Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving much thought into building a jetter in the back of my low roof kuv with the main 3/8 x 300’ hose reel coming out of the passenger large compartment door. I don’t want a trailer jetter as I can’t park one anywhere & I’m wanting a bigger motor than the brute. I’m thinking of a kohler command 38hp motor and wanting to get the upper limits of what a 3/8 hose can deliver( 10-12gpm I believe ) main reason for building is if I put the pieces together I can make it any footprint size I want. I would like to have full remote Capability ( water on/off , throttle up/down , on/off , hose reel in/out ) I have been trying to read and research as much as I can. If anyone has any tips or resources they Would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and happy Friday

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
............ wanting to get the upper limits of what a 3/8 hose can deliver( 10-12gpm I believe ) ..............
Where are you going to put the water tank? It sounds like you're going to use more water than a garden hose could provide, even with your jetter pump sucking on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you going to put the water tank? It sounds like you're going to use more water than a garden hose could provide, even with your jetter pump sucking on it.
Yes very similar to the brute cart jetter I would put in either one or two high pressure low volume Fill valves split those if I decided to use two with a Y and I have one solid three-quarter inlet feeding somewhere between a 50 to 80 gallon poly water holding tank. What I’m trying to figure out is the best way to connect pump to motor and literature for proper sizing as well as any diagrams showing how to run feed from water tank to pump and allow for a bypass etc., also any information regarding high-quality remote control set ups would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
232 Posts
Seems like a dumb question but what about the exhaust?

If you don't want the headache of building your own unit mytana offers a van mounted unit that can either do 4400 psi @8gpm or 3000psi @16gpm and they have a remote you can do as an add on its the compact pro

·
Registered
436 Posts
The remote and all the goodies to make it work will cost you a small fortune.
That said, remote control is a must. Especially if you’re by yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The remote and all the goodies to make it work will cost you a small fortune.
That said, remote control is a must. Especially if you’re by yourself.
Yes I know the remote control will cost money and I also know that it’s critical honestly my concern isn’t necessarily price it’s getting everything packed in a very small area and being able to just open one of the side doors Pullhose and start jetting With very minimal set up, here in Southern California parking can be very tight so pulling a trailer jetter isn’t always an easy thing to do, having it mounted in a van would make it a whole lot easier, I am honestly leaning towards getting a fully loaded broot cart jetter to start out with that way I can put it in and out of different vehicles and then later when I am able to hire more people and grow this business a little bigger I’d like to get a small box truck With a 10 foot box probably a supreme body with the rollup door in the back and then get a side door and have a jetter and fill real right there with the fill tank and components behind it and then the rest of the van used for lining And Apoxsee coating. Make that a dedicated sewer and drain van, but I was just seeing if it would be possible to do that with this smaller KUV. Honestly I bought this thing for an apprentice I am training right now to be able to do small service calls on his own once he’s ready and so he could drive to A job site and I could line him out and he would have tools and parts on his van after I showed him how to do it

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Seems like a dumb question but what about the exhaust?
That was my next question! I'm not trying to break balls, it's just something I've thought about before too and configuring the tank and the engine is the most difficult part. Putting the engine behind the cab like he wants will give him the least access to the engine for repair.

I would keep it all on one side of the van, mounting the engine in the cabinet behind the hose reel cabinet. Just make sure to put your other heavy stuff like pipe wrenches and acetylene tank on the other side of the van to even out the weight.

Putting the water tank behind the cab is a good spot for all that weight and it will stay the warmest during winter. Water is 8.34lbs per gallon. At 50 gallons you're talking 400+lbs!!!! I would pop rivet a 1/4" sheet of steel below the tank.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Is he still active here? I haven't heard from him in a long while
He got fed up with certain people and ran his mouth, not sure if he was banned or suspended or just scolded and took off. He wasn't getting the praise he wanted about his DIY flexshaft class either. It's a shame because most of us really liked him and he knows his schit. I wish he'd come back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Back to original conversation, if money is no obstacle why not just go with a prebuilt skid unit that has the bells and whistles you need?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Back to original conversation, if money is no obstacle why not just go with a prebuilt skid unit that has the bells and whistles you need?

In his original post he says his main reason for building his own is controlling the footprint/configuration.

Presumably he's looked at those skids and doesn't like the size/shape. Although I kind of agree with you, buy a prebuilt skid, try it as is even if it ain't easy to fit in, and then if you like it disassemble and re-pipe so it fits the van the way you like.

Maybe money is an issue and he wants to buy it Johnny Cash style. Also, if he builds it himself it should be really easy to fix/service.

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
He got fed up with certain people and ran his mouth, not sure if he was banned or suspended or just scolded and took off. He wasn't getting the praise he wanted about his DIY flexshaft class either. It's a shame because most of us really liked him and he knows his schit. I wish he'd come back.
He’s been here and posted recently, but yeah, not as much as before. It’s been a couple years at least since I talked with him. I know he’s on other forums too. If you want to build a jetter, he’s the man to consult.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts