Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best machine for one man? I have a Spartan 100, 75' of 5/8" cable. It has the clutch, so it is pretty easy on my body, plus I can load it and unload into the van by myself. I have used it on a lot of 4" drains, but yesterday I got into a shower room drain it wouldn't pop. I rented an Electric Eel, with 100' of 3/4" cable. No clutch, and heavy as hell, it takes 2 to load and unload. It sure as heck cleared that line, though. I have a Ridgid 500 sectional, and it is definitely a two man animal. This is more of a outside, or unfinished area machine. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I used a Ridgid 1500 by myself for five years back when I did service work, this was before they came out with K-60, nowadays I would probably use that. I am a bit biased though, I absolutely refuse to use a drum machine ever again, no matter who makes it.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I currently use a Spartan 300 with magnum cable for my main lines up to 4", never had one yet I couldn't clear with that machine. I've been looking at the K60 sectional, all my cleanouts are in basements, a lot of them finished basements. I just don't see how the K60 would work for those situations, any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I currently use a Spartan 300 with magnum cable for my main lines up to 4", never had one yet I couldn't clear with that machine. I've been looking at the K60 sectional, all my cleanouts are in basements, a lot of them finished basements. I just don't see how the K60 would work for those situations, any thoughts?
I have used sectional machines in finished basements of many homes.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I've just never used one and I'm a little uneasy about dropping the bucks for one right now. Man it sure would save my back though up and down the basement stairs is getting old.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I've just never used one and I'm a little uneasy about dropping the bucks for one right now. Man it sure would save my back though up and down the basement stairs is getting old.
IMO they are worth it. They are light and pack a good punch. Mine has been beat up pretty bad but it still gets the job done. I have a roll of the 7ft cables and 10ft cables.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I ran a Maxi Rooter when I first got into service, the thing is on wheels. clutch drive, foot pedal ya da ya, but that damn thing weighed a ton. I didnt start running sectionals till about 3 years ago and I fell in love with them.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I use a super-heavy K-7500; Ridgid's biggest drum machine.:thumbup: It is easy to roll around on its wheels, and it has a great stair-climber. But I had to install a winch-powered jib-crane in my van to load and unload it. It weighs over 250 lb.s fully loaded.:eek:
I also have a K-60, but I prefer the drum anyday as the auto-feed drum makes the job so much easier. The K-60 is nice and portable, BUT it takes alot more hands on work and takes more time and sweat overall to use all that sectional cable...bleah.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
"I also have a K-60, but I prefer the drum anyday as the auto-feed drum makes the job so much easier. The K-60 is nice and portable, BUT it takes alot more hands on work and takes more time and sweat overall to use all that sectional cable...bleah.[/quote]"

That was my concern and I've read that over on the Ridgid board too. My Spartan 300 is super fast with the auto feed, I can sit there drinking my coffee during the retrieve unlike the sectionals! LOL
It's just heavy and I hate that part but dang, I'm in and out complete job in half an hour sometimes.:thumbsup:
I do know though as I'm getting older I'll just have to take my time and most likely use the sectional. OR, hire a grunt!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts