Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a customer who has a vacation condo at the beach. The story is all hearsay but I want any suggestions beforwe I go check this out. She had a bad smell and had the local company where the condo is go out. It is way outside of my work area. They changed the anode and flushed the heater and still had a bad smell. They replaced the heater which she says is gas. The smell is still there. The condo is on city water and shares the service with the rest of the building. No one else has complained and the city took a cold sample and found no problems. There is no filter or softener. I asked if they flushed the hot lines and she doesn't know and to tell the truth I have never had the bad smell stay in the hot lines and go back to contaminate a new heater. Now remember I have not been there to see if this is truly in all the water or not. My experience is telling me the lavy overflow is fouled up causing odor every time the water is turned on but if you guys have any other suggestions please share them

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
A dead body in a shallow grave in the crawler? The reason for 6' of dirt is to prevent critters and smells, so bid on redigging the grave.

Or call a smellogolist.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to check for that Plumber. Rock steady I haven't been out there yet so I don't know. I myself am betting it's the lavy and that it is a pretty small place based on the fact it's only a vacation condo at the beach. Since it is 2 hours away though I and the obvious has been taken care of (water heater) I want to make sure i am loaded with info when I get there. These kind of calls always suck when 3 others have allready tried because I don't know the other plumbers and if they were even plumbers or 1 homelss guy from home cheapo, 1 guy from Drain Patrol, and 1 illegal from the strawberry fields.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've seen bacteria build up in plastic faucets or some of the plastic or braided lines used to hook up icemakers. You could open the faucet and get a horrid smell, but it would go away soon after you ran it for a while.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
put some bleach down the drain....works every time. If they are on septic use lemon juice...if you care that much!

·
Registered
567 Posts
You haven't been there yet, how bout the owner? Has the owner been there for a while or has it been vacant?? I am thinking maybe a dry trap.

Reactions: KratzerPlumbing
1 - 13 of 13 Posts