Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Pre-Apprentice Trainee
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I was going to mention that book! I believe it to be based loosely around the UPC (correct me if I'm wrong...) but is still a great reference book for any installer or service personnel, regardless of jurisdiction or code.

Keep in mind though, if your jurisdiction does not recognize the UPC, then this book must be used simply as a guide, in tandem with your code book, and is not to be taken as gospel.

I'll get back to you on a price for that text though...

Hey Big Guy, let me see what kind of discount I can get on the text that my pre-apprentices use. It is a very informative book that I wish I had 10 yeard ago...
I'd definitely be interested in checking out that book. Looking for both books right now.

Looks like I'll be setting more $$$ aside during paydays....

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
U666A said:
I was going to mention that book! I believe it to be based loosely around the UPC (correct me if I'm wrong...) but is still a great reference book for any installer or service personnel, regardless of jurisdiction or code.

Keep in mind though, if your jurisdiction does not recognize the UPC, then this book must be used simply as a guide, in tandem with your code book, and is not to be taken as gospel.

I'll get back to you on a price for that text though...

Hey Big Guy, let me see what kind of discount I can get on the text that my pre-apprentices use. It is a very informative book that I wish I had 10 yeard ago...
Yeah I just use it as a guide in tandem with my code book
Even though our codes are based on the UPC I don't take any chances

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
Mississippiplum said:
Yeah I just use it as a guide in tandem with my code book
Even though our codes are based on the UPC I don't take any chances
That is a very safe maneuver. You can't trust nowadays any publication that is not distributed by the AHJ...

·
Pre-Apprentice Trainee
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I got accepted into Advanced Training! I just have to finish up the last few things in trade (which will be two to two and a half weeks TOPS) and call back, and I'll have my acceptance letter mailed over! HECK YES!!!

Full-scale 12 month pre-apprenticeship training, here I come! =)

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
I got accepted into Advanced Training! I just have to finish up the last few things in trade (which will be two to two and a half weeks TOPS) and call back, and I'll have my acceptance letter mailed over! HECK YES!!!

Full-scale 12 month pre-apprenticeship training, here I come! =)
I'm so glad this is working out for you.

Keep your eyes on the prize.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Good job man, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nice work.. Good luck!!

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
Good for you BG!!!

I can now appreciate where you are at to an extent through my pre-app students.

Some of them take entry into the trade soooo bloody seriously that failure seems almost impossible!

Keep your head up, and as my slack-jawed southern UA counterpart would say "do work son!"

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
U666A said:
Keep your head up, and as my slack-jawed southern UA counterpart would say "do work son!"

:thumbup:
Do you smell that?

Yea what is that?

That's Shake and Bake... You gotta Shake it before you Bake it!!!!

·
Pre-Apprentice Trainee
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I'm heck stoked for Advanced Training. I got to have a Plumbing Contractor a week or so ago show me how he does Rough-in's for the house I'm working on for Habitat. Everything at 90 degree angles with the appropriate fittings.

Ended up going under the house with 13-17 degree water/mud, but I didn't mind it. I enjoyed the work. It's dirty, cold, tiring work when you do it long enough in the day, and best of all, it's fun! =)

I've got approx 2 months (more like 1 1/2 months) before I ship out for Advanced Training, just gotta finish my Electrical and HVAC portions of my program and I'm off!

Hope you all are having a great day, I'm sure having a great time myself. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Epox

·
Pre-Apprentice Trainee
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Leaving on the 30th. Will complete the Drain Service-Technician (approx 3 months) then Light-Service Plumber (3 months) then go on for Service Plumber.

I am a Fully Trained Facilities Maintenance Technician now. Past all tests, skills, etc. And full completion of my internships.

Now killing time and looking for work in New Jersey so I can build the savings account while I'm in school over there.

Then, I start my profession. :thumbup:

Reactions: Epox

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Leaving on the 30th. Will complete the Drain Service-Technician (approx 3 months) then Light-Service Plumber (3 months) then go on for Service Plumber.

I am a Fully Trained Facilities Maintenance Technician now. Past all tests, skills, etc. And full completion of my internships.

Now killing time and looking for work in New Jersey so I can build the savings account while I'm in school over there.

Then, I start my profession. :thumbup:
You're going to take your Tax Payer funded skills out of State?

Are you going to return to give a little back, or are you done with the System that nurtured you and taught you a Trade?

·
Pre-Apprentice Trainee
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You're going to take your Tax Payer funded skills out of State?

Are you going to return to give a little back, or are you done with the System that nurtured you and taught you a Trade?
US Government paid for the training. Meaning all tax payers across the nation paid and is paying for me. (which I'm greatly thankful for)

Roto Rooter is who primarily funds the training for the Roto-Rooter Advanced Training Program.

I plan to return to the West Coast once I finish training, because that is where the jobs for Plumbers are at. (and where my significant other is......) I'm literally flying across the country (just like the military would do) to undergo training for 6-9 months then returning "home".

That said, training isn't finished for me. Wont be for almost a year, and then I'll be an Apprentice. 5 years later, I'll be a Journeyman Plumber. :thumbup:

But yeah, Roto Rooter's Corporation is largely responsible for my follow-ong training I'm going to on the 30th. Tax payers are helping with room and board etc. But the training itself is going to be largely covered by Roto Rooter.

Uniform, tools, etc.

I plan to take as much out of the program as I can. Because once I start work as a Plumber, that's when I'll be a fully paying tax payer.

But Job Corps is not funded by the State the center is in, its funded by the Federal Government. But I will be coming back to Washington overall. Going to be looking into Roto-Rooter, and many other Plumbing Contractors/Company's, union and non-union.

The profession and the opportunity is why I'm doing what I'm doing. I can finally have a life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BigGuy;

It is important to choose your trade now, as I did long time ago also in Job Corps. The apprenticeship through Roto-Rooter is good. What state and city are you in. Any questions feel free to ask.

·
Pre-Apprentice Trainee
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
BigGuy;

It is important to choose your trade now, as I did long time ago also in Job Corps. The apprenticeship through Roto-Rooter is good. What state and city are you in. Any questions feel free to ask.
Hello Sir. I am from the Seattle/Everett WA area.

I plan to make Plumbing my profession and career; I love Plumbing so much! It's mechanical, technical, and laborious all at the same time. And for Service and Maintenance, it's pretty stable, too. Especially when the baby-boomers go to retire in the next few years.

I love it!

And yeah, I'm strongly hoping Roto-Rooter will be good for my Apprenticeship. Looking at other Plumbing Company's, Contractors, and Utility Districts as well (always have a contingency plan).

If I may ask, did you do Plumbing in Job Corps as well? Roto-Rooter or Regular Plumbing Trade? Has it helped since you finished?

101 - 118 of 118 Posts