Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Thats another thing. With the country being so big almost every name is already in use somewhere. I dont mind if another company somewhere else has the same name but preferably only 1 as I like being more original.

I did a google search for Rortang Plumbing, didn't find any others. I think using a danish word would be good because it will sound like a last name to americans and it will be unique, memorable, and easily explainable.

·
The captain of plumbing
290 Posts
I agree with the above posts on keeping it simple.

Use your nickname/handle you use here. I was called the Captain years before I ever even considered my own plumbing business. Today it works.

·
The captain of plumbing
290 Posts
" The Schitty Plumbing Co. "..............

Years ago when my old boss and his brother were starting their own plumbing business and were considering names, they came up with "Sanitary Housing Installation Technicians"... and they were going to abbreviate it using the first letter in each word to letter the sides of their trucks...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The name is really not as important as your reputation. You could name it Jo Blows plumbing. If you do good work at a good price nobody is going to care. As long as your making money. Go out bust your ass and build a good solid customer base. My company holds the name of the owner who died over 50 years ago. Some family members of the original owner are happy I never changed the name. They tell me it's like he's still around as long as we are in buisness. Maybe think of it like that. Use your name and maybe after your gone the company will continue and your family for generations can be proud of your accomplishments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sold my first Plumbing, electrical, mechanical business to a larger company and moved out of state. It was named using my last name. They kept the ad with my company name for about a year and would answer my old number with my company name then theirs. The business that bought me is still in business and my name and memory is long gone.

Now I have another plumbing business in the other state and was in the same delima as you trying to figure a name. I settled on my two kids first letters followed by plumbing. My thinking it would be easier to sell if not a name tied to me and better chance the name sticks.. However no matter what you name it the people get to know you the owner and you are the business no matter the name. In the end when you sell the name it my be kept or they may just want to buy your number, materials, equipment and a no competition agreement.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Right or wrong, the first idea that comes to mind is 'Great Dane Plumbing'.
Maybe a picture on the side of the van with you on one knee holding a pipe wrench, and the other hand gently resting on the top of a great danes nape area.

People will be thinking,,, does this guy think alot of himself, or does he just like great danes? Does'nt matter, you would be locked into their memory at that point.

Or just Danes Plumbing. Lol

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well here was my wife's suggestion last night and no she was not drunk. Bifrost Plumbing. Logo would be a rainbow and at the end of it, a toilet with gold coins overflowing.

Im not against the name or the rainbow but the toilet with coins is a bit too weird.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Well here was my wife's suggestion last night and no she was not drunk. Bifrost Plumbing. Logo would be a rainbow and at the end of it, a toilet with gold coins overflowing.

Im not against the name or the rainbow but the toilet with coins is a bit too weird.

People would think you're a really weird irishman!

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
canuckPlumBbob
874 Posts

The irish LGBTQ plumber lol

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

I worked for a large service company in Orlando called Frank Gay Plumbing. All his vans had a rainbow on the side over his name and that was it.

He had tons of business, and as you can imagine a lot of manly establishments as well. He had a guy for night work that would take care of all these clients, but he had to let him go when he showed up to the shop one morning in a dress. True story, lol

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I worked for a large service company in Orlando called Frank Gay Plumbing. All his vans had a rainbow on the side over his name and that was it.

He had tons of business, and as you can imagine a lot of manly establishments as well. He had a guy for night work that would take care of all these clients, but he had to let him go when he showed up to the shop one morning in a dress. True story, lol

Frank was a pretty good boss, admittedly I had a bit too much of a good time the night before :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,466 Posts

logos can make or break a company, the logo you described could be interpreted as you charge a fortune for plumbing and its YOUR pot of gold your making off your customers...that logo does nothing for the customer..and if they dont know irish history to connect a rainbow and leprechauns for the pot of gold they wont understand it or miss understand it...

·
Super Moderator
8,742 Posts
logos can make or break a company, the logo you described could be interpreted as you charge a fortune for plumbing and its YOUR pot of gold your making off your customers...that logo does nothing for the customer..and if they dont know irish history to connect a rainbow and leprechauns for the pot of gold they wont understand it or miss understand it...
I was thinking the same thing with the pot of gold.

·
Super Moderator
1,849 Posts
You need a Action name, my Foster Parents and me came up with
"Rapid Rooter", which describe Fast Service, and also puts it ahead
of R.R. in the yellow pages, this was back in 1980 when they were still used,
you get the Ideal something that is not your name, so if you have trouble with
with a client you can say you are not the boss you only work there,
also that is why you can't give a discount !

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Been actually thinking about the same thing,
If i use my last name it might be hard to sell the brand one day when im too old.

On the other hand after dealing with lots of idiots over the past month im seeing how just working for someone is alot less mentally frustrating.
Kinda understanding all of tangos soap opera rants now.
Don't worry about selling the company cause you will be doing this work till the day you die

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You need a Action name, my Foster Parents and me came up with
"Rapid Rooter", which describe Fast Service, and also puts it ahead
of R.R. in the yellow pages, this was back in 1980 when they were still used,
you get the Ideal something that is not your name, so if you have trouble with
with a client you can say you are not the boss you only work there,
also that is why you can't give a discount !
There used to be a company in my area called “The Lone Drainer and Pronto” with Lone Ranger style decals on the van

21 - 40 of 42 Posts