Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m running a gas line to a garage. Usually I’ll bring the line up outside and then go hard pipe into the building. In this case there is no floor poured yet. It would be much easier just to run the line right into the garage and pop up in the boiler room. In this case there is no floor poured yet. It would be much easier just to run the line right into the garage and pop up in The boiler room.

I’ve never run into The situation of burying a gas line under a structure. I’m really not sure if it’s legal or not I’m going to find out about it on Monday. I’m thinking no. Are you guys allowed to do it where you are?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I’m running a gas line to a garage. Usually I’ll bring the line up outside and then go hard pipe into the building. In this case there is no floor poured yet. It would be much easier just to run the line right into the garage and pop up in the boiler room. In this case there is no floor poured yet. It would be much easier just to run the line right into the garage and pop up in The boiler room.

I’ve never run into The situation of burying a gas line under a structure. I’m really not sure if it’s legal or not I’m going to find out about it on Monday. I’m thinking no. Are you guys allowed to do it where you are?
I don't do much gaswork but I know there are different requirements for sheathing the pipe in different situations. I think you're best bet is to put it in a conduit buried at least 18" below anything that won't be dirt/fill like the wire mesh or insulation. A conduit would also allow you to change the line later if it develops a leak.

Why not just call the inspector and ask what he likes to see? Don't tell him you're doing the job now, just say a GC asked you and you told him you'd check the code book for a good answer ;)

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
276 Posts
I don't do much gaswork but I know there are different requirements for sheathing the pipe in different situations. I think you're best bet is to put it in a conduit buried at least 18" below anything that won't be dirt/fill like the wire mesh or insulation. A conduit would also allow you to change the line later if it develops a leak.

Why not just call the inspector and ask what he likes to see? Don't tell him you're doing the job now, just say a GC asked you and you told him you'd check the code book for a good answer ;)
This. Check your local codes, but IPC for sure requires a vented conduit for gas lines run under a slab. You'll probably also want a shut off outside the structure.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
...........You'll probably also want a shut off outside the structure.
Unless you have a deathwish or want to collect on the homeowner's insurance ;)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
In Kentucky,no gas line under concrete slab,have to bring it up outside the building then hard pipe or flex pipe to each location

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can’t ask the inspector until Monday and the issue came up Friday afternoon. The answer after some digging is no buried lines inside.
Seems kind of silly, it’s probably less likely to have a leak with one fitting on the buried line vs the 20 I’m going to have inside getting to the same location. If it does leak ten years down the road, well a leak is a leak. Is an underground leak really more dangerous than an above ground leak? Easier to locate and repair, yes.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It can fill a whole wall/ceiling/drop ceiling with gas before anyone smells it as well. I’d think there’s less volume under a slab as most of the area is occupied by dirt. Also far fewer sources of ignition under there. If it did explode I’d imagine having 4” of reinforced concrete between the building and the explosion would be a good thing vs drywall or some ceiling tiles.

however as it’s illegal the argument is futile as I won’t be doing it.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
What kind of pipe are you running? How big does it need to be?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
.......... If it did explode I’d imagine having 4” of reinforced concrete between the building and the explosion would be a good thing vs drywall or some ceiling tiles.
An explosion in a weak container is loud. An explosion in a strong container is a bomb!!

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
1-1/4” SDR 11 and black/galvanized schedule 40 steel.
Do you use teflon tape on your threaded joints so the whisps of teflon get stuck in the regulator and hold the diaphragm open?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. As per code, Gas is required to have a minimum ten wraps of Teflon. I also put a dab of clear silicone on each thread I have made at Home Depot. I test every line I do to 30psi with my trusty 200lb gauge. Never had a leak yet.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Rectorseal #5 isn't legal due to it being combustible.
Is that a local regulation?

Last I knew most of them were petroleum based and therefore flammable. The ones that ain't petroleum based are alcohol based, those are usually the "adhesive" pipe dopes.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 20 of 24 Posts