Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
It’s probably been about 5 years or more since I had to install one of these. I forgot how heavy they are, definitely a young mans game. View attachment 130470
Agreed.
I remember spending a day cutting one into 3 PCs to get it out of a heritage home!
Only to have the client buy a new one..
It was a nightmare to get it up the narrow 100y/o oak stairwell, then through the door and installed.
Never again, fcuk that- nope.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed.
I remember spending a day cutting one into 3 PCs to get it out of a heritage home!
Only to have the client buy a new one..
It was a nightmare to get it up the narrow 100y/o oak stairwell, then through the door and installed.
Never again, fcuk that- nope.
At least they had a demo guy remove the old one. I remember years ago I was trying to cut mine out to remove it, a friend came over and said dude hit it with a sledgehammer and break it. Made it a lot easier to get rid of.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
I’ve installed one. I learned my lesson.

To put it in perspective though, think about the generation of plumbers that installed those like we install fiberglass tubs every day! They were real men!

Only way to remove a cast tub or concrete double laundry tub. Sledge hammer. But with a bath tub it’s best to sacrifice a tarp.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
...............Only way to remove a cast tub or concrete double laundry tub. Sledge hammer. But with a bath tub it’s best to sacrifice a tarp.
I keep a sledgehammer in the van and I break one up every once in a while.

But the best way is when the carpenters are changing out windows anyway so they just use the lull ;)

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,891 Posts
I keep a sledgehammer in the van and I break one up every once in a while.

But the best way is when the carpenters are changing out windows anyway so they just use the lull ;)
We have cracked the down stairs ceilings doing the sledgehanner thing on them...
knocked pictures off the walls and shook the **** out of the house.
I dont have any desire to fool with one again...

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
We have cracked the down stairs ceilings doing the sledgehanner thing on them...
knocked pictures off the walls and shook the **** out of the house.
I dont have any desire to fool with one again...
Really? Must be crap built houses. Never had an issue breaking one apart.

Luckily a lot of people don't put new ones in, they go for showers instead. Easier to use when you get old and decrepit.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
11 Posts
The old plumber Johnny Hendricks told me that he just stood them up and leaned them up on his back with his hand in the overflow hole and carried them right on in. My worst memory was when I was a helper carrying a 6' solid black one up the stairs. The easy way is to spend $50 for a set of hand trucks, stand it up and roll it in. To take one out, remove tile walls, remove drain, drill hole in stud in wall opposite faucet end. Put bolt through stud, fasten come along to bolt and other end in overflow hole and jack it up, stand it up and put hand truck under it and roll it out. I am 60 and I can do this by myself. You boys are a bunch of wusses. Thanks, Jim

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,669 Posts
You boys are a bunch of wusses.
Thanks, Jim
Wow, calm down grandpa.
You’re only 16 years older then me. We have it very easy in the plumbing industry now- compared to what plumbers did 100 years ago.
You’re not that old, I bet your grandfather would be laughing at you, calling you a wuss.

And if you’re still hauling and lifting castiron tubs by yourself at 60, and you have been in the industry for 37 years where did you go wrong?
Why are YOU still doing this? Don’t you have workers/employees to do this for you?
I’m 44 and have a small crew of guys working for me, Doing the grunt work, the heavy lifting- if that makes me a “wuss”(in your eyes) then so be it, I’ve put in my time laboring, it’s now my time to bank, and live the American dream…
It’s about working smarter not harder.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
........... You boys are a bunch of wusses. Thanks, Jim
No one WANTS to move a cast iron tub, doesn't mean we won't.

I like to have some energy left for when I come home to my voluptuous wife ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here's the truck I drove before I was an Apprentice back in 1972, it's a 1966 White REO, Detroit Diesel, Allison 6SPD automatic, all wheel drive. Loaded up with CI tubs to deliver, 2 of us carried them in and up the stairs. One guy put it one his back and the other guy picked up the rear. When it wasn't loaded with tubs it got 6 crates of CI fittings,2 skids of 4x10 SH,1 skid 4x5 SH, 1 skid 4x5 DH, went foundation to foundation dropping off fittings and pipe that had been ordered.
That beast could back up to a FWD concrete truck stuck in he mud and pull it out easy, trucck never got stuck in my time driving it.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Truck Motor vehicle

·
Registered
598 Posts
I must be a masochist. I do tons of cast iron tubs and recommend people do them
Over fiberglass. Two guys who know how to lift and maneuver them with the right equipment and they’re really not that heavy or hard to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts