Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a Rheem heater that we have changed out the gas thermostat now twice....maybe 3 times
in the past 2 years......

On occasion they are complaining that the water in the whole house goes lukewarm throughout..
but then it goes away... happens every few weeks......

I am thinking its a cross connection happening at the washing machine box or some other spot somewhere
I need to eliminate the washing machine box somehow....

I was looking for a simple fix for this and wondered if they make a fitting that would go on the hot side faucet in
the washing machine box that would work like a swing check valve or a spring loaded check valve..

I want just something that would screw onto the hot boiler drain faucet
and you would have threads on the other side to screw on the laundry hose...
or maybe just a washing machine hose with a check valve built into the connection???

anyone know of something easy peasy like this that would eliminate a cross connection at the laundry??.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Watts H7 check valve with HK7 hose thread conversion kit. will do what you are asking about. Now, having said that, I doubt if this is the reason your customer is having this issue. I have found mixing valves with stuck check valves are a more likely culprit. Lets say there is a mixing valve in a shower that has volume controls downstream of the mixed hot and cold water faucet. If the mixing valve is left in the on position, but the downstream volume controls are shut off, the cold water will travel through the cold water inlet and out the hot water outlet. This could happen in a tempering valve also. Stuck open check valves in out of the way locations can be difficult to figure out.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If they have boiler drains for the washer connections that's not the issue. The washing machine itself can not be a cross connection, they aren't made that way.

You could use a hose thread backflow preventer. Should last a while before it leaks, long enough to rule out the washer if you really think that's the issue, but it's not.

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Cylinder Auto part Lens

·
Registered
168 Posts
If they have boiler drains for the washer connections that's not the issue. The washing machine itself can not be a cross connection, they aren't made that way.

You could use a hose thread backflow preventer. Should last a while before it leaks, long enough to rule out the washer if you really think that's the issue, but it's not.

View attachment 132407
Hahah don't use this. Its not a check valve either.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Aha! We finally caught the nerd in the act of a flagrant error. That's a vacuum breaker not a black flow preventer. :geek:
Depending on which model you get it's both!

When the flow reverses it shuts the supply side 😘

·
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending on which model you get it's both!

When the flow reverses it shuts the supply side 😘
I figure that most vaccuum breaker type parts will piss all over themselves
in the laundry box when the pressure
drops off... because that is what they are made to do....... so its not gonna work

probably would be wiser to just open the wall and throw in a spring loaded check valve in the hot
side of the line...

I was just trying to keep from having to do this........

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
drops off... because that is what they are made to do....... so its not gonna work

probably would be wiser to just open the wall and throw in a spring loaded check valve in the hot
side of the line...

I was just trying to keep from having to do this.......
I was yanking your chain. The washer is not a cross connection. Unless they have a weird model it can't be.

This can be tested very easily. All they need to do is shut the washer spigots off when it's not in use. They'll find the issue persists.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

View attachment 132407
[/QUOTT
Yes this is what you need to use but like sko advised I highly doubt it’s mixing in the washer itself,but stranger things have happened

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I was yanking your chain. The washer is not a cross connection. Unless they have a weird model it can't be.

This can be tested very easily. All they need to do is shut the washer spigots off when it's not in use. They'll find the issue persists.
If you read the manual for most washing machines, they advise you to do that anyway. Especially with those crappy rubber hoses.

·
Registered
168 Posts

side of the line...

I was just trying to keep from having to do this........
why open the wall and bury a Check valve? adapt an IPS spring check and attach in the hoses.

·
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why open the wall and bury a Check valve? adapt an IPS spring check and attach in the hoses.

ips check valve..... ok what is that one....
send me a pic of one and I will do it

·
Registered
38 Posts
laundry sink with a garden hose attached to it . my most common culprit. next one is a shower head that has a button on it to turn it off while the valve is still mixing. 3rd is hot and cold faucets in garage on a wye hose with no backflow.
You got me thinking about other possabilities along this line of thought. How about a portable dishwasher connected to a kitchen faucet spout? They turn it on to a mix of hot and cold and there you go.

·
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not the laundry box, as has been pointed out you can just turn that off if you want to be sure though. What about older single handle faucet? The old style Moen cartridges are known to occasionally fail and cause a cross connection probably some other brands as well. Schmitz point out some other common cross-connection potentials, it certainly sounds like the problem is along those lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts