Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Lots of lessons, mostly the hard way over the years of course. Luck in acquiring them, then hard work in keeping them and earning referrals is another reason. I have numerous 'types' of customers that make it easy to realize/ appreciate the value of referrals. My first lesson was a gay customer (still a customer) in 1990 that has referred me to similar for decades. You hear that 'so and so' referred me and you start to realize the value. Same with professional athletes, I get referred around and, again, you learn. Nationalities, religions, skin colors, same neighborhood or company, all matter. They refer to people they associate with. Referrals usually mean no competition, griping about price, etc.

Richard DiToma articles..........

Hiring better salesmen than me and learning. I think $8000, my plumber says $12,000. And he gets the job AND he's right. Or getting called into an office of an upset commercial customer over a $25,000 quote and watch my plumber basically earn an apology from the customer over his disbelief. I think $475 an hour for jetting is fine but a plumber sells a 4 hour job for $2500 and the customer doesn't even blink.

So many ways, know your capabilities and do not sell them for cheap. Or walk.
Learn it, know it, live it, People.

OP's dealing with the luck part, I'd say. And the ongoing fine-tuning from there.

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Here it's mostly the opposite, the more they have a nice and big house the more will try to cheat the bill, throw a tantrum and they hire a lot of hacks.

It's not because they have a big house or expensive cars that they are rich. A lot of them are just faking it all the way.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,325 Posts
Here it's mostly the opposite, the more they have a nice and big house the more will try to cheat the bill, throw a tantrum and they hire a lot of hacks.

It's not because they have a big house or expensive cars that they are rich. A lot of them are just faking it all the way.

A whole lot of them got rich by cheating everyone along the way ,,,
and wineing like little girls when they get the bill...

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
A whole lot of them got rich by cheating everyone along the way ,,,
and wineing like little girls when they get the bill...
Speaking of funny business some guy called to install a non existant toilet in the basement in a house he just bought and only moves in June. I told him he needed to coordinate everything in advance he had to be there on site but first I needed pictures. I told him I wasn't running around. He texts me to call the current owner to go take pictures myself and to coordinate the install. He didn't listen so I text him back I'm not interested. Second red flag was his name.

Then the current owner calls for the install and says you come here to install it and he will pay. No sir that's not how it works I'm not going to run around for payment and he angrily replies your loss of business and hangs up before I could reply.

See @sparky 2 blocked calls today and I saved myself another soap.

·
8,325 Posts
Speaking of funny business some guy called to install a non existant toilet in the basement in a house he just bought and only moves in June. I told him he needed to coordinate everything in advance he had to be there on site but first I needed pictures. I told him I wasn't running around. He texts me to call the current owner to go take pictures myself and to coordinate the install. He didn't listen so I text him back I'm not interested. Second red flag was his name.

Then the current owner calls for the install and says you come here to install it and he will pay. No sir that's not how it works I'm not going to run around for payment and he angrily replies your loss of business and hangs up before I could reply.

See @sparky 2 blocked calls today and I saved myself another soap.
That seems to be a scam going on everywhere....

had a lot of this kind of crap over the past few years...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Business is picking up lately two jobs yesterday a drain and a couple of hose bibs both new customers one off Craig's List and another from a referral from a handyman friend. Job tomorrow referral form the same handyman friend ( he wants 10% commission finders fee fine with me). Yep has sucked about 8 to 10 job quotes one small job next Tuesday. Need to contact the salesman at Yelp and tell him to cancel the add at the end of the month. Need to ask customers for a positive referral on Google after I complete the jobs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Business is picking up lately two jobs yesterday a drain and a couple of hose bibs both new customers one off Craig's List and another from a referral from a handyman friend. Job tomorrow referral form the same handyman friend ( he wants 10% commission finders fee fine with me). Yep has sucked about 8 to 10 job quotes one small job next Tuesday. Need to contact the salesman at Yelp and tell him to cancel the add at the end of the month. Need to ask customers for a positive referral on Google after I complete the jobs.
The company I’m at now, they will discount the job a little if we get a verified 5 star review. It may not be ethical or whatever but it works lol

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
........... Need to ask customers for a positive referral on Google after I complete the jobs.
The company I’m at now, they will discount the job a little if we get a verified 5 star review. It may not be ethical or whatever but it works lol
One of the best things you can do is ask the customer to write you a good review somewhere. If a customer is happy, most of them would love to help you when you mention business has been a little slow.

Also, when a good customer refers you, it is usually to their like-minded friends who are probably going to be better than average customers too.

·
8,325 Posts
One of the best things you can do is ask the customer to write you a good review somewhere. If a customer is happy, most of them would love to help you when you mention business has been a little slow.

Also, when a good customer refers you, it is usually to their like-minded friends who are probably going to be better than average customers too.
I hope that you get your good reviews without too much effort...

Over the years, I have bent over backwards to get good reviews from people and it annoys me and pisses me off greatly
when they promise to do this but never get around to doing it.... the stingy bas/ards think
I have to entertain them and put on a show while on the job or I should bring them coffe and doughnuts with me
The coffee gets a little cold or they wanted blueberry Danishes instead of doughnuts so no good review
for you....plumber....LOL

I even have helped out folks by leaving used parts that they desperately needed
at my office and had someone come by to pick up a used sears bypass I left out for them
and they promise to give me a good review for helping them out....... you cant even bribe
some people with favors without them pissing down your back ......

I guess these folks think that you never should give a sucker an even break....
and no good deed goes un-punished

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I hope that you get your good reviews without too much effort...

Over the years, I have bent over backwards to get good reviews from people and it annoys me and pisses me off greatly ....
If I mention it, it's usually just to the ones with a phone in their hand, posting away. We have way too much work right now, and have been turning away most new customers.

There are a lot of things we are telling customers we won't do right now such as busting up concrete, opening large areas of walls/ceilings, hand digging short runs of pipe, drain snaking for new customers, etc. We tell them to call a carpenter, excavator, etc. When we get overloaded we just stick more to our core services, things we do most easily/efficiently.

·
8,325 Posts
If I mention it, it's usually just to the ones with a phone in their hand, posting away. We have way too much work right now, and have been turning away most new customers.

There are a lot of things we are telling customers we won't do right now such as busting up concrete, opening large areas of walls/ceilings, hand digging short runs of pipe, drain snaking for new customers, etc. We tell them to call a carpenter, excavator, etc. When we get overloaded we just stick more to our core services, things we do most easily/efficiently.
Mee too....... Up until this week we have been busy but now we are dead in the water since
monday so I have been digging out all the trash in the back
building of our shop........ no calls at all.... it must be tax time and folks are in shock...

Now finally late this afternoon I get a call from some maintaince guy saying he needs a leaking meter repaired at an office building
I go out to look at it and its a double meter that is sitting in a concrete sidewalk and the meter is about about 3 foot down..... '
I told him the concrete will have to be broken up and then someone will have to hold me by my feet so I can
reach down there .....

They got a 22,000 dollar water bill and he think its gonna get fixed for 500 bucks....

I just decided to walk away

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Replaced a house shutoff with a regulator, also irrigation shutoff and soldered hose bib. Kind of a pain in the ass installed 1" double union valve and when I tightened the unions they kept popping apart I got soaked twice. Finally replaced the watts 70 duo with a Wilkins 600 . Problem solved defective regulator. Asked customer for a good Google referral she said yes.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts