Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the worst about not wearing eye protection. I wear glasses and tell myself that they will be good enough for eye protection when I know good and well that they are not sufficient. Well today it caught up with me.

I'm ok but I suspect that it could have been much worse. I was working above my head attempting to un-sweat a 30 year old 3/4" copper 90. It turns out it was a low spot in the piping and when the solder finally liquified, steam caused molten solder to spit out of the joint and of course landed right in my eye. I was lucky because although it burned like molten metal, it landed right in the corner of my eye and I was able to retrieve a tiny speck of solder which had by now hardened.

I would preach now about eye protection except it would be too hypocritcal for me to swallow. I'm very happy that I didn't spend the rest of the day at the emergency room or local eye foundation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wow, glad your ok. I got eye surgery about a year ago and have rarely used safety glasses. I always get crap in my eye, but will be more careful now.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine was blinded in one eye by an injury where a piece of a chisel broke off.

He transformed into a very strong advocate of safety glasses!
In fact I think he wore them to bed!:laughing:

Kinda like the cat that used up 8-lives...

·
Banned
383 Posts
years ago i worked as a pipe fitter at monsanto world headquarters and safety glasses were a must. every building on campus had a rack of uvex safety glasses at every door. it was easy when they were free. and readily accessable. ive been thinking here lately i should start wearing them again before my luck runs out.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I wear those colored cooly guy ones. The mirrored type, like the dude from bowflex.
Stylish, and safe.
Not me! I got a very unstylish nerd pair with a thick black frame.
I then wrapped the center over the bridge of the nose with white adhesive tape and one of the hinges too! :laughing:

I even tweaked them so they are a little crooked...

You can have those fruitcake cool colors!

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Not me! I got a very unstylish nerd pair with a thick black frame.
I then wrapped the center over the bridge of the nose with white adhesive tape and one of the hinges too! :laughing:

I even tweaked them so they are a little crooked...

You can have those fruitcake cool colors!
Where can I get one of those!

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I am very bad about eye protection, or used to be, I cut alot of old cast because I don't trust snapping it, and always, always had crap in my eye for days, irritation and watery eyes for 3 days! I got so tired of it, I make sure my eye protection is on, but it is not full proof, I had some make it to my still a couple jobs ago.

Your eyes are very important in this trade! no eyes,.,......we'll, may be hard for you to work,.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For some reason as of the past 6 monthes I have basically started wearing eye protection 99% of the time on shift all the time. And it's now become second nature to me to the point where I feel naked and weird if I don't have eye protection on. It's sort like when you wear a seat belt when driving - I have to have a seat belt on and it's that tiny bit of resistance on my chest from the seat belt that makes me feel right and able to drive but if the seat belt is off I naturally fall forward for some reason which alerts me that my seat belt isn't on.

I think the key is to have good safety glasses that don't obstruct your vision or annoy you as far as comfort. This means probably ones without a frame and ones that fit you just right. The funny thing is I'm more of a MIlwaukee & Bosch guy but the safety glasses I choose to wear are those $5 DeWalt ones at the local tool store that have the yellow sides and clear lenses. That's because they're comfortable and don't obstruct my visoin. I have 2 pairs of these in action right now that I have in the van on the dash to grab to go to work and then I have a back up pair for when/if these ones get too scratched up but they actually last quite a long time and I haven't had to replace them yet.

When I was a young apprentice I had to go to the hospital twice to get metal out of my eye. Once from hammer drilling above my head and hitting re-bar, and the ohter from going under a lav sink, looking up to tighten some nuts and supplies and having some metal dust come down in my eye. It's a PITA sitting in emergency knowing you have a small piece of metal embedded in the outer surface of your eye and the only way it's coming out is this little drill the Emergency Doctor has to zing it and the rust out. Much more convenient to wear eye protection then waste your time (and time off work or living your life) sitting in emergency.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a crappy excuse but the biggest reason that I don't wear them is that I've never found a pair that won't fog up on me. I'm pretty hot natured and so within just a couple of minutes the things are so fogged up that I can't see anything. I do wear eye glasses but they have small lenses but even they will fog up often when I'm working, more so in the colder months. Anything I try to wear that fits tight enough to my face to actually do some good will leave me unable to see within 3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
For some reason as of the past 6 monthes I have basically started wearing eye protection 99% of the time on shift all the time. And it's now become second nature to me to the point where I feel naked and weird if I don't have eye protection on. It's sort like when you wear a seat belt when driving - I have to have a seat belt on and it's that tiny bit of resistance on my chest from the seat belt that makes me feel right and able to drive but if the seat belt is off I naturally fall forward for some reason which alerts me that my seat belt isn't on.

I think the key is to have good safety glasses that don't obstruct your vision or annoy you as far as comfort. This means probably ones without a frame and ones that fit you just right. The funny thing is I'm more of a MIlwaukee & Bosch guy but the safety glasses I choose to wear are those $5 DeWalt ones at the local tool store that have the yellow sides and clear lenses. That's because they're comfortable and don't obstruct my visoin. I have 2 pairs of these in action right now that I have in the van on the dash to grab to go to work and then I have a back up pair for when/if these ones get too scratched up but they actually last quite a long time and I haven't had to replace them yet.

When I was a young apprentice I had to go to the hospital twice to get metal out of my eye. Once from hammer drilling above my head and hitting re-bar, and the ohter from going under a lav sink, looking up to tighten some nuts and supplies and having some metal dust come down in my eye. It's a PITA sitting in emergency knowing you have a small piece of metal embedded in the outer surface of your eye and the only way it's coming out is this little drill the Emergency Doctor has to zing it and the rust out. Much more convenient to wear eye protection then waste your time (and time off work or living your life) sitting in emergency.
Like Scott K ,,,, I had metal in my eyes ,,, 8 in the right and 7 in the left

ALL had to be drilled out ,,,, scary as HELL ! Glasses Lads , Glasses !!!

Cal

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Worst pain i have ever went through in my life was when a piece of cut brass fell in my eye, and like a dumbass i rubbed it and scratched the lens, retna, cornia, something important like that. Had to where a patch for a few days and everytime i blinked it felt like some one was stabbing my eye with a needle. Crap, my eyes are watering just thinking about that.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Smells - glad to hear you are okay! I'm certain you haven't tried on every pair out there - find a pair that works and doesn't fog up. Your eyes are the most important tool you possess. Just try being a plumber without them.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Went by Graingers the other day and got a $12 pair that have foam around them . similar to swimmers goggles . Taped up the front air holes ,,,, I use them when I use my grinder . Now,, nothing "seeps" into my glasses and eyes :)

Cal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts