Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the big plunge for me I started advertising on Yelp cost of about $15 dollars a day paid on the first no contracts. No business the last week tried posting adds on Craig's List no response. I know there are things I can do to generate business. I am open to suggestions. thanks David

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,298 Posts
Ummm no disrespect but:
the first 2 sentences of your post seem like gibberish/broken English and confusing.
it reads like a robot.
That could be an issue.

maybe give us some background on you and your business, one man shop?
Do you have a few guys and a big crew?
How did or do you normally get leads/calls?
where else and how do you advertise?

Over the years I’ve mastered advertising my business to get maximum calls for little or no $ after having to fend for myself and then raising my daughter on my own.
There is lots of tips and tricks to get your phone to ring, but the reality is this will NOT happen over night, unless you have $$$$$$ to spend on advertising.

one thing I’ve learned over the years is I worked so hard to get to where I am in this business, but I didn’t know when I got here I’d be working even harder..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay, background. I am a military veteran 62 years old I started plumbing back in 1979, I joined the Air Force in July 1981 as a plumber. I got out of the Air Force in 1987 and worked for a few companies. I did new construction track type of work. The other company did plumbing repair and remodeling. IN 1991 I got my C-36 license For the State of California. joined the reserves in 1989, and continued to do plumbing. I had a heart attack in October of 2002, while on duty with the reserves. I stayed on orders for 5 years that was medically retired. I set plumbing aside for about 10 years I let my license expire. I renewed it a few times. About 3 years ago I started up again with the license bond and general liability insurance. Didn't get much work during the Covid pandemic sat it out. Now I am trying to build my business again, I want to focus more on drain cleaning jetting and camera work, not much on remodels except time and materials.
I bought a used box truck 2014 Chevy 3500 that I am trying to prep for drain cleaning. I have an old 2001 GMC 3500 van with only 50,000 miles also. I do the work by myself or have a buddy help or my son.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not great at advertising or marketing. I enjoy plumbing and would like to make some money. I have quite a bit of equipment. An excavator a bobcat and a dump trailer. Recently did a leach field during the rainy season in clay soil what a pita. I put a winch in my box truck, I am trying to work a little smarter not harder. Things have really changed with advertising used to put adds on the penny saver, newspapers, not trying Craig's list really busy with adds not much luck lately. Used to wear a uniform shirt and have magnetic signs on my truck. Also used to walk around and put door knob hangers on peoples doors got some good customers in a good neighborhood with that. Online advertising seems the way to go now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also used to work for three or four property management companies. And a few independent restaurants. I did a little insurance work like Old Republic and First American for a little while. Before I got injured.

·
2,298 Posts
Ehhhh,
you’re almost 20 years older then me, (good on you!) also you’re wanting to focus on drain cleaning/jetting which is sooo cut throat in my neck of the woods so I don’t bother with that type of work. I stick to residential/commercial service work and rough-in/finish work for the most part, there are so many companies advertising $99 main drains cleared* blah blah..
Hopefully you can find a way to stand out and get some work.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
I’ve been slower than usual over the last few weeks too. I have a few jobs waiting for me when “I’m out that way”… shoot, I think my kid made $100 less than me this week working for a friend of mine. He’ll probably be working this weekend too.

·
2,298 Posts
I’ve been slower than usual over the last few weeks too. I have a few jobs waiting for me when “I’m out that way”… shoot, I think my kid made $100 less than me this week working for a friend of mine. He’ll probably be working this weekend too.
my daughter dropped out of her last semester of college in her 4th year* after staring her own business during the pandemic, and now she’s clearing $1000-$1500+ a week which is more then double what she’d be making in 1/2 the time..

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Do you have a website?

If you aren't good at online marketing do you want to spend thousands and I mean thousands of hours how to do it and do it yourself? If not you need someone to build you a website, a google my business page and many many more things. It takes 5 year before google officially recognize you compared to 30 year old businesses if you do 90% of what the algorithm requires. You may see results as little as a few months if you play your cards right and put a whole lot of effort.

Be careful who you hire for SEO or a website, just like us you have pros, the hacks and those who'll steal your money and steal your identity.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Okay, background. I am a military veteran 62 years old I started plumbing back in 1979, I joined the Air Force in July 1981 as a plumber. I got out of the Air Force in 1987 and worked for a few companies. I did new construction track type of work. The other company did plumbing repair and remodeling. IN 1991 I got my C-36 license For the State of California. joined the reserves in 1989, and continued to do plumbing. I had a heart attack in October of 2002, while on duty with the reserves. I stayed on orders for 5 years that was medically retired. I set plumbing aside for about 10 years I let my license expire. I renewed it a few times. About 3 years ago I started up again with the license bond and general liability insurance. Didn't get much work during the Covid pandemic sat it out. Now I am trying to build my business again, I want to focus more on drain cleaning jetting and camera work, not much on remodels except time and materials.
I bought a used box truck 2014 Chevy 3500 that I am trying to prep for drain cleaning. I have an old 2001 GMC 3500 van with only 50,000 miles also. I do the work by myself or have a buddy help or my son.
Door hangers are something to consider. My friend says so who has had the same phone number for 15 years in the same area which has been growing the last few years. He's selective about his work. has a camera, a small jetter and a son. He likes to install cleanouts and he farms out lining and concrete work when he needs to.
My father with 50 years in residential real estate said the same thing about hangers. People keep them on the refrigerator. The response rate is 1 to 2%.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Do you have a website?

If you aren't good at online marketing do you want to spend thousands and I mean thousands of hours how to do it and do it yourself? If not you need someone to build you a website, a google my business page and many many more things. It takes 5 year before google officially recognize you compared to 30 year old businesses if you do 90% of what the algorithm requires. You may see results as little as a few months if you play your cards right and put a whole lot of effort.

Be careful who you hire for SEO or a website, just like us you have pros, the hacks and those who'll steal your money and steal your identity.
Competition in your area will affect your search results the most, I think. It only took months for my web/seo person to get results. Little real competition. I had to help.
Same seo person does work for another company I know that has a lot of competition. They don't like to spend money on advertising.That company does not get the reach that the others do that spend more.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Door hangers are something to consider. My friend says so who has had the same phone number for 15 years in the same area which has been growing the last few years. He's selective about his work. has a camera, a small jetter and a son. He likes to install cleanouts and he farms out lining and concrete work when he needs to.
My father with 50 years in residential real estate said the same thing about hangers. People keep them on the refrigerator. The response rate is 1 to 2%.

Door Hangers over here are 99.5% useless. I tried it and got only 1 customer. I even got a customer 2-3 weeks after I put one on his door asking him if he had called because of the hanger, he said no I found you online, any hanger or flyers gets thrown out and not even looked at.

If you do the hanger thing you have to put them on the same doors minimum 5-10 times before it sinks in by seeing your name.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Dave what is a "Web/Seo person?

No website just e-mail

Just Googled it Search Engine Optimization
My "web/seo person" built my actual website, and did it in such a way to make (yeah) 'search engine optimization' happen.
According to him, the seo requires initial 'configuration' with a website that works well and ongoing updating.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Competition in your area will affect your search results the most, I think. It only took months for my web/seo person to get results. Little real competition. I had to help.
Same seo person does work for another company I know that has a lot of competition. They don't like to spend money on advertising.That company does not get the reach that the others do that spend more.
Competition in your area will affect your search results the most. Yes but if you outperform them in SEO then you will be on top. I'm on top of many companies that have 5-100 employees and have been in business 20-30-40 years. Cost me a few books and the rest I researched and applied many many techniques.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Door Hangers over here are 99.5% useless. I tried it and got only 1 customer. I even got a customer 2-3 weeks after I put one on his door asking him if he had called because of the hanger, he said no I found you online, any hanger or flyers gets thrown out and not even looked at.

If you do the hanger thing you have to put them on the same doors minimum 5-10 times before it sinks in by seeing your name.
Re-read my post about door hangers. Dad said the return rate is 1 or 2%. Which agrees with what you said.
Seems like you have a couple of conflicts? It's been slow versus what to do about it?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts