Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went and did a Blowes job and did a water heater install, this one is the one we put in. Whirlpool lifetime warranty, I'm glad we don't warranty any material we get from them. There price $768 less install.

Attachments

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
I really hope things pick up soon for you Ron.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea me too, I have money in savings to hold me for about 3 months and that's only if I get jobs to keep me going. It starting to get bad here, I have never seen it this freaking slow, I'm used to hitting $1200 on a week, it has been cut too half and sometimes less. :sad:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the price of WH only. Additional parts + labor is extra. They supply everything, I guess I stated it wrong, should have said + install my bad sorry.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
768 for a electric 50 gallon?

How much does Lowes pay for installs?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No 80 gal, they pay $283 for basic install, no changes needed, code ready, add staraps +20, minor label permit +20, mileage beyond 20 mile $2 per mile, there is a list we had to follow, I did not care to work for Blowes but with it slow I do it, have to pay the bills one way or the other. They just opened there store here and our company jumped on the wagon, from my understanding we have a contract on a monthly basis, so if things don't work right we can tell them to to know what after the time frame, unlike from what I hear about Dumb Depot where you have to sign a 1 year contract.

I spent 30 min in the isles to get parts needed, not seeing the job you just don't know what you need, it was an upgrade from a 50 to an 80, we did have to raise the water lines, all in all got it done in 1.5 hrs between the two of us dealing with it.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh on the side note, you have to where there t-shirt and place there their sign in your truck window.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Oh on the side note, you have to where there t-shirt and place there their sign in your truck window.
Did you at least use your sharpie to fix the t-shirt and sign to add the B

Do they force you to buy the shirts and signs at an insane price? I can't imagine there are any gimmees from them.

What else do they do? Full-fledged turn key new home plumbing? or just WH replacements.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
A few months ago, about the same time I was posting about _ing AHS, I did go to the local Lowes to apply to be an installer.

I stood outside that office and smoke musta got in my eyes because I started _ing crying. I ran outta there.

Wearing their _ing shirts would be like me wearing Ilplumber's shirts...it just wouldn't happen.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Wearing their _ing shirts would be like me wearing Ilplumber's shirts...it just wouldn't happen.
Truer words have never been typed Plumber. My shirts are much too purty for you:)

I wonder how long it will be before Lowe's delves in to full-fledged general contracting.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Truer words have never been typed Plumber. My shirts are much too purty for you:)

I wonder how long it will be before Lowe's delves in to full-fledged general contracting.
Depends on how much bail out money they get ;).

Ron I just don't think I could bring myself to wear their shirt. Whenever I have to go in there for something, I park in the next parking lot of the strip mall they are in and walk in through the contractors entrance. I just don't want anybody to see my truck there. Yes I do get some stuff there sometimes rather than drive the additional 7 miles one way to the nearest supply house. I get in and out as fast as I can. No way in Hades I'm installing their crap water heaters or wearing their shirt.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T's and sighs were a give me, other things they sub out are, disposal, k-sinks, bath sinks, Insta-hots, faucets, shut offs, toilets, vanity tops, tub/shower doors. I don't see on demand water heater installs, and I don't see remodel or new work on there list. So it is limited.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on how much bail out money they get ;).

Ron I just don't think I could bring myself to wear their shirt. Whenever I have to go in there for something, I park in the next parking lot of the strip mall they are in and walk in through the contractors entrance. I just don't want anybody to see my truck there. Yes I do get some stuff there sometimes rather than drive the additional 7 miles one way to the nearest supply house. I get in and out as fast as I can. No way in Hades I'm installing their crap water heaters or wearing their shirt.

Not that I want to, it's that right now I have to, times are so tight here, I have to do what I have to do.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Not that I want to, it's that right now I have to, times are so tight here, I have to do what I have to do.
Don't get me wrong. If I had to and I may, I'd be an employee of theirs, but as a business owner subbing for them, I wouldn't do it. It would defeat my reason for being an owner.

Do you have to buy all the extra parts like straps, connectors, etc?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't get me wrong. If I had to and I may, I'd be an employee of theirs, but as a business owner subbing for them, I wouldn't do it. It would defeat my reason for being an owner.

Do you have to buy all the extra parts like straps, connectors, etc?
No they supply it all. We purchase no parts. Customer makes the purchase at the store and they contract it out to us. We pick up and go do the installs, we warranty no material they supply.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Did the lowes thing for way too long. after your there awhile they will start asking you to go out and do repairs for other installers to help out lowes, that's when you really start chasing your money.:furious:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Ron, as I understand it you are working for someone else so you don't get to decide about this but please plead with your boss not to do this. Right now Blowe's is not selling water heaters, they are buying up even more market share than what they have already managed to get. I hardly get a call to replace any sort of faucet anymore and if I do they have already gotten it from Blowe's, HD, or Cosco. All of the counter top people are installing kitchen sinks now along with the faucets as part of their install. I don't know about anyone else but my business seems to be (and I haven't actually tracked it) more and more repairs of faucets, toilets and broken or leaking pipes anymore. I've seen quick connects slapped on everything including prv's, ball valves, and any manner of other things that make it just that much easier for Joe Blow Handyman to undercut us. Nobody cares about the plumbing code anymore (if they ever did) including ho's if it means it's $50 cheaper.

I really try not to focus on what the box stores are doing because I can't really stop them, but I don't have to help them. I help them enough already. I think I am going to stop.

Is anybody interested in signing on to a pledge to boycott the box stores? I don't especially want to be some kind of radical protectionist but we are getting our throats cut only they're paper cuts, a little at a time. It really is as if every receipt we get from the check out line, we are dragging across our throats.

I know this will prove to be a major inconvenience to some. Some of you may not have any other local source of supplies.

I may be out of my mind but plumbing shops are getting steam rolled and we don't even know it. Let's have some ideas here. We really need to promote the value of excellent plumbing in the public eye. The economy doesn't help but it was happening before.

LET'S HAVE SOME IDEAS! I have a couple but I will wait to hear what you guys have to say.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ron, as I understand it you are working for someone else so you don't get to decide about this but please plead with your boss not to do this.
There is no way to change his mind, he said until this recession turns back the other way, he won't lose this account, Blowes here does not just hire handymen, it is law here to use licensed plumbers unless you are the owner of the property, or you are employed by a property management. All water heater installs require a permit, no an if's or buts about it, they can get into big trouble not following the laws.

Some of what they have on the list I'm sure there is no way we could do it at what there asking, example, install a toilet shut off, $40, there is no way in hell will I go spend a hour of my time for a meer $40, I would make no money on that call, that would only pay me $15, my license is worth more then that.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts