Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current trend with modern commercial condensing boilers is for smaller water volume and circulating water past heat exchanger. Obviously this creates possible problems due to the larger numbers of parts (pumps )etc.

Anyway I have recently been shown (in advance of launch) a new "old fashioned" style boiler with what seems to be impressive technical specs (please see below)

I just wanted to know whether anyone felt that the modern boiler design was better for any other reasons other than size? Efficiency of the model below seems just as good but I am sure there must be a catch.

108% gross efficiency (98% net)
NO minimum flow rate, meaning no secondary circulation pumps and less electrical consumption
NO minimum return temperature
Mixed temperature returns need no additional equipment as just plumbed straight into water tank.
12 year guarantee longest in the industry
Cascades are done in parallel not serial, meaning no computers or other equipment is required.
Dirt in system settles in bottom of tank meaning boilers can be connected to old heating systems without any modifications.

NOx emissions less than 16 ppm
Noise less than 35db at maximum output
Single phase electricity on all models saving further electricity
Built in building communications and remote operation on electronic control panel.
Modulating burner - 5:1 turn down ratio
Pre-mix burner

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Hi, welcome to PZ. I am not sure, but Nathan does have an HVAC site somewhere. I am trying to find a link for you. I am not going to close this thread as plumbing and water heating go together. I will find the link and post it for you.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
The current trend with modern commercial condensing boilers is for smaller water volume and circulating water past heat exchanger. Obviously this creates possible problems due to the larger numbers of parts (pumps )etc.

Anyway I have recently been shown (in advance of launch) a new "old fashioned" style boiler with what seems to be impressive technical specs (please see below)

I just wanted to know whether anyone felt that the modern boiler design was better for any other reasons other than size? Efficiency of the model below seems just as good but I am sure there must be a catch.

108% gross efficiency (98% net)
NO minimum flow rate, meaning no secondary circulation pumps and less electrical consumption
NO minimum return temperature
Mixed temperature returns need no additional equipment as just plumbed straight into water tank.
12 year guarantee longest in the industry
Cascades are done in parallel not serial, meaning no computers or other equipment is required.
Dirt in system settles in bottom of tank meaning boilers can be connected to old heating systems without any modifications.

NOx emissions less than 16 ppm
Noise less than 35db at maximum output
Single phase electricity on all models saving further electricity
Built in building communications and remote operation on electronic control panel.
Modulating burner - 5:1 turn down ratio
Pre-mix burner
So who do you work for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Guys thanks for your replies. I will give the links a try.

I actually work for Bechtel out in Qatar project managing water works for New Airport and some retail areas as well. I just need some objective advice on this.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I wanna live in Qatar. In a balloon. With a harem. Without boilers.

You're right in that newer isn't always better. I install regular standard systems and they last years and years giving adequate service.

Reactions: gusty60
1 - 8 of 8 Posts