Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it this morning at our shop meeting, a rep from CSCO came by and said be ready for major changes in plumbing material use, I don't have all the details, and don't have the source for what was said, I guess in Ca, it will be the 1st state to see this happen, and anyone here from there please chime in, but I have been told that any and all brass will be banned for use cause lead leaching into the potable water, in a few years all fixtures will have to be made for another metal other then brass, look out plastic, I do hope they don't do this. Was also told to get ready for new toilet to hit the market, 1 gal flush toilets will be the new green thing, you think we had probles when they came out with the 1.6'ers , want till these hit the market.

I not kidding anyone here, this is going to happen and happen real soon.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Can't they make lead free brass or bronze? I thought I heard somewhere that you could, or heard "of" it? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Are you talking about the cheap thin walled crap they use for fixtures, or things like red brass nipples, or both?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Valves, faucets, anything that had brass in it, I'll learn more about this in the coming few days and find out where this source of info is coming from, as far as I know Ca is the source. I think both

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
The Delta rep cam by last month with a sample of their new faucet line. There is not one single bit of brass on it. The supplies are built in and are 1/2" pex.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This will only be for new and remodel construction, existing will be grandfathered in.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I heard it this morning at our shop meeting, a rep from CSCO came by and said be ready for major changes in plumbing material use, I don't have all the details, and don't have the source for what was said, I guess in Ca, it will be the 1st state to see this happen, and anyone here from there please chime in, but I have been told that any and all brass will be banned for use cause lead leaching into the potable water, in a few years all fixtures will have to be made for another metal other then brass, look out plastic, I do hope they don't do this. Was also told to get ready for new toilet to hit the market, 1 gal flush toilets will be the new green thing, you think we had probles when they came out with the 1.6'ers , want till these hit the market.

I not kidding anyone here, this is going to happen and happen real soon.

Bronze fittings are outlawed in 2010, and same year, toilets are 1.26 gallons.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
The Delta rep cam by last month with a sample of their new faucet line. There is not one single bit of brass on it. The supplies are built in and are 1/2" pex.

Delta has the new Diamond tech with it came intergrated 3/8" pex supplies, not sure i liked it. The lines were to long and I was afraid to cut them shorter and use the cheap azz plastic ferrall that came with it.

oh well, gonna have to stop all waranties if I can't trust the material I install.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WCP so what does this mean to you, what problems is this going to create?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Brass is not going to be outlawed in California. Brass fittings, valves and faucets which convey water for "Human Consumption" will be limited to a 0.25% lead which is considered lead-free brass. Look for the cost of everything to skyrocket. The law takes effect 1/10 but many manufacturers are already gearing up for it.

Mark

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Hmm. This doesn't suprise me. Haven't they put tags on new faucets for quite a while saying something like this faucet contains minerals known to cause cancer in state of California?

I think it's somewhat of a stretch myself.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will good, the rep was fast to talk, Oregon will follow suit soon after it takes place in Ca

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
My warranty is 90 days labor, 0 on parts. Every single time I install products, I disclaim the quality...no matter the price/manufacturer.

The only brass I use is for expansion tanks on the w.h. I guess I could go copper easy enough.

I appreciate the Health Departments looking out for us. Maybe we all will live to be 100---senile as hell, but 100 all the same.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
WCP so what does this mean to you, what problems is this going to create?

um, really none, bronze is used alot in propress fittings over 2", lucky I didn't vuy the jaws for that, I will buy the xl-c jaws for copper fittings.

As far as the toilets, I thing the manufactures have learned alot formt eh last decrease, so they are better prepared. I have been to sloan and kohler rountables.

I think it will be ok. I doubt they cvan illiminate brass, what would we do for isolation fittings, like between copper and galvanized? I have seen thos dielectrics fail big time, I would never use them

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wonder if they're ever going to ban PVC/CPVC for potable water distribution. This stuff also has some metals in it that may be of concern.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wowwww, I use brass nipples all of the time for tub spouts and body sprays, etc.... I use domestic rough bronze fittings for certain well work and copper x male elbows, etc....

I'm really curious to see what type of materials will be used in its place.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Is anyone aware of substitutions for Brass? I don't think we'll be get along with out it...I've replaced a ton of Galvy but with no replacement, that will certainly lead to more calls, pissed off customers etc....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts