently some miscenception that all f/r folks charged $500 to replace a flapper or something.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

You hadn't been there lately.

Turns out there were maybe two or three who were perpetuating the myth that f/r were all ripoffs.
As time passed the truth came out that a majority of members were flat rate.

There was apparently some miscenception that all f/r folks charged $500 to replace a flapper or something.
It's been a very long time since I've been there. I went by ECS on that site and got raked over the coals pretty good there. You would have thought that I was little more than a mugger to hear them tell it. I still am not believing that anyone could survive with L.A.'s cost of living for $75.00 t&m rates or anywhere else for that matter and if they are then that's all they're doing is surviving.

P.S. At the time I remember it being very lonely there as a flat rate shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts