Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plumbing is the most important job there is. Without plumbing nothing else works.

Think about it.

There would be no civilization. More important than any other profession. Everything else is built of the backs of plumbers.

I am not political although I have political opinions. We willingly work for every race, creed, or whatever you identify as without discrimination. I respect my trade although its rarely respected.

I am tired of working for a banker system. For a nexstar system of corrupt salesmen who dont respect our profession and think of us as only as numbers.

I dream of a company. Built properly and honestly. Where the old timers which I am becoming have another rung on the ladder to move up.

I dream of a company where old timers give online consultations and estimates to the the book over the phone. Where green plumbers just do work and aren't salesmen.

I dream that plumbers are teams of people to provide the best service. Where people arent taken advantage of on either sides.

I have so many ideas but frankly all the stress may lead me to just buy a food truck and sell sandwiches on some beach somewhere.

A warning to all those young bucks. Working for a company will ruin your marriage, it will break you and throw you away. It will crush your dreams.

It is the most beautiful job run by the most inept people.

Get your masters. It is not a career to work for another person unless you found the diamond in the rough. Get your masters and start your own business.

Tonight I'm drinking to a dead woman.

God bless you all and be merry.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
427 Posts
I will agree with you that the plumber is definitely a keystone to our modern society. However to say that we are the most important, in my opinion is a bit much.
There are definitely some schitty companies out there but there’s good ones too. The people I work for know the value of a good plumber and compensate us well for it. The company just gave all the licenses plumbers an unsolicited $2/hr raise across the board because they don’t want us looking around for new opportunities. They also have respect for the fact that we have families that take priority over the company. My hope is that you all know your worth and don’t ever let someone take advantage of you because that license has a tremendous value.

·
4th year apprentice
798 Posts
We all have our good days and bad days, and sometimes the bad days can stretch out into longer periods. Not everyone is cut out to own their own business, just as not everyone is cut out to be an employee, but there is good and bad in everything. The great thing about this trade is that if you get stuck working for one of the truly bad companies there is usually someone else looking to hire you, at least in my area.
You can get burned out in any industry. Much of it is in your perspective. I am lucky that I got into this later in life, so that I'll be about ready to retire when or before burnout starts to hit, I hope. If you are truly unhappy, consider making a change to something else that interests you. I did, and I couldn't be happier. I get those days and those people too, but in my experience I get more respect as a plumber than I ever did in my more "respectable" career.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
I don’t think I could work for anyone but myself again. I still do stuff for my master, but that’s because he’s the nicest Ahole I ever met. Even bought him a shirt saying so a few years ago.
Not everyone is mentally sound to plumb or clean and have own their business at the same time. Eye opener when you take that step! Sink or swim.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Plumbing is the most important job there is. Without plumbing nothing else works.

Think about it.

There would be no civilization. More important than any other profession. Everything else is built of the backs of plumbers.

I am not political although I have political opinions. We willingly work for every race, creed, or whatever you identify as without discrimination. I respect my trade although its rarely respected.

I am tired of working for a banker system. For a nexstar system of corrupt salesmen who dont respect our profession and think of us as only as numbers.

I dream of a company. Built properly and honestly. Where the old timers which I am becoming have another rung on the ladder to move up.

I dream of a company where old timers give online consultations and estimates to the the book over the phone. Where green plumbers just do work and aren't salesmen.

I dream that plumbers are teams of people to provide the best service. Where people arent taken advantage of on either sides.

I have so many ideas but frankly all the stress may lead me to just buy a food truck and sell sandwiches on some beach somewhere.

A warning to all those young bucks. Working for a company will ruin your marriage, it will break you and throw you away. It will crush your dreams.

It is the most beautiful job run by the most inept people.

Get your masters. It is not a career to work for another person unless you found the diamond in the rough. Get your masters and start your own business.

Tonight I'm drinking to a dead woman.

God bless you all and be merry.
BTW, sorry about your lady friend!

·
Registered
7,050 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great post. While working for yourself can be stressful, I think it is worth it. I'm looking forward to starting my plumbing journey! You guys will be my consigliere.
I just went out on my own in September, much more up and down than working for someone else, every bid matters and I have a tendency to get inside my own head a little more than before, but it’s worth it and I don’t regret it even a little.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,967 Posts
We all have our good days and bad days, and sometimes the bad days can stretch out into longer periods. Not everyone is cut out to own their own business, just as not everyone is cut out to be an employee, but there is good and bad in everything. The great thing about this trade is that if you get stuck working for one of the truly bad companies there is usually someone else looking to hire you, at least in my area.
You can get burned out in any industry. Much of it is in your perspective. I am lucky that I got into this later in life, so that I'll be about ready to retire when or before burnout starts to hit, I hope. If you are truly unhappy, consider making a change to something else that interests you. I did, and I couldn't be happier. I get those days and those people too, but in my experience I get more respect as a plumber than I ever did in my more "respectable" career.
I am getting burnt out on plumbing on sooo many levels....
Cant stand going out looking for customers "mystery leaks in walls"
I dont care to clean out kitchen drains, I lose money if it goes south....
I would rather stay home then fool around in
some crawl space looking for troubles....
I dont have any desire to do work for house flippers., that turns my stomach..

I Had someone today want me to install his used reverse osmosis unit that he
tore out of his old office and wanted it installed in his new place....no thanks, .no way..

Free estimates are not happening any longer and
lots of things I am passing on to other guys that I know I will be just spinning
my wheels on and just breaking even or making very little or nothing.....

I thought I was getting lazy but it seems to working out very well indeed...
we just wait for the big dollar calls and just throw all the dog crap to other guys
needing to keep their services crews busy.... let them beat their brains out......

I did a water softener and a 40 gallon gas today I went in around 9.30
and was home around 4.30........

I guess it really all about the money.....

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
I am getting burnt out on plumbing on sooo many levels....
Cant stand going out looking for customers "mystery leaks in walls"
I dont care to clean out kitchen drains, I lose money if it goes south....
I would rather stay home then fool around in
some crawl space looking for troubles....
I dont have any desire to do work for house flippers., that turns my stomach..

I Had someone today want me to install his used reverse osmosis unit that he
tore out of his old office and wanted it installed in his new place....no thanks, .no way..

Free estimates are not happening any longer and
lots of things I am passing on to other guys that I know I will be just spinning
my wheels on and just breaking even or making very little or nothing.....

I thought I was getting lazy but it seems to working out very well indeed...
we just wait for the big dollar calls and just throw all the dog crap to other guys
needing to keep their services crews busy.... let them beat their brains out......

I did a water softener and a 40 gallon gas today I went in around 9.30
and was home around 4.30........

I guess it really all about the money.....

9:30-4:30 for a gas heater and a softener?!!! Were each two hours away?

·
7,967 Posts
9:30-4:30 for a gas heater and a softener?!!! Were each two hours away?

Well I got into work and loaded up first, then drove about 25 miles to the north for the
water softener, and also I worked on their new crappy delta single handle kitchen faucet too....

Then drove about 15 miles to the west side of town and worked on a water softener for a short while
Then the next customer arrived at 2.30 and I installed a 40 gas in the basement
Then drove about 18 miles south to my house....

Also answered a bunch of calls all day long ---sold a few things for this week

Basically a Very leisurely day....

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Well I got into work and loaded up first, then drove about 25 miles to the north for the
water softener, and also I worked on their new crappy delta single handle kitchen faucet too....

Then drove about 15 miles to the west side of town and worked on a water softener for a short while
Then the next customer arrived at 2.30 and I installed a 40 gas in the basement
Then drove about 18 miles south to my house....

Also answered a bunch of calls all day long ---sold a few things for this week

Basically a Very leisurely day....
I swear you’re my master! A few years ago I got him a shirt that says “The Nicest A**hole Ever”.

He’ll putts around between jobs. Drove me nuts when he’d drive 5mph thinking about the next job. But when we’d get there he says I’m thinking too hard! Me? I’m the get the job done right and quick so I can get the F home kinda guy….

·
7,967 Posts
I swear you’re my master! A few years ago I got him a shirt that says “The Nicest A**hole Ever”.

He’ll putts around between jobs. Drove me nuts when he’d drive 5mph thinking about the next job. But when we’d get there he says I’m thinking too hard! Me? I’m the get the job done right and quick so I can get the F home kinda guy….
You notice that I did not do lunch??
I just drink water and listen to the rock stations all day long
The second call they were not home until 2.30 so I sort of paced myself
but did have a filler call to repair a water softener in between....
but I grossed 3100 today

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
We are overloaded with work so I'm the go-to guy when the office runs out of plumbers. 2 jet jobs today, mud everywhere at the first call (restaurant) as soon as i inserted the jet hose. Hose left the pipe I guess because I was stuck hard. I was using an older hose trying to get them open so I just cut the hose and headed for the second jet job. I dictated a quote while enroute to second job, approved before i got there. We'll cut the parking lot tomorrow and repair whatever we find.

Jetted in a basement of an IHOP next. Rotten black sludge pouring out,, no idea what to do next. I could not get them open Customer agreed to digging up drain in parking lot and jetting upstream but that's going to be next week with thanksgiving a couple of days away. Fortunately there's a sump pump ejecting onto the kitchen line for some reason. There will be a mess in the grease trap.....

5 hours jetting at $475 an hour, sold $20k in work and home by 3. Not a bad day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts