Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man I work for we re modeled the basement for the mother inlaw. While we were doing that remodeling I was asked to install a water heater pan under the water heater. I did so and told the boss that the cut off was not working right and needed to be replaced, he said no, just leave it. Well, that was about 3 months ago. HO calls and wants a new water heater because his was 20 years old and so was his neighbors. The neighbors just burst, so this HO we done work for wanted his changed before it happened to him. You guessed it, boss came in to assist me, and we had to shut down the house so we could replace the cut off to the water heater. Told him "See, we should had done it before while we had the water cut off, but you said no!"

Oh well, now maybe he will listen to me. I try to do things as if I am going to be the next one there working on something even if I am not, it makes it so much easier for the next guy.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Changed a heater out today that had a bad shut off. Dropped a new one in and charged for parts! Your right though the next guy will have it made since its a BV instead of a gate, I hate gates they should be OUTLAWED

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate a gate!!!!!
Ball valves are the way to go. Plus I tried to tell the boss man let me install it, he could had made a few bucks then!

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes with me, its a matter of time. We besides doing plumbing have other tasks at hand that need to follow a tight schedule. BUT what is a few minutes of time now as opposed to later?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear you KTS, but on a water heater and main I always prefer the ball valve. It is so much quicker and easier even for the HO to turn the water off with

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
I installed a 1" ip gate valve on one of the zones of my sprinkler system at my home a few years back. Brand new, not used btw. ( I know how we sometimes look through out junk stuff sometimes). Well, a few months after putting them into service I noticed my grass was so much greener near the spriikler heads . Thinking that I may have a thread leak on some of the heads, I dug each one up and re-installed them. Then one day while home alone and knowing that water was not running in the house, I heard my deep well pump kick on. Upon much investigating I discovered that the gate valve that I had used would not close fully. Never had a problem with all the pvc ball valves installed on the system. Needless to say I had previously fashioned a tool made of 1/12 pvc as my shut off tool for the ball valves. I simply used a hacksaw and made 2 cross cuts over the end of the 1 1/2 pipe and removed the cut piece. I then glued at the top an 1 1/2 tee with two short pieces of pipe in the tee as a handle. Works great for the ball valves. I ended up replacing the gate with a ball valve. Great lesson learned trying to save a buck. :blush:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts