Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my bathroom fan and I'm strongly considering a exhaust fan with moisture sensor in order to minimize buildup of mildew in exposed spots (grout, caulking, etc). I need about 80-100cuft capacity and the fan should be reasonably quiet. I also need a light as I don't have/want to yet another fixture in the ceiling.
Does anyone have good experience with particular brands or particular models?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here a fart fan belongs to the sparky or mechanical. If the OP is truly in the plumbing trade, a requirement to post here, he must be a first week helper.
It is stipulated in our code for finish inspections that there be “adequate light and ample ventilation” in a room containing a w/c. I have seen a final fail for a non functioning exhaust fan.
That being said we don’t typically install them but I have hooked them up before where they weren’t trimmed by the electrician yet and we were looking for inspection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is stipulated in our code for finish inspections that there be “adequate light and ample ventilation” in a room containing a w/c. I have seen a final fail for a non functioning exhaust fan.
That being said we don’t typically install them but I have hooked them up before where they weren’t trimmed by the electrician yet and we were looking for inspection.
Electricians :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.......am i right?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
When we have sparkys install them they will install them, and then half the time not connect the duct….
Here it would cost the electrician 21K in fines for each duct they connect. Do a 200 house project that's 4.2 million in fines.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I’ve installed plenty of bathroom fans because most of our houses didn’t come with them. We have an openable window in each bathroom so by code they don’t need one. Most people want one installed because nobody’s gonna open the window in the middle of winter. The V in HVAC stands for ventilation so I can also run the electrical as it pertains to the installation.

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
Installing let's say a gas fired boiler.

Gas licence
Plumbing licence
Hydronic licence
HVAC licence
Electrical licence

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,415 Posts
When remodeling 4 bathrooms, I read tons of exhaust fan reviews and bought the most powerful and quietest fans I could find. This is one place where scrimping was not worth it. All the fan units I looked at had inadequate lighting, so I had to install new fixtures. It was well worth it.
Agreed- Bathroom fans is the one place to not scrip out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts