Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am urging every licensed Master, Journeyman and registered apprentice to change your avitar to the one I am using, and to post your license number under it. Lets make a statement that we are a united profession that cares about the future of the trade and the health and safety of the nation.

Thank you all

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
No,,,

I like mine.
Thinking about getting it as a tattoo .
HOWEVER I agree we need to show a fully mutual front !!

Cal

·
Registered
344 Posts
Um, why?

I'm proud to be a plumber and an avatar doesn't make me prouder. What are we trying to say and to whom and why?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Double A is a licensed plumber, if he was not he would not be allowed on here.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If I have to explain it then you will probably never get the point.
Oh , I get the point ,,,, I just don't agree with it .But , that's part of the reason we are here I suppose .

Cal

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not calling anyone out. His public profile says GC and remodling contractor, nothing about licensed plumber. Just curious that's all.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Not calling anyone out. His public profile says GC and remodling contractor, nothing about licensed plumber. Just curious that's all.
He is a long standing member and moderator on Nathans other site, ct.com.
I am quite sure if Ron and Nathan vouch for him its cool.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You and Ron just don't want to give up the battling zoo show :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When your trade finally gets watered down enough by the acceptance of crap plumbing products and practices and through the efforts of unscrupulious distributors that sell to home owners along with the big box stores who are hell bent on convincing the entire general public that they can do it. When your plumbing and code review boards are manned by lawyers paid off by lobbiests for the wholesalers and you begin to see the code and your license that you worked so damned hard for slowly mean less and less. When you see that everyone elses pay scale is growing while plumbers are stagnating ( $ 44,000 average yearly pay) When you open your eyes and see that the one organization that is supposed to support the plumbing profession is more interested in selling code books and being wined and dined by the manufacturers then maybe you will begin to see my point. Until then, keep your head burried in the sand, maybe it will all go away. As for me. I'm old enough now to where it doesn't really matter where the trade goes. But that will not keep me from standing up for a profession that has been my live and living for 36 years.

I'm tired of putting up with crap from Contractors and homeowners.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You sure that's all it's says?

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
nh, I understand where you're going with this and although I have to figure out how the avatar thing works, let me at least do this...

Patrick J Follo, Managing Partner, Owner
R. Follo and Sons Plumbing, LLC.

CT. Lic.# PLM0281733-P1 Plumbing Contractor
HTG0394553-S5 Hydronic and Steam Heating Contractor

I've worked extremely hard for these numbers and I'm very proud to display them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your profile says general contractor and remodel contractor. do you have a plumbing license also?
Yes, I do. Take a look here at this post. That is about as personal and deep as I get on a public forum.

I don't post my identity on the internet for my clients to draw conclusions from. Politics is for politicians, citizen action is for citizens, business is for business people and plumbing and remodeling are for the professionals that work in those fields full time and have the education and experience to do them properly.

I now am in the remodeling business because of what I learned from plumbing. That is, if you take care of your client's needs and attend to their wishes, they will remain loyal to you and money will cease to be their basis of judgment of fair and ethical treatment by trades and crafts people.

I have taught plumbing apprentices at a joint apprenticeship committee (the local oversight groups within our state. All plumbing training is done under the purview of a committee of master plumbers. There are 6 or more in central Arkansas alone) for several years.

I have attended code change meetings and opposed the adoption of the IPC in our state, as well as the adoption of CPVC for use withing the building perimeter for other than DWV systems. I support and defend licensing requirements in our state and have worked to maintain those requirements.

I mentor and consult for several small businesses in my area, most of which are plumbing and hvac companies. I have been published in national trade magazines and am a member of several national plumbing and service plumbing organizations.

But, I'm still confused as to what this has to do with my avatar.

I'm also confused as to that my avatar has to do with my plumbing license.

As a plumber, putting up with crap from contractors and home owners was my bread and butter. They were my clients. As for our trade being watered down, that is true of all trades as the proliferation of information available on the internet grows, so will the idea that everything is much more simple than it really is.

Things change. We adapt or we die. Just ask the buggy whip manufacturers of the 1890s.

Please forgive me if I do not feel the need to be evangelical about my love of plumbing. Yes, I'm upset and bothered by the same things you are, but I work with my local and state authorities to enforce the laws we have on the books now and to keep those laws that, in my opinion, will do more harm than good off the books.

I'm sorry if I will not polarize my position because of my trade, past or present. The only thing I will become polar over is manners. I'm intolerant of people doubting my intelligence, compassion, insight or commitment because I do not see things in the same light as they, or do not hold the same things at the same level of importance as they.

I take my role as a moderator on this forum and on Contractortalk just as seriously as I take my roles in the real world. I have a commitment to the mission statements of these two forums that is just as important to me as my other commitments.

I find the whole idea of the "you're either with us, or against" mentality insulting, personally. Life is filled with gray areas and doubt. I refuse to be judged or labeled because I can see the black, white, and gray of a situation and remain unwilling to take up arms in a battle of words to fight for a cause.

I do however, respect that you are. Just don't expect me to raise my fist toward your pulpit and shout, "Amen" and "Testify, Brother". I have other fish to fry.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I am urging every licensed Master, Journeyman and registered apprentice to change your avitar to the one I am using, and to post your license number under it. Lets make a statement that we are a united profession that cares about the future of the trade and the health and safety of the nation.

Thank you all
I agree with the concept of your thought but would rather not put too much info out there because of what I do. This is suppose to be a pros only site but the truth is there really is no verification of who is and is not licensed. Many of us remember Devine Plumbing from other sites. We all thought he was legit until he was offended by a anti non-licensed plumber rant. As it turned out he has 15-years in business, is a knowledgeable guy yet never even got a Journeyman's card. No insurance no license and no accountability and we are all competing against him.

Mark

1 - 20 of 50 Posts