Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
Nothing on Tuesday then it picked up for the rest of the week.

Went for a ceiling leak this afternoon, repaired the hot side of the tub/shower because it didn't close and the guy opened the water to test. I heard rushing water in the ceiling. Cut the ceiling, well F-me the drain of the tub is broken in 2 places and at the 3" column. Not happy at all, the guy will remove the toilet upstairs and cut the walls behind it and just for the tub branch I need to redo the freaking stack and all branches, toilet, tub, lav. I told him not before monday. I hate those super tough jobs and I'll have to straddle the toilet on the main floor to work in that ceiling.

Wood Stairs Building House Beam

Wood Floor Pipeline transport Flooring Gas

Wood Flooring Gas Automotive tire Tints and shades

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,325 Posts
That looks like a good one..... if it is cracked at that bend of that 45 I would almost opt to chip out that wood back an inch or so
and cut the pipe at the crack and then throw a fernco clamp on that fitting and build it back up again....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Speaking of funny business some guy called to install a non existant toilet in the basement in a house he just bought and only moves in June. I told him he needed to coordinate everything in advance he had to be there on site but first I needed pictures. I told him I wasn't running around. He texts me to call the current owner to go take pictures myself and to coordinate the install. He didn't listen so I text him back I'm not interested. Second red flag was his name.

Then the current owner calls for the install and says you come here to install it and he will pay. No sir that's not how it works I'm not going to run around for payment and he angrily replies your loss of business and hangs up before I could reply.

See @sparky 2 blocked calls today and I saved myself another soap.
Excellent

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Nothing on Tuesday then it picked up for the rest of the week.

Went for a ceiling leak this afternoon, repaired the hot side of the tub/shower because it didn't close and the guy opened the water to test. I heard rushing water in the ceiling. Cut the ceiling, well F-me the drain of the tub is broken in 2 places and at the 3" column. Not happy at all, the guy will remove the toilet upstairs and cut the walls behind it and just for the tub branch I need to redo the freaking stack and all branches, toilet, tub, lav. I told him not before monday. I hate those super tough jobs and I'll have to straddle the toilet on the main floor to work in that ceiling.

View attachment 132606

View attachment 132607

View attachment 132608
Abs sucks

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
That looks like a good one..... if it is cracked at that bend of that 45 I would almost opt to chip out that wood back an inch or so
and cut the pipe at the crack and then throw a fernco clamp on that fitting and build it back up again....
The 3"x3" x1 1/2" is also broken. I need to redo the whole stack from the ground floor all the way to the second.

Wood Material property Bumper Gas Tints and shades

·
8,325 Posts
The 3"x3" x1 1/2" is also broken. I need to redo the whole stack from the ground floor all the way to the second.

View attachment 132609
ABS pipe sucks and seems to get brittle compared to PVC.... over time expansion and contraction
of the house seems to weigh down on those branches through the walls....

That could keep you busy for a few days... I assume you gave then a price up front ??
Maybe you should Just slap on tube of black silicone on it and get the hell out of there.....lol

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
ABS pipe sucks and seems to get brittle compared to PVC.... over time expansion and contraction

That could keep you busy for a few days... I assume you gave then a price up front ??
Maybe you should Just slap on tube of black silicone on it and get the hell out of there.....lol
From all Ive seen where they break its mostly due in my theory the cold air in winter meeting the hot air of the sewer, contract/expand over years until it breaks. This tee has no wiggle room, the 1 1/2" is jammed tight in the joists.

I told him at first I usually let the big companies do that $hit but they would ask how much I charge. That could lead to a bad review, a complaint about price to the kangaroo committee or whatever black cloud that's always shadowing me. So I then told him I'll be back on Monday, the house is vacant and up for sale. His sister died of cancer but to scare the population they labeled it due to covid. Yep it's still a big propaganda machine up here. His brother was not happy.... Bikers are supposed to rally up parliament hill this weekend. We still have F-N masks!

No price upfront, T&M, I should be done I'd say 4-5 hours and already spent 2 hours there. I have all the Ferncos and MJ couplings for this sort of thing. I have to remove a vanity for another customer in the afternoon.

I guess more money for my goal.

I'll let you in on a secret if I were a hack, lather in abs glue and apply a thin layer of fibreglass insulation, rinse repeat until you have a thick patch.

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
What brand of pipe is that Tango ? I got involved with some in SO. CA. that was BAD, I made some very good money
off of replace it in over 100 homes

I didn't check the brand, a lot of fittings crack if they are stressed without expansion possibility.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I didn't check the brand, a lot of fittings crack if they are stressed without expansion possibility.
I've seen a few abs failures due to stress/no room for expansion, but the vast majority of major abs failures I have seen were due to high temps. Heat from a furnace/radiator/steam pipe/etc., or heat from the waste itself, usually a high temp dishwasher or washing machine.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

I would rip all that crap abs out and Re pipe with pvc,that be some good work for ya

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've seen a few abs failures due to stress/no room for expansion, but the vast majority of major abs failures I have seen were due to high temps. Heat from a furnace/radiator/steam pipe/etc., or heat from the waste itself, usually a high temp dishwasher or washing machine.
Abs sucks,it should be outlawed off the earth

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
From all Ive seen where they break its mostly due in my theory the cold air in winter meeting the hot air of the sewer, contract/expand over years until it breaks. This tee has no wiggle room, the 1 1/2" is jammed tight in the joists.

I told him at first I usually let the big companies do that $hit but they would ask how much I charge. That could lead to a bad review, a complaint about price to the kangaroo committee or whatever black cloud that's always shadowing me. So I then told him I'll be back on Monday, the house is vacant and up for sale. His sister died of cancer but to scare the population they labeled it due to covid. Yep it's still a big propaganda machine up here. His brother was not happy.... Bikers are supposed to rally up parliament hill this weekend. We still have F-N masks!

No price upfront, T&M, I should be done I'd say 4-5 hours and already spent 2 hours there. I have all the Ferncos and MJ couplings for this sort of thing. I have to remove a vanity for another customer in the afternoon.

I guess more money for my goal.

I'll let you in on a secret if I were a hack, lather in abs glue and apply a thin layer of fibreglass insulation, rinse repeat until you have a thick patch.
After this guy pays you for your work and materials block his number fast as you know how to lolololo

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
I would rip all that crap abs out and Re pipe with pvc,that be some good work for ya
I often see cracked 1 1/2" fittings going to the kitchen sink, usually at the rim joist. Also several times at the stack going to a shower, lav and such.

For Sparky go buy a suit and come on down here and become a PVC lobbyist, there aren't any white PVC. Only the gray stuff in commercial and tall buildings.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I often see cracked 1 1/2" fittings going to the kitchen sink, usually at the rim joist. Also several times at the stack going to a shower, lav and such.

For Sparky go buy a suit and come on down here and become a PVC lobbyist, there aren't any white PVC. Only the gray stuff in commercial and tall buildings.
wonder why???

·
8,325 Posts
wonder why???

ABS is just a more fragile and much lighter made pipe compared to the PVC....
The ABS fittings are much lighter and they feel less durable than PVC...
its no wonder any stress on them will make them eventually get stress cracks....

so if you do this long enough sparkey, like I have, old buddy...
you can just feel the difference ---
this comes with experience
:LOL: 😆😆🤠

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
Even if PVC lasts longer who cares in new construction(Not that there's any available anyway) The builders, GC or plumber after 1 year are long gone their warrantee is up and even before hand most of them tell their customers to F-off if the plumbing breaks. That's where I come in, I fix it for a paycheck.

No one is going to take a loss on materials so they can install better quality, they cut enough corners already. Even the million dollar cookie cutter house has the same contractor faucets, toilets and stuff. Same pipe too!

81 - 100 of 116 Posts