Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to this forum and pretty young, a third year.

I would like to hear some of your stories working under a journeyman as an apprentice.

I have worked under three great journeyman now, but I have heard pretty bad things from fellow apprentices who have had to work under dicks.

Of course I know as an apprentice you are here to learn and so on. And a great deal of that is going to be getting ****.

Thanks,

Helgore

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
pffft....don't listen to those other apprentices. There are are no bad journeymen, just lazy, worthless, bubba-headed helpers.

Feel better?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I also have some grips as an apprentice, like the fact my boss refuses to use 3x4 closet 90s for our toilets. He insists we use 3 inch with the foam around them.

Also he has forbid the clinging of primer cans to shake out the excess primer so as not to spill it on the floor. As well as he insists we turn our closet collars to the side holes not the normal way because he says they are stronger.

So you can see as an apprentice even if you know you are right in what you want to do, you have to do what the boss says.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Well I also have some grips as an apprentice, like the fact my boss refuses to use 3x4 closet 90s for our toilets. He insists we use 3 inch with the foam around them.

Also he has forbid the clinging of primer cans to shake out the excess primer so as not to spill it on the floor. As well as he insists we turn our closet collars to the side holes not the normal way because he says they are stronger.

So you can see as an apprentice even if you know you are right in what you want to do, you have to do what the boss says.
Using the side holes is stronger, no matter what the flange is made out of, when I was running new high rise work any CI flanges that were shipped out with slots in them got sent back, and the supply house got a call complaing about shipping out crap material.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes that could be, but the flaw is you can not adjust the toilet at all if you use the side holes, as well as the Johnny bolts can slip out.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all you need to do is know how to set a toilet and do it correct to use the normal ajustable slots in the closet collar.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look it is kind of like turning the lettering on your pipe to face the same way when you plumb.

I do this, my boss hates it and says it is a waste of my time. It does not take any extra effort for me to do so it is pretty much instinct to do so now.

I think it makes the job look more neat and professional.

But as an apprentice I get **** for it.

Yet I do it anyway.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
yes that could be, but the flaw is you can not adjust the toilet at all if you use the side holes, as well as the Johnny bolts can slip out.
I always use a tape measure to set the slots the same distance off the wall, is that not the correct way to set the closet flange T-Slots? :laughing:

I think 99% of us on here will tell you the single t-slot flange is for better then the the adjustable slot flange.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ron,

As do I.

I do as I am told where I work. Yet I am not always the one who glues down the cc

So that is why I would prefer them to be set so I can ajust them.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a code book right here, I guess if you like Plumbworker I shall look up the correct way to install a closet collar. I think you are wrong though

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Look it is kind of like turning the lettering on your pipe to face the same way when you plumb.

I do this, my boss hates it and says it is a waste of my time. It does not take any extra effort for me to do so it is pretty much instinct to do so now.

Yet I do it anyway.
Your character is being tested on a daily basis as it will be for the rest of your career. It toughens you up for the hardest careers in construction.

Closet rings? Never thought much about them as I use the slots and make sure the ring is secure. We're talking decades before any problem, if then.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Ron,

As do I.

I do as I am told where I work. Yet I am not always the one who glues down the cc

So that is why I would prefer them to be set so I can adjust them.
I would think as a 3rd period apprentice at that stage, why are you not setting the flanges yourself yet?

Is your school a 4 year or 5 year apprentice school?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t see a thing in the uniform plumbing code book that states you must use the side slots.

Too me this is just journeyman arrogance.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts

Yet I do it anyway.
You might be one of the few apprentices that made it when I was running big jobs, I went through apprentices like water, journeymen at close to the same rate, because I had one standard, perfect. I never told anyone to hurry up and get it done, they were told to do it right the first time, and right meant everything was plumb and square so that carpenters could put in their studs without notching them for our copper wastes and vents. I spent over a hundred hours drawing waste and vent loops so that they were in chases the carpenters could easily build around, if you couldn't comply with that you were fired.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts