Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Better Business Bureau charge you an annual fee for membership? Is it the same throughout the nation? What are you paying annually?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It is 300. per year for us. We did not renew, I never have had one customer call the BBB to check me out. I feel that with the presence of Angie's List and other organizations like them, the BBB has lost the steam.

I also have never gotten or lost a job based on BBB membership. For us we reallocated those dollars towards improving some other ads we run.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i pay 300 per year here in indiana. i get an email from them about once per month that someone has checked to see if i am member. is it worth it? i don't know

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
i pay 300 per year here in indiana. i get an email from them about once per month that someone has checked to see if i am member. is it worth it? i don't know

You don't think they would tell you they did not got a single check up on you, they might be pulling the wool over on you. They can't afford to lose you yearly fee, IMO, it's not worth it. Save your money and spend it other ways.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Ditto with Ron. I was with them, they are nothing more than an over glorified referral service. BBB cant touch you legally. I wont go into that here because of the general public, but most of us here know who the "Big Dog" of business is, and it sure aint the BBB!

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I'll be the odd man out

But there is clientell out there that will not hire you if you're not associated with the BBB.

I've been a member since 2004, had to wait till I was in biz for a year before they accepted me.

That logo on the truck means a lot to some.

Numerous times I've had people tell me that they hired me given my standing on the BBB.

It's an important facet of your company, it sets my company on a different level as opposed to those who don't.

Whether it is advertising or associations like the BBB, being connected to those is more positive than negative.

My renewal is $375 a year.

On the subject of advertising, getting money out of your contributions to these types of businesses?

I've spent money on different avenues of advertising that hasn't yielded any service calls whatsoever.

For what I pay for the advertising given the number of eyes that see my company name down to name branding as a local plumbing company...

it's money you have to spend to make the big wheel turn. There's no two ways around this statement.

Some things you just "have" to do in business to keep the ball rolling.

I'd be more specific but everyone's layout of broadcasting their company is different.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I had only one guy call me because of my BBB rating. I gave him a price to do some work, we shook hands on the deal...I never heard from him since. I tried calling and telling him that I have the materials ready. He always had some excuse. That has been my only experience so far with the BBB.:furious: I feel the same way about angie's list, service magic, etc. I don't like them because they attract bargain-hunter type customers who like to get 10 bids and then pick somebody out of the 10. I specialize in EMERGENCIES...so I don't need these type of information-gathering, coupon-cutting, bargain-hunter customer's.:thumbdown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts