Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new. The intermittent green light is flashing and other than an occasional noise it's working fine. I read through the trouble shooting guide and it did not mention any error code that was signaled by a sound, just different light patterns. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If it's tweeting did a bird fell in the vent?
I had one call to clean a bathroom exhaust duct because it smelled. There was a booster fan in the attic that pulled air from 6" round duct from three different bathrooms. Each bathroom had a boot above the ceiling with a small grill installed through. The tenants called maintenance a week prior when they heard some birds and some feathers fell out. Then the next day they heard chirping so they called again. They called every day for the next week to remind maintenance. Each day the chirping got less and less.

By the time I got there the chirping was gone. One of the adults got stuck in the damper that must have been wedged open from rust but finally fell. The other adult and chicks were in the nest. I pulled the adults out by hand and vacuumed out the rest of the debris.

That was not an ideal job.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Brand new. The intermittent green light is flashing and other than an occasional noise it's working fine. I read through the trouble shooting guide and it did not mention any error code that was signaled by a sound, just different light patterns. Any ideas?
Is it possible the sound is coming from something else? High pitched noises can be difficult to locate. Maybe your smoke or c.o. detector has a low battery.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's definitely coming from the inside of the tank. Rotated the baffle, sound persisted, though not as often. Rotated again, same. Wife is not happy. Guess I'll have to take B-W up on it's offer to send me a new one. Or, I could salvage the baffle on the old one which is still in the bone yard at my shop.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's definitely coming from the inside of the tank. Rotated the baffle, sound persisted, though not as often. Rotated again, same. Wife is not happy. Guess I'll have to take B-W up on it's offer to send me a new one. Or, I could salvage the baffle on the old one which is still in the bone yard at my shop.
I'd say just learn to live with it,lololololol tell wifey to ignore it the way she does you lololol

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Is the dip tube broke or fell down in tank???that would cause racket I'm sure

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The chirp happens when the burner is firing. Tech support suggested that it might be caused by expansion. They recommended an expansion tank. I countered with: "If so, why don't my neighbors (who all know I'm a plumber) complain to me about this phenomenon? And, why didn't the previous B/W tank make the same noise?"

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The chirp happens when the burner is firing. Tech support suggested that it might be caused by expansion. They recommended an expansion tank. I countered with: "If so, why don't my neighbors (who all know I'm a plumber) complain to me about this phenomenon? And, why didn't the previous B/W tank make the same noise?"
Crickets was the answer I'm sure,I'd say that particular heater has a defect somewhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is your gas line to the heater the flex type? ie,Gastite? and is 1/2"!
I have seen it numerous times where the noise is coming from the gas line. The gas flow over the corrugated line makes a hummimg noise on occasion. You must either hard pipe the gas line or change it to the next size up, usaully to 3/4"

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have seen it numerous times where the noise is coming from the gas line. The gas flow over the corrugated line makes a hummimg noise on occasion. You must either hard pipe the gas line or change it to the next size up, usaully to 3/4"
Like those flexible straws they put in kids drinks. They make great whistles!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm sure that could happen but I have never come across this in 26 yrs but that don't mean nothing,it sounds like the gas pressure is to high if that is happening,pressure needs to be checked and new regulator put on

1 - 20 of 25 Posts