Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right:furious: Had a service call at a rundown trailer home earlier today. Walk in and the HO told me the dog bites. Kept barking and barking so I walked on in and went to work on the sink. Needed a tool from the truck so I get up to walk out and the dog attacks me:mad: Luckily I prefer loose fitting jeans so all she grapped onto was my pants leg. This thing was going ape s:censored:. I booted it across the living room and told the HO to put the dog up or she would have to call another plumber. She put it up. Great ending to the day!

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I hate that. I mean if you need ANY body to come to your home to do work regardless of the trade, the least you could do is have the courtesy to lock it up.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
It happened to me once, think I did a post on it here somewhere.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
What you do in these situations if you hear a dog upon entering the structure is to tell the property owner has to put the animals up in a separate room away from the work area.

IF they start by saying they are as harmless as can be, tell them it is per insurance regulations and if they'd like to reschedule for another time to come out, we can.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
What you do in these situations if you hear a dog upon entering the structure is to tell the property owner has to put the animals up in a separate room away from the work area.

IF they start by saying they are as harmless as can be, tell them it is per insurance regulations and if they'd like to reschedule for another time to come out, we can.
I disagree on this. I posted awhile back on CT about this. Here's the short version. First, if the dog seriously seems like a man eater then yes, absolutely the ho needs to do something. Fortunately most of them already know this so you don't have to ask.

If the dog is just barking, cut him some slack, he's a dog, that's his job. When I enter a home with a dog(s) I try to make every effort to make friends with the dog as soon as I get in the door. Dogs are excellent relationship builders with the client (love me, love my dog, oh hey you love my dog, that must mean you love me too). I know this is somewhat simplistic psychology but don't underestimate how much people love their pets. Dogs for most people are a part of the family and when you show them attention and kindness it's interpreted by the owner the same as if you showed it to one of their kids (without the creepiness). Kids are a whole other subject though and you should exercise extreme caution when dealing with the ho's kids. Make friends with the dog though and your stock instantly goes up in the ho's eyes.

It's easy for me though since I already love dogs. I even have (or I should say my daughter has) a little miniature, long haired, weinerschnitzel hound doggie myself. Oh she's a fearsome beast, ... as long as whatever she is barking at is on the other side of the door that is.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I disagree on this. I posted awhile back on CT about this. Here's the short version. First, if the dog seriously seems like a man eater then yes, absolutely the ho needs to do something. Fortunately most of them already know this so you don't have to ask.

If the dog is just barking, cut him some slack, he's a dog, that's his job. When I enter a home with a dog(s) I try to make every effort to make friends with the dog as soon as I get in the door. Dogs are excellant relationship builders with the client (love me, love my dog, oh hey you love my dog, that must mean you love me too). I know this is somewhat simplistic psychology but don't underestimate how much people love their pets. Dogs for most people are a part of the family and when you show them attention and kindness it's interpreted by the owner the same as if you showed it to one of their kids (without the creepiness). Kids are a whole other subject though and you should exercise extreme caution when dealing with the ho's kids. Make friends with the dog though and your stock instantly goes up in the ho's eyes.

It's easy for me though since I already love dogs. I even have (or I should say my daughter has) a little miniature, long haired, weinerschnitzel hound doggie myself. Oh she's a fearsome beast, ... as long as whatever she is barking at is on the other side of the door that is.
Most of the time I do the same, so I agree with you, but the HO first words were the dog bites. If she knows that then dog should be put away. Instead it took a number 12 to the head and still got locked up.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Most of the time I do the same, so I agree with you, but the HO first words were the dog bites. If she knows that then dog should be put away. Instead it took a number 12 to the head and still got locked up.
Yes, and you are absolutely right. I would interpret that as an insult if the ho knew the dog would bite but didn't think enough of the man who had come to serve her to put the dog up. Very bad form.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
If a HO told me that their dog bites I would tell the HO I carry a gun, and I will use it. If they don't take care of the dog at that point, they are responsible for the dead dog, I am not going to expose myself to whatever disease the dog may have because the HO is lazy.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
If a HO told me that their dog bites I would tell the HO I carry a gun, and I will use it. If they don't take care of the dog at that point, they are responsible for the dead dog, I am not going to expose myself to whatever disease the dog may have because the HO is lazy.
hence the username USP .45!
HK that is!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, and you are absolutely right. I would interpret that as an insult if the ho knew the dog would bite but didn't think enough of the man who had come to serve her to put the dog up. Very bad form.
I felt bad after cause I had it pinned to the floor before she could get to it. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It dont matter if the HO says the dog wont bite, what if it does, then what?

Well if it is a smaller dog kick it up side the head, when it makes a dive for you leg again pin it down to floor with your steel toe boots, worked for me:thumbup:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Well if it is a smaller dog kick it up side the head, when it makes a dive for you leg again pin it down to floor with your steel toe boots, worked for me:thumbup:
In reality she probably didn't even need to put the dog up after that. Dogs generally respect brute force.

When my daugter was about 2 years old we had, as best as we could figure a chow/corgi mix. This was a medium sized dog with red coat but not as thick as a traditional chow's, black/purple tongue, and a body type that most closely resembled a corgi only about 2 - 3 times a normal Corgi's size and with slightly longer legs. Great dog! Absolutely loved people. Somewhat aggressive towards other dogs but only until they submitted. Because of the reputation of Chows however, I never quite trusted her around my daughter.

One night we're watching t.v., the dog is half asleep at my feet, and my daughter is toddling around. Well she hurt the dog accidentally by stepping on her. The dog is startled and jumps up growling at my daughter. Before the dog knew what hit her I was off of the couch, had the dog by the skin of her neck and back, slammed her to the floor on her back, was on all 4s over the dog with my hand on her neck, screaming all sorts of things in her face.

Now the whole thing was just an accident. My daughter didn't try to hurt the dog and dog reacted in a perfectly natural way. However, the dog had to learn her place in the family. She learned and to my knowledge never made another sound when my kids were around.

Very loyal dog. She would follow me anywhere.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I had an incident a few years back with my ex-mother in laws dog...
A black lab great dane mix... A big boy...
Any way the ex mother in law and her cretin sisters were all making up some holiday feast when as usual they start getting loud and arguing...
It's an ethnic thing! (middle eastern decent) Trust me there never will be peace in the middle east! They were family! My ex-wife was adopted!
Anyway the dog decides he's heard enough and goes and grabs one of the sisters arm Clamping down a bit... Not hard enough to draw any blood but enough to get attention.

I get stuck dragging the dog out side...

The dog goes to take a bite out of me and we go flying out the door together... I had him on the ground, knee on his chest and had his neck throttled down to about the size of 1 1/4" tubular... The wife came out the door and yelled to get off the dog... I never got a good look at that dog again... All I ever saw was a tail disappearing around the corner...

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts

If the dog is just barking, cut him some slack, he's a dog, that's his job. When I enter a home with a dog(s) I try to make every effort to make friends with the dog as soon as I get in the door. Dogs are excellent relationship builders with the client (love me, love my dog, oh hey you love my dog, that must mean you love me too). I know this is somewhat simplistic psychology but don't underestimate how much people love their pets. Dogs for most people are a part of the family and when you show them attention and kindness it's interpreted by the owner the same as if you showed it to one of their kids (without the creepiness). Kids are a whole other subject though and you should exercise extreme caution when dealing with the ho's kids. Make friends with the dog though and your stock instantly goes up in the ho's eyes.

I'm not a dog expert so I can't judge if muffy or hitler is the worse of two evils. I'm a dog owner/lover myself and I've been in too many situations where good turns to ugly too quick...

I don't need interaction with animals to do plumbing.

I follow the same known ritual as the utility company, the cable company and the telephone company when it comes to pets in the home.

I've never lost a call from my stern statements on this, ever.

I do however know of a dog who backed up and knocked over a full can of cleaner on a linoleum floor when the owner opened up the fridge door...

The plumber's insurance paid for that as well. He shouldn't of had the can partially open while in use where the animal could knock it over. :no:

$2100.00 and trying to fight it was a joke.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We all have a story about dogs. All I can say is when the universal phrase hits the air.... You know "don't worry he doesn't bite" and you look down at the little six pound rabid sack of anger is pissed and wants ankle meat.

Just simply reply like this, "Thats o.k. Mrs Jones my attorney doesn't bite either".

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like that proud plumber. I got an issue with dogs in the work area if you dont have the respect to put your animal up then you dont want me in your home to do your repair. I have a very protective large dog and he does his job of protecting my house. When someone comes over I put him away that simple.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts