Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread reminded me of this but I didn't want to be a hijacker.

For you guys with cameras, if you are routinely running cameras down 2" ks lines, who's are you using, how well do you like it, and have you ever used anything you like better?

I have an old Spartan and although it has made me a lot of money, it just flat out isn't going through any 2" ks line of any type.

I know Ridgid has their mini see snake (which I have used in the past) but I seem to remember problems with it wanting to go through very many fittings.

Anybody have a small diameter camera, that has NO trouble passing through 1.5" to 2" lines and fittings, that they really love?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Another thread reminded me of this but I didn't want to be a hijacker.

For you guys with cameras, if you are routinely running cameras down 2" ks lines, who's are you using, how well do you like it, and have you ever used anything you like better?

I have an old Spartan and although it has made me a lot of money, it just flat out isn't going through any 2" ks line of any type.

I know Ridgid has their mini see snake (which I have used in the past) but I seem to remember problems with it wanting to go through very many fittings.

Anybody have a small diameter camera, that has NO trouble passing through 1.5" to 2" lines and fittings, that they really love?
I've never really had a problem with the mini SeeSnake in a 2" line. I can usually push about 90-100' from a kitchen sink out to a larger line. The new microDrain is much more flexible but only 30' long. The microDrain will do five 1 1/2" sweeps and an 1 1/2" p-trap with a little work.

Mark

Reactions: Redwood

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I use a ridgid compact black and white. It will go EASILY into 1 1/2" even if it is built up with grease and sludge a little. I like it because it's one piece and can operate from rechargeable batteries that are commonly available at the homer and blowes. It sets up in seconds and can go from 1 1/2" up to 6". It's the only drain camera you'll ever need for residential work. They are super reliable to(I wish I could say the same for my 1st gen. micro cams though). I've had mine for years now and it runs like a top. A friend of mine who run's a larger outfit in town has several that he's owned for 5 years now.

I'm tellin you man, when it comes to drain cams, ridgid seesnake is king. If resi is your main business then the compact model is the one to have.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I don't have or use a smaller camera, I would think going down kitchen sink drains there would be so much grease and black **** etc. it would mess up the head very quickly.
I have an older Sreco 200' color system I've been using for main lines, and it works great! Paid only 1200.00 for this one with a rebuilt head. I doubt I will ever spend the money they want for the new Ridgid etc., no way. I don't care how great folks think they are. My pictures are super clear, color and have had no problems. You can use vhs or dvd, it's seperate from the reel. My customers don't care what make it is, they just want answers.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We run the Gen-Eye. You can take the guard off the head and run it through 2'' lines. Although I am sure its not good for the head. Most of the time it has way to much grease build up in it to see anything.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
For small lines we usually put a sond on the cable to do a locate and trace the line. You can't see anything with a camera in a gunked up line anyway.

para, I'm with ya on this one. Kitchen sink waste piping is usually too gunked up, even after a good cleaning, but sometimes you just need to see the problem. Usually when the pipe is not accessable or buried.

We use the 1-1/4" Ridgid Mini color 100' cable. We always clean and flush the line before putting the camera head into a kitchen or grease line.

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
Plumberman911 said:
Is there another good brand camera/see snake besides rigid?
Some will argue that Vu-Rite is a close second, but even on a good day....still second.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
It's funny, you never hear guys that own a SeeSnake wishing they had another brand. They are built different because of their core roots in scientific underwater cameras and photography. They probably spend more on testing each unit than some spend on building their cameras.

Mark

Reactions: AssTyme and plbgbiz

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It's funny, you never hear guys that own a SeeSnake wishing they had another brand. They are built different because of their core roots in scientific underwater cameras and photography. They probably spend more on testing each unit than some spend on building their cameras.

Mark
So True.

Sometimes I spend 4 hours per day running camera up residential sewer line and doing isolation testing looking for breaks in cast or PVC.

They are work horses, I turn them up many pipes and push and jam them thru fitting and up vent stacks all the time.

I have on Camera Monitor that I back into with my Van it still going strong, although a little dented..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts