Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a AO SMITH BTN-200 on April 10. The heater was working fine for the last 2 weeks and then went out yesterday. Of course it was cold all day and I get the call at 6:00 pm that they had no hot water.:furious: I drove up there and checked the heater out and could find no obvious signs of problems. I turned the heater off and back on and it fired fine. I waited for 3 hours so that it could cycle naturally and it stayed on and cycled properly every time. My question is this. Have any of you experienced these new low combustion heaters shutting off in high wind situations? We had a storm yesterday with gusty 50 mph winds. The heater has a 6" flue (25') and 2 90's. I could not get on the roof and check the cap and now it is bothering me that that may be the problem. I hate call backs especially when I can't figure what caused it. I did test the gas pressure at the manifold with my manometer and it tested at 8" w.c. The gas company put in a new meter at the time of the install because of a gas fluctuation problem. All I can figure is either a bad module or possibly the heavy winds forced to much back pressure in the vent:confused1: which caused a problem on fire up. This is only the 2nd of the low combustion 100 gallon heaters that I have done so I am feeling dazed and confused

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Did they have hot water when you pulled up?

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
AO Smith is c rap in my book. The only one I ever installed I have to go back and clean the combustion air filter at the bottom every so often. If the unit is in a laundry room, it makes it way worse.

Some things seem so simple and small, look for those things first !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also this is the only appliance on the vent and it is in a water heater closet with 2 18" x 36" vents cut in to the back wall for make up air

1 - 7 of 7 Posts