Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the mis leading title, tried to change it but could not

I was reminded of a job I had done with CPVC. After we got done we applied 110 psi to the lines. They held up good. We started the DWV and about 4 hours later we heard this sound that sounded like a gun shot going off upstairs. We ran up to see and we could hear a hiss. Come to find out the someone forgot to glue the stub out for the toilet:whistling2:
It held 110 psi for about 4 hours before it finally turned loose!

Oh yeh, we spent the rest of the day checking all the joints!
After the inspection we connected the water main, turned it on and had no water hot or cold to the bathroom! I figured that we forgot to glue another joint, so we searched and found both pipes had been cut off by the HVAC man who said nothing at all to us. After we fixed that one we had tested the water, everything was fine. We shut the water down. After the addition was done we were asked to turn the water back on. I had a bad feeling so I connected the air tester again just to be safe, and lo and behold, there was a leak. We found that the cabinet man had used 3" screws and missed the stud, but not mu pipe. We fix that, re test with air and another leak! Found 2 places in the back bathroom where the GC had used 2-1/2" finish nails to install wainscotting and missed the studs! I tell you we had one hell of a time with this place. I made more money repairing leaks from the other screw ups than the job paid in the first place!

One of those "I wish I had not done this" job!

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Air testing plastic is a little bit deadly. Shrapnel.

Good quality nail guards will keep you from getting nailed. Unless the GC is a total moron.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
We smoke bomb, flood, and air test stacks. .

I always put 50psi of air on the potable water system and let it set over-night. 90% of the time, the h/o doesn't know whether they wanna get well water or municipal water, and that way, the carpenters can hang sheetrock and i don't hold them up.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here we only have to apply "Working " pressure for a supply test, DWV is 6lbs max. If DWV has more than that, some inspectors will walk out and tell you when you drop the pressure I will be back.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I saw CPVC hold up on a shower valve without glue from the day it was installed until 3 days later when the rock guy hit a piece of cement board into a tight spot and the shock jarred it loose.
Poor guy was in an utter panic, thought he did something to the pipe.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw CPVC hold up on a shower valve without glue from the day it was installed until 3 days later when the rock guy hit a piece of cement board into a tight spot and the shock jarred it loose.
Poor guy was in an utter panic, thought he did something to the pipe.
Wish I could had sen that one:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts