Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you say is the best way to repair a leak in a 3" pvc stack in a wall that is leaking from 2 screw holes about 1" apart caused by the closet hanger system?

Cut the pipe and install a no hub?

Clean the holes and roll glue into them?

Silicone?

Something else?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Cut the pipe And install 1 pvc slip coupling, & 1 reg coupling. Or if the pipe has no play side to side, use 2 slip couplings.

I've done this many times. Got big channel locks, that are actually for sink strainers, that I use to grip the couplings, & slide them into place, after glue is applied.

Make sure pipe is not split at screw hole. I'd replace atleast a foot or so of it, just to be safe.

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
OldSchool said:
I wonder if you could fix that with a soldering iron
I've had to use a plastic fusion welding rig for pvc repairs dozens of times.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I have a "friend" who glued 3/4's of a coupling on a sch 40 storm sewer he accidentally sawcut the top couple inches of.

"He" applied primer and glue to both pieces and snapped the split coupling onto the pipe.....

I would never do that personally:whistling2:

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
I've had to use a plastic fusion welding rig for pvc repairs dozens of times.
I would think you should be able to melt the pipe... even if you use a piece of pipe to use as a stick and melt it...

Heat gun might work also

I have a cousin who has a plastic welding shop here in town... he can weld just about any type of plastic

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I have a "friend" who glued 3/4's of a coupling on a sch 40 storm sewer he accidentally sawcut the top couple inches of.

"He" applied primer and glue to both pieces and snapped the split coupling onto the pipe.....

I would never do that personally:whistling2:
I have a coupling patch in my house...It's on the top, but it's there....

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
I would think a soldering iron would work also, but I'd be concerned about hair line cracks that could possibly leak.

sent from the jobsite porta-potty

Reactions: Epox

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
OldSchool said:
I would think you should be able to melt the pipe... even if you use a piece of pipe to use as a stick and melt it...

Heat gun might work also

I have a cousin who has a plastic welding shop here in town... he can weld just about any type of plastic
A typical hot air plastic welding rig. I've used both this style (with fan) and the compresssor/regulator style.

Work wonders

F1023-2.gif

·
Plumbing Troubleshooter
79 Posts
If it's for a customer, cut it out and repair.

For yourself, any one of the many rumored quick fixes listed here may work out just fine.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
gladerunner said:
Teflon tape the screws and put the back
It's that a joke or r u being serious?

sent from the jobsite porta-potty

·
Banned
6,035 Posts
SimplePlumber said:
If it's for a customer, cut it out and repair.

For yourself, any one of the many rumored quick fixes listed here may work out just fine.
Hot aie plastic welding is not a "rumoured quick fix". I had to employ it under supervision of the local inspector numerous times.

For the right application, it's worth its weight in Canadian Loonies!

:laughing:

Reactions: OldSchool
1 - 20 of 41 Posts