Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full circle blades all the way, anyone that don't clean line to there full bore is doing it half ass. I understand that some times it can't happen, but an attempt to do so should be done, exceptions, tub and lav sink, if your cleaning around the trap.

·
Registered
378 Posts
First the straight head,then a cutter or applicable head.That means each line is hit a min. of 2 times.

Lines that only a drop-head will go through get only that head..

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
First the straight head,then a cutter or applicable head.That means each line is hit a min. of 2 times.
Thats what I do, rid the water with a flat and hit it with the cutter. May start with a smaller cutter and hammer it with the big cutter.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I trip in first with ridgid 4 bladed cutter head and then trip in a spiral saw blade, if I know it's a septic tank then I'll use a cutter. If I'm accessing the line through an undersized cleanout, I'll use a bent straight auger. This is a last resort as I'll go through a vent with a quickness. Ridgid 4 bladed cutter are my favorite, very hard to get stuck, bounce right over offsets and tear grease apart. It's the same blade I used for the urinal line. Spiral saw blades also work great for grease.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I ordered a T-111 root saw from Ridgid and hope the thing gets here someday. First of next month, they say.

And I've got a list of four-bladed cutters to get, too. Too bad that didn't come with the package.

I agree - small auger first, then a full-sized or at least as big as you can get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blades, we don't need no stinking blades!

Excuse me but.........
Roots equals line dammage equals pipe replacement equals mo money!
Now that's plumbing math 101 folks.:laughing:

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I had a customer who was going to get charged 10k to replace a 60' mainline that a local company said was collapsed. She called me for a second opinion and I pulled this out at around 30'(forgot distance). A 7/8 straight auger is in upper left corner to show scale.

I explained to her how if I came and snaked out her line every 6 months, it would be 30 years before she spent 10k on me. She told me she wasn't going to live that long and has me come out every 4 months by her choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
lol. very nice! a maintenance plan! repeat customers are very good for buisness ! they tend to spread the word!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've been playing tag with Ridgid. Probably the supply house fault for not knowing the layout of the catalog. I ordered a number of 5/8" rootsaws and four-bladed heads. What I got was one four-blade head and the rest was all replacement blades. Geez. The T-111 finally came in, though. Why is there always something back-ordered?

I re-ordered all the heads, and will keep the blades for spares.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I buy from north state. Did you get charged less for the replacement blades? I've asked ridgid to sell replacement blades but they said the market isn't there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah, the replacement blades are about half or less what the entire thing costs. That's weird because the rest is just the one-piece connector and a screw.

But if you look in the Ridgid catalog, on the K-50 or K60 page, you see the heads. The catalog number on the left is the head, the catalog number on the far right is for the replacement blades.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I had a customer who was going to get charged 10k to replace a 60' mainline that a local company said was collapsed. She called me for a second opinion and I pulled this out at around 30'(forgot distance). A 7/8 straight auger is in upper left corner to show scale.

I explained to her how if I came and snaked out her line every 6 months, it would be 30 years before she spent 10k on me. She told me she wasn't going to live that long and has me come out every 4 months by her choice.
That is why you are an awesome drain-cleaner!:rockon: You gave the customer options instead of pressuring her in to a sewer replacement she might not need for a few years.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts

Why don't you sell her some Root-X?

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
This happened before I found rootx. I've only used it on one customer before. Kinda worried about because it's so easy to apply. What's to keep them from buying it somewhere else and applying it themself? Snaking is laborious and expensive and most customers would rather have me do it instead of them.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
She'll still need cleaning with Root-X it's not a magic potion. But My concern is that the root that clump was attached to isn't dead and it's got to be close to pipe busting size just sitting in the hub ready to grow out again...

That will lead to a dig!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts