Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit in this office chair with a blown out back today. We have all heard how we should lift with our legs. I do not know about others but I have yet to master the art of setting a toilet with my leg muscles. Or, a Cast Iron kitchen sink. I am thinking that he guy that came up with lift with your legs is not a plumber, does not know a plumber, and would not lift in text book fashion if he was a plumber. I have accepted a bad back as part of my life in the trade I chose.

·
Banned
383 Posts
As I sit in this office chair with a blown out back today. We have all heard how we should lift with our legs. I do not know about others but I have yet to master the art of setting a toilet with my leg muscles. Or, a Cast Iron kitchen sink. I am thinking that he guy that came up with lift with your legs is not a plumber, does not know a plumber, and would not lift in text book fashion if he was a plumber. I have accepted a bad back as part of my life in the trade I chose.
i have had chronic back problems my whole career. alot of the awkward fixtures we have to negotiate are heavy and not shaped to be condusive to the " lift w/ the legs" theory. i did finally find a physical therapist who convinced me that my problem wasn't my back but my stomach muscles. he gave me a laundry list of excercises, and honestly i've noticed a big differance.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That's a GOOD doctor !!!

I fought HARD against a chiropractor for years , I was scared ! Been going for a year and let me say this ,,,,,, IT IS GREAT !!!

I have always felt ( 20-25 years ) a little crooked ,,, off kilter . Between the job and the gym just always twisted .

Finally went to the back Doc and let him "Crack " me . It is scary at first but after a few times i just feel SO much better !!

Just a thought !

Cal

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
That's a GOOD doctor !!!

I fought HARD against a chiropractor for years , I was scared ! Been going for a year and let me say this ,,,,,, IT IS GREAT !!!

I have always felt ( 20-25 years ) a little crooked ,,, off kilter . Between the job and the gym just always twisted .

Finally went to the back Doc and let him "Crack " me . It is scary at first but after a few times i just feel SO much better !!

Just a thought !

Cal

I went to a Chiro once a few years ago....scared the hell out of me. I have never as an adult man felt so defeated. It was weird...in a sick twisted sort of way I felt violated. He told me I had one leg longer than the other and one arm was longer too. He claimed to have "fixed" me all up...than told me not to do labor for a few days. I took his advice not because he told me to, but because I felt like a stick of 3/4 L would bring me to my knees. My back is very strong as are my legs and arms. I carry all my stress in my neck and it's usually my hands that hurt the most.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
That's a GOOD doctor !!!

Just a thought !

Cal
I agree! My chiroprator keeps me upright!
Quite often he cracks me in places where I didn't even realize I was screwed up until after he did it...

Have you had your neck cracked?
Thats a weird one to get used to!

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Try massage therapy. It is the only thing that worked for me. I have been to more chiropractors than you can count on both hands. All they do is take your money. I should know. I was out of work for a whole year with my back. I went through this for 8 years with workers comp. They said I did not need surgery untill recently I went again to my personal doctor and he ordered a mri. Guess what? I had to have surgery. That was just over a year ago. I have problems still, but not like it was before surgery. 3 ibuprophen with food three times a day will reduce the inflamation. That with a good 1 hour massage is a miracle cure.

Reactions: JK949

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Yep. Did that 10 years ago and the happy endings were worth living for.

$200 an hour was a little steep, but working 3 jobs and no time to drag the drunkest woman home from the bar...it was

cut
and
dry. :rolleyes:

There is this place that recently opened up right next store to the ghetto ass Circle K. All the shades are drawn and there is this tiny sign that says
Chinese Massage. This is just one of the many random thoughts that crosses my mind latley. I constantly think...I wonder?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
There is this place that recently opened up right next store to the ghetto ass Circle K. All the shades are drawn and there is this tiny sign that says
Chinese Massage. This is just one of the many random thoughts that crosses my mind latley. I constantly think...I wonder?

I'd be the first to walk in that place with my own little sign:

"Will wook for woodwork"

·
Banned
383 Posts
Try massage therapy. It is the only thing that worked for me. I have been to more chiropractors than you can count on both hands. All they do is take your money. I should know. I was out of work for a whole year with my back. I went through this for 8 years with workers comp. They said I did not need surgery untill recently I went again to my personal doctor and he ordered a mri. Guess what? I had to have surgery. That was just over a year ago. I have problems still, but not like it was before surgery. 3 ibuprophen with food three times a day will reduce the inflamation. That with a good 1 hour massage is a miracle cure.
with or without the happy ending?

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I have herniated disc that goes down my thigs. I bought inversion table. I researched the best sturdy one and got one on craigslist for $120. Works great. I used it maybe 10 times and didn;t have back pains ever sine then. t also strenthens your spine. My wife loves it too.
http://www.amazon.com/Teeter-Hang-U...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1227814273&sr=8-3

There are so many good stuff if you just google inversion table.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you get past 50 with no back troubles you must be superman! Mine started in my mid 30s and my story is like the rest of you fellows ,cast iron sinks, toilet on 2nd floor carring tubs up stairs ,water heaters, all had to stop, I tried it all .The best thing for me was finding the gorlitz with the electric winch on the loading ramp and power feeder it gave me a new lease on life. This was in early 70s when they first started .But by my mid 50s nothing helped so I started pain management, epidural blocks ,swim therapy,exercise classes every thing but sugery.I even tried the disk decompression DSS treatment my insurance will pay for 30 treatments per year it seems to help for awhile. So now I take it easy 1 or 2 jobs per day max and none of the foolish stuff I did in my younger days.I had to be crazy to take a My Tanna small sink machine with 100 ft of 3/8 cable up to the roof on 9 out of 10 sink jobs just because it was quick and I could hurry to next job. These days I use my camera and locator for other plumbers and my equip when they provide the young plumbers to help me get machine to worksite. I like houses with flat driveways in basements .sinks .tubs ,more or less just the easy stuff.I have a full service company that I call in for jobs I dont care to do.So to you younger guys take care of your back you only have one ! :thumbsup:ps I even changed my foot controlled trolling motor on my boat to a [email protected] on switch and use extension on a good hand control model ,keeping foot in one place fishing hurts too :)

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I even changed my foot controlled trolling motor on my boat to a [email protected] on switch and use extension on a good hand control model ,keeping foot in one place fishing hurts too :)
Yep, hand control trolling motor on my boat too...
I do have several foot switches though, step on it to turn on...
But no more of that standing on one leg up on the bow stuff for me...
I wear a back belt when I fish too!

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I sometimes get back pains, but nothing compares to the one I had about 5 years ago. I was not doing anything, just knelt down to tie my shoe when WHAM! It was like a bolt of lightning! I could not even breath it hurt so bad. I never felt so much pain before. The strangest part was like I said, I was not lifting anything at all!

·
Banned
383 Posts
I sometimes get back pains, but nothing compares to the one I had about 5 years ago. I was not doing anything, just knelt down to tie my shoe when WHAM! It was like a bolt of lightning! I could not even breath it hurt so bad. I never felt so much pain before. The strangest part was like I said, I was not lifting anything at all!
yeah bill, thats how it gets me. ill run a jackhammer, carry water heaters, move heavy crap, and when i pick up the empty 5 gallon bucket and, wham there goes the back. i just dont get it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My brother is a C.M.T. and has helped me out many times.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a doc who told me most back problems were caused by tight ham strings. I have since worked at keeping the ham strings loose and found it really helps. Only 1 back problem in over 20 years. Now watch I am going to get hurt taking a crap

1 - 20 of 69 Posts