Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A question on installing a tub, and if any of you plumbers out there do this.

I do know mortar is the way to go, but what about spray foam in up and around the sides? Or just regular insulation?

Thanks

J.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Concrete has always been the way to go, in my opinion. I wlso use a vapor barrier to protect the subfloor.

The spray foam expands (even the low expansion stuff) and can really make a mess. I'm not quite sure how well it actually supports the tub.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I went with spray foam once, wish I never did, I felt like it was not that supportave, Lucky for me I wedged the rear legs with wood shims, and then blew in the foam.

I will always do mortar, with plastic under and between the tub

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I guess want to take this question a different place. Was half cut last night when I wrote this.

Mortar base yes, thats what I usually do, but I wanted to ask about insulating around the sides of the bathtub. Stuffing r12, or using spray foam the help reduce noise and retain heat.

Is this something you guys have ever done. I do agree spray foam is messy.

Thanks for the answers.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Not around the sides. If they want to retain heat, I will sell them a cast iron tub. I don't think insulation is gonna help all that much.

If you mount the tub in mortar, there won't be that much sound at all. I also take it one step further and use a small piece of felt on the tile flange where I screw it to the wall.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Always use Jiff Set, a little more expensive, but when mixed with a paddle on the right angle very smooth and sets in 15-20 minutes:thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Years ago when I worked tracks we never put any foam or cement under the tubs. Just the styrofoam glued by the factory on the bottom, then shim the legs if needed and attach flange to studs.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Kind of on topic, but when the insulators came and did my house a few weeks ago they shoved a bunch of batting around my shower and tub before I tied the drains in:furious:. The only benefit I can see with it anyway is sound dampening, not retaining heat. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but look first is all I ask.
Oh, no foam, mortar all the way:thumbsup:

·
Master Plumber
65 Posts
Structolite when needed. We've used foam before but I don't think it's rigid enough. Once, on a remodel, we filled the tub with water, sprayed the foam and hit the road. Came back the next day to find the home owner let the water out, and the tub was 10" off the floor! It took hours to clean up that mess. That was the last time we used foam.

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
...insulating around the sides of the bathtub. Stuffing r12, or using spray foam the help reduce noise and retain heat...
The heat loss is primarily off the surface of the water. The insulation will help with noise. Best way to have a quiet tub is to install cast iron.

·
Super Moderator
12,486 Posts
I have seen guys use expanding foam under fiberglass tubs and if they didn't fill tub w/ water first, it lifted tub off the floor. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts