Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call to bid an apartment building where someone had crashed into the Gas Mains and meters and caught the building on fire. The fire burned up 2 of the ten units and damaged the other 8. I was told to give the owner 2 prices one to repipe the whole complex and one to just fix what is damaged. They said they are worried about the plumbing in the walls cause smoke was coming out where the copper supplys are in 6 of the units. I am a little overwhelmed as no one can find as built plans on these units and all I can see in the ceiling is the gas mains from one unit that was burned up. Any advice on how to proceed?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Tell them to tear out the walls so you can inspect the damage. Trying to bid on something you can not see is foolish at best. I would never attempt it. Even with plans there is no guarantee that the original plumber followed them. I for one have had to alter plans because the people who draw up those prints know little to nothing about how all the mechanical goes together. Double A could attest to that.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I got a call to bid an apartment building where someone had crashed into the Gas Mains and meters and caught the building on fire. The fire burned up 2 of the ten units and damaged the other 8. I was told to give the owner 2 prices one to repipe the whole complex and one to just fix what is damaged. They said they are worried about the plumbing in the walls cause smoke was coming out where the copper supplys are in 6 of the units. I am a little overwhelmed as no one can find as built plans on these units and all I can see in the ceiling is the gas mains from one unit that was burned up. Any advice on how to proceed?

Fire work is one of the places to go when housing is slow. Regardless of the economy there are always going to be fires. As far as bidding it really doesn't matter what's on the as builts as you are replacing everything in he one bid and replacing what missing on the other. Make sure that on either bid you address exactly what you are including and what will be extra if needed.

Mark

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Fire work is one of the places to go when housing is slow. Regardless of the economy there are always going to be fires. As far as bidding it really doesn't matter what's on the as builts as you are replacing everything in he one bid and replacing what missing on the other. Make sure that on either bid you address exactly what you are including and what will be extra if needed.

Mark
Agreed. Maybe include a scope of work along with the bid. Have 2 copies signed and retain the original. This way they cant add something that you did not figure on.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We hate insurance work. INS company always tries to hold back money for some stupid reason or another. Is there any way to prevent that stuff from going on?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
We hate insurance work. INS company always tries to hold back money for some stupid reason or another. Is there any way to prevent that stuff from going on?
A signed contract, a properly executed job and a Mechanic's Lien.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts