Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son just learned hard way. Told him watch pour of cement driveway pad and sidewalk. 4" plastic clean out for crawl space house (new) 4' ft in front of house and 3" or so above grade. Cement guy formed sidewalk, burried cleanout with gravel then put 4" cement on top. He admitted "yes I covered it up" and wanted to dig 6 ft and cut a new y into plastic (" its just plastic"-he said) Me- "no" I ain't digging how about we tunnel under sidewalk to find pipe, and saw cut it there and extend the plastic upwards and put some kind of brass cover zurn ? to flush with sidewalk. He said "you don't want cleanout in middle of sidewalk, to which I said I would have went around cleanout with sidewalk. So kid and cement guy missed it- need bailout-Motown ( prob holding up final)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thought of this....tunnel under sidewalk--- find pipe , from edge of sidewalk its closest to........dig down 16" , cut pipe , offset past side walk - 2 -90's come up in grass? no camera, no zurns, 20 $ in parts . Concrete is 1 day old how long to wait before tunneling under?

·
Registered
364 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't do it that way is because you'll be creating a soft spot under the sidewalk so it'll be more likely to crack there. It would be pretty difficult to tamp the dirt directly underneath the sidewalk.
Plus I've had issues in the past where the plumbing inspector failed us because they weren't able to look straight down from the cleanout. I don't know what your plumbing codes and inspections are like in your area but I'd check on that.
If you are going to use 90's underground make sure they're long sweep.

·
Registered
426 Posts
thought of this....tunnel under sidewalk--- find pipe , from edge of sidewalk its closest to........dig down 16" , cut pipe , offset past side walk - 2 -90's come up in grass? no camera, no zurns, 20 $ in parts . Concrete is 1 day old how long to wait before tunneling under?
Or tunnel under it, figure out exactly where it is, transfer measurements to the topside, core drill a large hole, raise it up and hydro plug the gap.

Unless you don’t want the clean out in the sidewalk?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of small core drill dead nuts over burried c.o- but also wonder how to find it without excavating under sidewalk and creating weak foundation. So far the cement guy felt so bad he offered to saw cut a section out - just trying to finness it super nice kid- but guess he will have time when snow flys .

·
Registered
426 Posts
I like the idea of small core drill dead nuts over burried c.o- but also wonder how to find it without excavating under sidewalk and creating weak foundation. So far the cement guy felt so bad he offered to saw cut a section out - just trying to finness it super nice kid- but guess he will have time when snow flys .
If I’m understanding it correctly, he took it upon himself to decide you didn’t want the clean out in the sidewalk. Nice kid or not, I’d have him cut it and do it right.

I could Locate it real close with a sonde, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling you exactly where to drill. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bit of lack of communication should've told you there was going to be a concrete pad there... if hope owner was okay with it that's one story or make it with a flush lid like a brass c.o cover with stainless screws..

if it's a crawl space I like to install 2 cleanouts one backward one forward..

it's common practice here but I think it's against code for direction of flow...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts