Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we purchased our first home (about 20 years old) that had an existing basement apartment. The kitchen in the apartment needed a new garbage disposal, which I was able to take care of. However, while I was down there, I thought I'd take the opportunity to replace the piping under the sink as the kitchen always had a very foul smell. I'm concerned about the layout of the existing piping, though. Attached are a couple pictures to help visualize (the pictures shown have the disposal removed). As you can see, the pipe that comes off of the p-trap then goes up and over the garbage disposal into the drain pipe. Is this a good setup? Could this be why there's so much of a foul smell? What can we do to remedy the setup? Thanks in advance!
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wood Electrical supply

Wood Gas Hardwood Electrical wiring Shelf

·
Registered
115 Posts
The smell is coming from the lack of a framastatic fitting with dihedral drop ear mounts, and proper non-hack work piping.

My suggestion would be to fill all of the pipes with hydraulic cement.

Then call a professional plumber. Pay him/her for their time.

·
Registered
Plumber
259 Posts
I know its unconventional but place your lips on the end of that side of the double sink drain and just blow. To really make an impact run hot water in the right sink. Just keep blowing and you will clear the smell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts