Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
477 Posts
I use Quest fittings on everything! Muhaha!

The all-in-one pvc/cpvc/abs glue is allowed locally, so we keep a small can on the truck and I glue cpvc with that if I need to glue a joint.

To add fuel to this debate, that multipurpose glue is one of two locally approved methods to tie pvc pipe into an abs dwv system. The other is unshielded fernco couplings.

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,535 Posts
I can’t tell you how many almost full cans of cpvc glue I’ve thrown out. So I use sharkbite on tha BS pipe now.
I saw a compression valve on the CPVC pipe, I wasn’t sure if that was good.
I don’t really like sharkbite, unless it’s temporary or if I have to use them, I will only use them if they’re not going to be inaccessible.

·
Registered
Plumbing
570 Posts
I saw a compression valve on the CPVC pipe, I wasn’t sure if that was good.
I don’t really like sharkbite, unless it’s temporary or if I have to use them, I will only use them if they’re not going to be inaccessible.
Yes, you can compress metal ferrules onto cpvc.

Yeah, I would only use in open areas. To be honest no high end homes here have cpvc.

Only shacks and fish camps really……

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,535 Posts
Yes, you can compress metal ferrules onto cpvc.

Yeah, I would only use in open areas. To be honest no high end homes here have cpvc.

Only shacks and fish camps really……
I was shocked to see CPVC in a home worth over $1.5M in a big city, I thought CPVC was mostly used in rural, cottages, farms RV/mobile type dwellings.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I use Quest fittings on everything! Muhaha!

The all-in-one pvc/cpvc/abs glue is allowed locally, so we keep a small can on the truck and I glue cpvc with that if I need to glue a joint.

To add fuel to this debate, that multipurpose glue is one of two locally approved methods to tie pvc pipe into an abs dwv system. The other is unshielded fernco couplings.
It's green glue errr excuse me cement

·
Registered
Plumber
7 Posts
We’re doing a 35 apartment building on a podium deck.
City only approves Sch80 CPVC or Copper for Hot/Cold/Recirc piping hanging under the deck. 3/4”-4”
Guess what they want to use?
At least it’s easily accessible for the future…

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I was shocked to see CPVC in a home worth over $1.5M in a big city, I thought CPVC was mostly used in rural, cottages, farms RV/mobile type dwellings.

I was at a $2 million 4 story condo to with cpvc and compression stops. Leak call, guess what was leaking? Makes my skin crawl to see compression stops on cpvc. I sold new stops throughout the house, a Water Cop system and a whole house filtration package.

·
Registered
Plumbing
570 Posts
I was at a $2 million 4 story condo to with cpvc and compression stops. Leak call, guess what was leaking? Makes my skin crawl to see compression stops on cpvc. I sold new stops throughout the house, a Water Cop system and a whole house filtration package.
You can wrap the ferrule with one or two wraps of Teflon tape to stop nuisance leaks. This is more common when you have a circulation water system.

I agree with you, skin crawl when I see it.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
80% of the homes built here 2000 and up have CPVC in them 80% of them have compression stops on them. We, have used compression stops on them. Never had an issue with them being compression. Im more concerned of a dumbas5 not drying off the stub out good enough or cleaning the paint off of the pipe and the sh!t blowing off in the middle of the night. Florida air doesnt do copper right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts