Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you still do them? Have customer sign a waiver for laminate and tile tops ? I have walked away from 2 sinks in 7 years. removing cast sinks just plain [email protected]@k. I dont want to eat a new counter top for a $300 sink install. i need to work on a "not liable" form for the customer to sign.

your thoughts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I warn every customer. I had a mica counter top explode while taking out a cast iron sink that had been recaulked many times. steve

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
You Just Need A Bigger Hammer!!!!!! Just Kidding!

I started off with one, driving those shims in and it wouldn't budge. Customer was paying me $85 hour straight time, he spent like $700 with me that day to replace that sink.

What's bad?

That sink is now 3 years old and I bet it is rough looking as hell. That finish is notorious for scratching and looking rough.

I told that guy last year to find another plumber because he's 22 miles from the shop, and every time I go do work for him, I lose money. Phone rings and I'd rather be in 5 driveways doing 5 jobs than 1 job making 5 jobs pay.

More people that know you, the more work that can be created from.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, i got 2 new putty knives today. I did the job today i was dreading all week 4' vanity top between two walls with wallpaper. ended up with one small tear that clear caulk smoothed out. overall i'm glad today is over.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I cracked a formica top at an elderly couples' home. I had been to there house many times, done emergency service, but I cracked that p.o.s. laminate and it turned ugly quick. They were very wealthy, and actually nice to me, their stereotypical, pushy daughter drove me meshuggah. I had a carpenter go there, measure up, order the countertop, pick it up andnot go back because the daughter was calling him constantly. I ended up with a handyman franchise doing it and I paid for it, just to shut them up. Now I use a painter's scraper to cut the caulk bead.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I cracked a formica top at an elderly couples' home. I had been to there house many times, done emergency service, but I cracked that p.o.s. laminate and it turned ugly quick. They were very wealthy, and actually nice to me, their stereotypical, pushy daughter drove me meshuggah. I had a carpenter go there, measure up, order the countertop, pick it up andnot go back because the daughter was calling him constantly. I ended up with a handyman franchise doing it and I paid for it, just to shut them up. Now I use a painter's scraper to cut the caulk bead.
Yep, I cracked a faux marble countertop somehow and had the customer call a counterman and replace it. The pos was from HD or someplace. Cost me 250.00 back in '94. That's the only drama I can remember.

I love replacing sinks, though, easy money...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts