Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this homework assignment at school, which i'm not thrilled about doing since we're there to learn about the codebook, but thats an entirely different thread. The assignment is to come up with a presentation on the difference between regular pex and the pex used for radiant heat, whether or not they're interchangeable, and why... blah blah blah... basically any information I can come up with about it and put it into a presentation. :whistling2:

I've never done anything with radiant floor heating before, so i'm completely at a loss for terminoligy of the products, manufacturers, or where to start.

Can you help me get started?

·
Banned
239 Posts
pex for radiant heat has a oxygen barrier so air dosent get in the systema and ruin stuff im sure theres better anwsers but thats what ive been told......some oxygen barrier pipe can be ued for potable water youd have to read the specs on the pipe

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Contact a pex manufacturer's rep in your area and ask your question to them. An inside salesman at your local supply house should know the name and number of at least one pex rep.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are awesome resources. Thanks.

Unfortunately even with all of that, it still seems like the amount of information out there about hydronic heat in general is quite thin, although what is out there is readily available in many places and generally quite repetetive. I do think I have enough info to make it work though. I think my last item is to call wirsbo and ask someone why their radiant heat pex is non potable. After plenty of reading people are saying its the same product with an added barrier, but wirsbo didn't think it necessary to put it through the testing procedure. Obviously im not going to get any documentation on it, so i guess the next thing to do is call and ask.

Thanks again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts