Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving here in about 15 minutes to try and get one out. It's an older toilet if that matters.

I've run into this numerous times and never have I had any luck getting them out. They've already shop vac'd with two different sized ones and I told them to do the TP test and see if it was indeed clogged.

Well it did.....and I'm trying to figure out how (without pulling this toilet and going backwards to get it out. I'm going to look for my sneaky pete but no chance I'm going to find it.

Would you all just take it to a new toilet install? Attempt with a closet auger? Take it outside and reverse back?

I hate effing taking those old ones and messing with them in this way. Those holes in the bowl's base along with the holes from tank to bowl have been under stress for years, you go moving stuff around and it turns into a full rebuild on a 73 ford pinto. It might look a little nicer with the hubcaps but that don't make it any newer than what it is.

What sucks is I'm booked already for the day tomorrow and I now these people aren't going to let me schedule this for wednesday. I guess I "could" go and buy a toilet tonight but that makes tomorrow's job even funner.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Now thats funny right there I don't care where your from!:laughing:

I had a call where the cel actually made it through the toilet...
A Kohler Cimmeron...
It was vibrating and I listened to the pvc pipe and got it's location pinned and was able to fish it out...
$#itty Phone!

I have sometimes gottem objects out of toilets by rolling it in a somersault motion and letting gravity do its thing.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I'm with KTS. Or you could just take it up. Throw it on the driveway breaking it in a million pieces and hand the HO the cell phone. You wanted it out. There, I got it fer ya:laughing: Hop in the truck and go home:jester:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,

Didn't pull it up. I tried a coat hanger and felt nothing at the top of the turn...not good.

I go ahead and put the closet auger in and it goes darn near halfway. I take it out using what's hanging out as a gauge and sure enough, it's at the hard last turn and there'll be no way I'll have a shot to push it all that way back through.

So, I told them they had two choices; pay me to sit out in the front yard in the dark trying to use practically nothing with any momentum or just bite the bullet and buy a new toilet, it's guaranteed it's a job done more swiftly, especially knowing trial and error would be choice #1.

They opted for a new toilet, it was a Kohler Wellworth RH elongated toilet. I told her that she could get away with just the bowl since they sell them separate.

She just called, told me they don't have the Wellworth in a comfort height but they have the Highline in the height and elongated.

What I found odd was the fact they wouldn't separate the tank from the bowl on that model......WTFF? Never have I heard of that, short of a one-piece toilet. :laughing:

But anyway the daughter went and bought this toilet tonight, she's taking it home so the husband when he comes home from 3rd shift he can take it over and have it setting right next to the other one so I'm not driving all over town. Gotta love it. :thumbsup:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why didn't you supply the toilet??? Make some money on the markup and make sure its the right one.

I'm booked for tomorrow and don't have time to get that toilet, come back and install it.

I used to do that but I like keeping my numbers from being inflated come tax time.

IOW I don't like higher numbers when all that does is produce a gain on the percentages I pay for occupational licenses and what not. Truly in the big picture, I don't think the markup would even cover what the tax liability would be.

Same with water heaters; I don't supply them, just install them and if anything goes wrong with them I would be first to lose time when they malfunction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts