Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old journeyman showed me to use sledge hammer. Forgot weight . Said in basement floor tap the floor find "hollow" sound and proceed to bust it there . I now am 68-have a rental- with a slab which I think could be thicker than the 3-4" basements floors I remember. Had ducts cleaned. Guy was good. Some how noticed cold air return duct at bottom entrance to furnace filling with water when adjacent laundry tray drain ran. S trap 2" galv riser from floor drains L.T. I must repair. I thought of a liner. I thought of running a cable to make sure its open. I will bust the floor the 2 x2 area my duct cleaning guy recommended. He claims he has seen and fixed many of these old rusted pipes under floor. Just wondering any ideas what to rent to break this floor. How many amps max and if I should just hire it out to some handyman on craigs. Motown

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just get a roto-hammer / chipping hammer.

Sometimes referred to as a combi hammer, because they sell just chipping hammers and just roto hammers.

The one I rented cost me 60 for the whole day and it only took a couple of hours to break an area similarly sized to yours. Make sure it comes with a decent sized drill bit. The one I got was 7/8"

Drill the corners of your area, and connect the dots with a couple more holes in between. Then switch to chipping mode and break it out. It will take some time to get the first hole through, but once you have some real relief the pieces will fall off pretty quickly.

I'm only 37 and you won't catch me breaking a slab with a sledge. :vs_laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
You know going back over all your posts back to 2009 you never posted a
Introduction as a plumber,
but all your posts are like someone just trying to learn plumbing,
not someone who has actually knows plumbing like how to break concrete
something that I first learned how to do as a apprentice, !
and had many years running a breaking hammer

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,256 Posts

all I did was break up concrete out of high school every summer for probably 10 years or more...... you learn all the tricks on how to do it fast.....

I still have the jack hammer and rotary hammer on hand but these days if it is more than just a small area I call in a concrete cutting service and pay them about 250 to cut it up neatly for me....

they usually can do the whole job in an hour or less........ the will slice it into manageable peices for me and its just too damn easy that way....:devil3::devil3:..

The worst mess I ever got into was a floor with the reinforceing wire in it and it was over 8 inch thick......some places over a foot...they must have had an extra heavy pour that day ,,,,I dont know what went down but the unloaded the whole cement truck in that basement..... :crying::vs_OMG: I learned my lesson after that disaster.....

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I have my own jackhammer and Bosch rotary hammer. Hardly ever use them. Got them on barter. My cube has destroyed my concrete slab driveway, need to figure out a storm drain for my driveway and replace my basement floor.

I’m with Mark though. Anything more than a small break we call our local saw cut company.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/hi-deeetroit-3333/ :confused1:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for looking me up. Yep- gave up on busting concrete and picked up a tig torch----sorry but somebody had to weld that there stainless for u guys or we would lose it no?

·
Super Moderator
12,464 Posts
Old journeyman showed me to use sledge hammer. Forgot weight . Said in basement floor tap the floor find "hollow" sound and proceed to bust it there . I now am 68-have a rental- with a slab which I think could be thicker than the 3-4" basements floors I remember. Had ducts cleaned. Guy was good. Some how noticed cold air return duct at bottom entrance to furnace filling with water when adjacent laundry tray drain ran. S trap 2" galv riser from floor drains L.T. I must repair. I thought of a liner. I thought of running a cable to make sure its open. I will bust the floor the 2 x2 area my duct cleaning guy recommended. He claims he has seen and fixed many of these old rusted pipes under floor. Just wondering any ideas what to rent to break this floor. How many amps max and if I should just hire it out to some handyman on craigs. Motown

I like the Bosch electric breaker hammer. It hits with a good deal of force. "Chipping hammers" will take you 1/2 hour or more to break through a slab. The big breaker hammers pound through a whole lot faster.

I worked with a Jamaican man years ago when I did new const. When we had to move a pipe into the wall on a top out that was out of the wall after the house got framed, he'd use a 20 lb. sledge to break the slab. Doing top outs meant on occasion that you would have a pipe out of the wall. Most of us grabbed the chipping hammer but this Jamaican journeyman would use his sledge hammer.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
The one I have, jackhammer, is a dewalt. Works, but not as good as my Master’s hitachi! That SOB breaks concrete twice as fast as mine. His is a 60# mine is 50#. In the past I ran a makita, that was a decent hammer.

I don’t care about OSHA’s new rules. **** them!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know it's overkill for a break this size, but renting a big compressor with an air hammer makes it such a quicker job. A air hammer is going to way 1/4 to 1/2 as much as an electric hammer and it hits twice as hard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update- job done- rented Makita small breaker draws 14 ams home depot 60 bucks-did not even need it done in 10 min 12" x 18" hole----concrete on house slab crumbled and was 2" to 3" deep. Better safe than sorry . Would do the breaker as opposed to hilti drilling again-point was sharp and it went smooth. Found 1-1/2 galv 60 yr old pipe going into taped 3x 1-1/2" cast elbo. Cast was in perfect shape- peeled broken pie after cutting slot with saw zaw. Then used shop vac pulled huge suction on line got 3 gallons soil sewage out and pipe piece that fell in when I peeled it crushed it .Ran garden hose all clear. The home depot for breaker return and 12"x 1-1/2" steel gal nipple for 6 buck. Got lucky threads still good, filled cavity with sand, then 2" concrete -1 new fernco to plastic . 4 hrs total. Motown

1 - 15 of 15 Posts