Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in this 60 year old church trying to get all the little odds and ends wrapped up today. The initial problem was a $1600 water bill which ultimately led to the partial but sufficient submersion of two furnaces to warrant their replacement. Well I'm no HVAC man so I'm just staying on task but the HVAC guys were there trying to finish up also. I'm doing my thing but I hear the lead guy from out of the pit (why on earth would they put those things in a pit) giving a list of items for one of the other guys to go get from HD. Basically it came down to 6-3/4" plugs and a couple of sticks of armaflex. Well I have all of these items on my well stocked "warehouse on wheels" and feeling kind of neigborly I offer to supply them with what they need thus saving them a trip and time. I know how frustrating it is to come to the near end of a job and have to stop to go get something.

So although they sufficiently expressed their gratitude which was nice but really not all that necessary, they stopped short of offering to pay for the items, which is what I would have preferred they had done. Now it wasn't that big of a deal (probably totaled under $15) but it's just the fact that properly mannered people would have immediately offered to pay for the items, ... they did not. Now I do not think for one minute that they were trying to take advantage. They were appreciative of the supply. They were simply oblivious to the fact that that is what one should do in that circumstance. So when they didn't offer at once, I decided to wait and see how long it would take. It took longer than I had to wait. Like I said, it wasn't that big of a deal but on the other hand, I'm not so sure I will be so helpful next time, which is a shame.

I won't be losing any sleep over it tonight but I have to say that it is discouraging that people have not been taught any better than this.

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
I notice that more and more people stand there with a empty hand out waiting for a hand out these days. I helped out a Heat man on the job I'm on now bby carring his furnace up to the 3rd floor. Well it came time to do my W/H and he couldn't help me for some reason.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Could it possibly be that they thought you were a member of the church making a donation? Lot's of contractors donate work to churches.

Regardless, they should have thanked you and at least offered.

Who knows, maybe at the next public prayer meeting they will praise God for the plumber who so generously helped the church out when in need. Then wouldn't you feel a little embarrassed.

What you did will be repaid . . . God has a way of working these little details out.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Could it possibly be that they thought you were a member of the church making a donation? Lot's of contractors donate work to churches.

Who knows, maybe at the next public prayer meeting they will praise God for the plumber who so generously helped the church out when in need. Then wouldn't you feel a little embarrassed.

What you did will be repaid . . . God has a way of working these little details out.
Amen :thumbup:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Really and truly I am not sweating it. If it was that big of a deal I would not have been shy about telling someone that "Hey this is a favor to save you a trip, not a gift, someone needs to pony up some cash". It was simply disappointing that it apparently did not occur to them that they should offer to pay for the items.

To answer your question though, these were contractors not church members and I was in uniform. Also, how can I say this, ... to find someone of my complexion at the United Apostolic Church of God would be somewhat of a surprise to everyone. Not that I think for one moment that I would not receive a warm welcome but it would be an unusual event I would imagine. The worship of God is accomplished in a myriad of styles and all true worship is pleasing to Him. My worship is more subdued. This is in part due to my rhythmic deficiences. When I am in church I have a choice to make. I can choose to sing (if you could call it that) or I can choose to clap my hands. I am however hopelessly unable to do both at the same time (God has seen fit to equip me with other gifts). This inability would, I fear, make me much more of a distraction than a participant at the United Apostolic Church of God.

If in fact they had been church members and if in fact they did praise God for the "generous" plumber then yes I would feel some embarrassment since I would hardly consider a nearly $9000 repair bill followed by a "donation" of a 1/2 dozen 3/4" plugs and a stick of Armaflex as being anywhere near deserving being considered "generous". Still I appreciate your thought. This really wasn't done for the "church" as much as just seeing an opportunity to help out a fellow contractor. I could have clarified my intent at any time and just chose not to. It wasn't a big deal, just disappointing that noone thought to ask.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to ask, did you offer the material or did they ask you if you had the material to spare ?
This is a valid question and one I had not considered. I don't think it should have mattered either way but I simply overheard the conversation, knew I had the items in question and offered them.

Let me say again, these were not bad people. They did express their appreciation more than once. I simply do not understand why it did not occur to them to offer to pay for the items. This is not how I was taught to respond in a circumstance such as this.

I hope noone is misunderstanding me. I am not a person who requires much if any praise and this is not what I was seeking from these contractors then and it is not what I am seeking from anyone in the PZ now. I know the real me and understand that the very best deeds I have ever performed are tainted at best and laughable in the eyes of a Holy God. Please believe me I was not seeking anyones praise. I just happen to believe that good manners are the lubricant of an orderly and pleasant society. Good manners require you to think of others and what they think and what they feel. Polite, thoughtful, and considerate people are much more pleasant to be around than pushy, self-indulgant, selfish people. Now none of us need any training to become perfectly self centered, nasty, people. The truth is we come into the world this way. We want what we want when we want it and we don't care who is inconvenienced or hurt to get it. I will borrow from C. S. Lewis and point out that this human condition is easily observable in the unrestrained, undisciplined behavior of the average 3 year old. We come into this world already being fierce defenders of our own rights while thinking nothing of trampling on the rights of others. We have to be trained to be polite, courteous, considerate of others. If we are never trained and disciplined to live this way we will never come to it naturally because contrary to popular belief, none of us are good people as much as we might like to convince ourselves to the contrary. We may have our moments but pretty much these moments are but fire flies in otherwise utter darkness.

Yikes! Didn't mean to preach! I'll turn it off now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is a valid question and one I had not considered. I don't think it should have mattered either way but I simply overheard the conversation, knew I had the items in question and offered them.
Your right it should not have mattered but it does, the rules are changing and it is evident in the people that have been coming into the trades in the last 15 years or so, and it is much worse with those that are real new like 6 or 7 years, and its affecting the trades as a whole.

In the interest of not starting a big flame war I'll leave it at that, you offered and they took advantage of the offer.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You offered the materials freely and they took it freely. Big deal. They are under no obligation to offer money. If you wanted money, you should have charged them for the materials.
You offered it freely, and the fact that you expected them to offer money is pathetic. Get over it.

That is how I see it anyway.;)
Pathetic? Really? Hmmm, ... interesting. Didn't see that coming from you.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You offered the materials freely and they took it freely. Big deal. They are under no obligation to offer money. If you wanted money, you should have charged them for the materials.
You offered it freely, and the fact that you expected them to offer money is pathetic. Get over it.

That is how I see it anyway.;)
So when you run out of gas while mowing your lawn next Sat. a.m. and your neighbor sees this and offers you some from his can since you failed to be properly prepared to finish the job you started, are you going to respond to him by saying "thanks for the gas, ... sucker!!!"?

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
So when you run out of gas while mowing your lawn next Sat. a.m. and your neighbor sees this and offers you some from his can since you failed to be properly prepared to finish the job you started, are you going to respond to him by saying "thanks for the gas, ... sucker!!!"?
No I would probably offer money, but if he didn't ASK for money, then he shouldn't expect any.;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts