Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is that brand that you swear at every time it shows up on a repair call? Or if the customer hands it to you for install? No-name brands don't count.

Mine are Pfister faucets and anything American Standard that isn't a 2 piece toilet. They're just a pain to work on, and there are so many parts that it could be that it's hard to keep them on the truck.

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
Depends on what we’re talking about. Smith heaters are the worst ones out there, with the exception of the ‘50-60s heaters still in service. Faucets, I will have to say Grohe. I will say they’re high quality faucets, but can be head scratchers! Anything with the name Sterling. Both Kohler and AS like reinventing the toilet, specialty parts, poor flushers for the most part.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
321 Posts
For me it’s pipe valves and fittings that are made in China. Especially black iron fittings. The castings are always inconsistent and your work looks like garbage when your doing something along the lines of making a large manifold and your tees are all different or you have to spin some threads all the way in before they are tight and others barely get the threads caught and there too tight to keep cranking them in.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,712 Posts
price fister faucets. american standard faucets, mixit faucets.

legend sweat ball valves....

smith heaters.... cheap water softeners from hardware stores....Water Boss, Whirlpool, Morton, GE...

cant think of anything else....

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
price fister faucets. american standard faucets, mixit faucets.

legend sweat ball valves....

smith heaters.... cheap water softeners from hardware stores....Water Boss, Whirlpool, Morton, GE...

cant think of anything else....
I haven’t had any problem with legend sweat BVs. Once I got a box of 3/4 and every single one of leaked from the packing nut. Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I haven’t had any problem with legend sweat BVs. Once I got a box of 3/4 and every single one of leaked from the packing nut. Other than that, no problems.
This is sarcasm right?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
For me it’s pipe valves and fittings that are made in China. Especially black iron fittings. The castings are always inconsistent and your work looks like garbage when your doing something along the lines of making a large manifold and your tees are all different or you have to spin some threads all the way in before they are tight and others barely get the threads caught and there too tight to keep cranking them in.
I had that problem yesterday, but 1”x3/4” brass bushing. I had the Pex adapter threaded all the way in still leaked, added more tape and dope, still leaked, pulled it apart checked for cracks, then dope tape dope it back together, leaks. Got mad and threw it in the scrap bin.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
View attachment 129769
better than these Chinese 304 90’s that came stress cracked.

I will never forget.....I was pulling a well pump with a guy, in february, in a snow storm, freezing out. 20' sticks of pvc, 200' down. We get the new pump on, fix a number of chafes in the wire set while putting it down, turn it on, and the pitless is spraying. We tried changing the o-ring, still sprays. by the time we get the new pitless set it's pretty dark. We are cold, wet, and angry.

New pitless has a sandcasting hole. New one gets to us and it's pitch black out. Second one has a sandcasting hole in the same spot!!!!! The guy I was working with chucked both off into the woods. He was not a happy camper.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will never forget.....I was pulling a well pump with a guy, in february, in a snow storm, freezing out. 20' sticks of pvc, 200' down. We get the new pump on, fix a number of chafes in the wire set while putting it down, turn it on, and the pitless is spraying. We tried changing the o-ring, still sprays. by the time we get the new pitless set it's pretty dark. We are cold, wet, and angry.

New pitless has a sandcasting hole. New one gets to us and it's pitch black out. Second one has a sandcasting hole in the same spot!!!!! The guy I was working with chucked both off into the woods. He was not a happy camper.
I've had that happen to me with two jet assembly's on the same well. Almost same situation, snow and rain storm, well seal was a ***** getting to break free, and was centered in a pit 2 36" cement tiles deep. Well was heavy with iron. We ended up pulling it 4 times. First two for defective parts then the twice more cause a chunk of iron got caught in the nozzle twice. Guy sold the house 3 months later and new owner had us convert to a submersible and raise the casing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,712 Posts

Thats the problem, you just said it... Nothing is more fun than instaling some plumbing mess with a legend ball valve soldered
right in the middle of a perfect job only to see it start to drip out of the threaded part where they screw them together.... They use very
crappy pipe thread dope and the acetylene torch burns it out....

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The faucets with the phunny name ,Pfister
Tuscany faucets from Menards
I walked past a Phister rep one day, he was at a table with Kohler, Delta, etc nearby at their tables. Some sort of a plumbing day in a home depot parking lot. Anyway, i told him his brand had cost me more time and money right out of the box than all other brands combined.

The other brand reps had a chuckle.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

Thread a 2" black iron coupling onto a stick of pipe and it wobbles as it turns. How can you manufacturer (sell) a fitting that isn't even threaded straight? I love it when a customer specs American made black iron pipe.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
321 Posts
Thread a 2" black iron coupling onto a stick of pipe and it wobbles as it turns. How can you manufacturer (sell) a fitting that isn't even threaded straight? I love it when a customer specs American made black iron pipe.
I always buy Ward USA fittings unless someone specifically says not too. I understand that a lot of you guys work for yourselves and it’s hard to justify spending the extra money on domestic fittings when you have a razor thin profit margin on some jobs but at the end of the day, I work for a large company doing larger commercial jobs and they typically care more about how the job looks when I’m done and how fast we cranked it out.

·
Registered
Plumber
5 Posts
What is that brand that you swear at every time it shows up on a repair call? Or if the customer hands it to you for install? No-name brands don't count.

Mine are Pfister faucets and anything American Standard that isn't a 2 piece toilet. They're just a pain to work on, and there are so many parts that it could be that it's hard to keep them on the truck.
I personally hate anything Kohler or Crane are what I always seem to have issues with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts