Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont you just love it when you rough in something according to the prints and then find out that the HVAC or fire suppresion people had to change their lines and did not say anything?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Dont you just love it when you rough in something according to the prints and then find out that the HVAC or fire suppresion people had to change their lines and did not say anything?
Just write up the change order, it's all extra.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
If I don't get it in writing , that print is the gospel. Stuff in the way would be moved. Always do work per plans. If things need changed, get an addendum, don't take a site supervisors word for it. Read your contract it says all changes in writing otherwise, it's per plans. It will also say the site supervisor does not have the stroke to change things.

They don't give everybody a set of prints for the hell of it. Sorry if I sound bitter. I been down this road before.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
One thing I try to hammer into my guys is don't lose your prints, they are the only record you have that justifies what you have done. Whenever I have a conversation about location with a GC or his foreman, first thing I do is compare ∆ dates with them. Then, it's out with the change order book.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
For the jobs we do most of the prints are marked VIF, so basically they are next to useless as anything but a rough guide.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
What does VIF mean? All a far does is get the change in writing with the approval. If it has to be done on the spot, we talk to the engineer, they give approval word of mouth. We immediately send out the far with the wording "as per conversation on this day, engineer authorized this change" or something to that effect to cover our butt.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
What does VIF mean? All a far does is get the change in writing with the approval. If it has to be done on the spot, we talk to the engineer, they give approval word of mouth. We immediately send out the far with the wording "as per conversation on this day, engineer authorized this change" or something to that effect to cover our butt.

Verify
In
Field

·
Registered
344 Posts
VIF.. Very iffy or farking impossible.... means the arch doesn't have a clue and is to lazy to research it usually.

We back charge to all VIF as our contracts say per plans as drawn. Notes are not drawings. If they clairify, fine, if they contradict, they are ignored, if they are stupid, we do an RFI...

We send RFI on all VIF notes. If he isn't willing to tell us what he wants in the plans, he can ammend them. We're not doing his job for him.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
VIF.. Very iffy or farking impossible.... means the arch doesn't have a clue and is to lazy to research it usually.

We back charge to all VIF as our contracts say per plans as drawn. Notes are not drawings. If they clairify, fine, if they contradict, they are ignored, if they are stupid, we do an RFI...

We send RFI on all VIF notes. If he isn't willing to tell us what he wants in the plans, he can ammend them. We're not doing his job for him.
We mostly do high end co-ops, the architect draws his plans before the place is demoed, so he has no idea where the stacks or the wet columns are, once the demo is done the architect answers to us, as opposed to vice versa. I have a long history of re-writing architects plans, they suck at designing plumbing systems for high rises.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
"I have a long history of re-writing architects plans, they suck at designing plumbing systems for high rises."...They suck at designing plumbing (and mechanical) systems for all structure types. They are not taugh plumbing design in school and they do not spend any time in the field. I love to see mechanical chases that don't line up floor to floor. And, I know floor space cost $$$, but how about an occasional 2x6 wall below a bathroom. It's only 2"!

·
Registered
17 Posts

I had one a year or so ago where the owner asked " why did you put the toilet there?" My response was, that is where it is on the plans. Owner says "well you can't go by that!" I guess I will wipe my ass with them then.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I had one a year or so ago where the owner asked " why did you put the toilet there?" My response was, that is where it is on the plans. Owner says "well you can't go by that!" I guess I will wipe my ass with them then.
:laughing: I use that one a bunch!

Had a job foreman tell me how HE wanted it done. I said thats ok you just have to show me the money and send the change orders through and it will happen. He kept saying at the last Autozone I did. I finally got the red ass and told him that this aint the last Autozone this is THE Autozone, and I am follwing specs because thats what my company bid on, no exceptions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if its not in writing... it does not mean anything. you cannot take someone to court an said " look i ran this line here like it shows ( as you point on the print) a print is simply a engineer's interpretation of application. the only thing that matters.... job site spec book. an its the only thing you can use as argument.. hence why it is in legel ease. but yes
its annoying when no one communicates. like sometimes just too much goin on to think of evey other guy whenyour doing your job but your working on a certian area. just do a quick take of the other prints on that area . first of all for yourself... lol hate redoing stuff when i realize i am wrong . and secondly if there are any issues... easier to hammer em out now ... then blame the sparky's later =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts