Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Seen em at the house...but never tried them....Why do you like them?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fast cut, for tight places, you can't use them on soft copper thou.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I bought one five years ago, since then I couldn't tell you where my imps are.
They don't last too long...but beats the crap outta imps any day.

Reactions: Gargalaxy

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There a cheap buy, like throw aways, what is imps? sorry if I missed the meaning.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Imp cutter...we call 'em that because the first company to make 'em was Imperial.

Reactions: Gargalaxy

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see I did not know that.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There faster then close quarter cutters, and if you can't spin it with your hand at times, then you use channel locks to assist.

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
I've had the 1/2" version in my hand a number of times at the Home Depot, but just never pulled the trigger and bought it. I couldn't convince myself that it wasn't a gimmick. Nice to hear a recommendation.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I didn't like having to keep two on hand, this and then a Ridgid for soft copper. They are OK I guess. Just wasn't as impressed as some of you guys seem to be. Wonder why.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I didn't like having to keep two on hand, this and then a Ridgid for soft copper. They are OK I guess. Just wasn't as impressed as some of you guys seem to be. Wonder why.
I first started using 'em on a large multi residential project where we had a gazzillion 1/2" & 3/4" lines to cut & reroute to individual meters...they were converting apt's to condo's.

When you have a dozen lines to cut deep inside a wall or inside a soffit, you really start to appreciate the tight spots they fit into, as well as not having to tighten them after every few turns.

They don't last nearly as long, but they're definitely much faster.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have never used those ,I don't care to.I had used the old compact copper cleaner,fem. on one side and male on the other and they suck too.
I use only the open-mesh clothe,it's the best in my opinion ,and all my cutters are Ridgid,except for one dedicated cutter I have for Csst, which is maybe a Lennox cutter.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just buy new ones, there not that expensive. I don't even try to replace the cutter in it.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Lenox tubing cutters beat ridgid all day long. When I do production, I use a sawzall with a 24tpi blade. Makes a very clean cut and reaming is not needed. Don't use this technique on type m, to thin and the blade will catch.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Lenox wasn't making their own tubing cutters the last I knew. I have one of their from when they were blue instead of white like they are now. Best cutters I ever owned.

They were Rothenbergers with a Lenox label.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lenox wasn't making their own tubing cutters the last I knew. I have one of their from when they were blue instead of white like they are now. Best cutters I ever owned.

They were Rothenbergers with a Lenox label.
You made me walk out to my rig and check the make...it is a Gas-tite brand cutter.Very smooth,no wonder it's yellow.I honestly thought it was a Lennox.She was expensive!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts