Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys well im at a standstill on this.. the shower in the upstairs that was just added has no room in the attic to cut a vent and put in a 2x3 so with that being said .. in cook county is it code if no way to put a vent in to do a loop vent in the wall? kind of like a island vent? or am i gonna have to cut out a 3" hole in the roof? to put in the increaser

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Would it be feasible to run a new vent through the roof? Just get a few extensions through the hole to drill through the roof.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be feasible to run a new vent through the roof? Just get a few extensions through the hole to drill through the roof.
that would sound like a good ideal.. if i knew exactly where to drill the hole from the top.. most of the time i drill from inside out to make sure im dead on. but in this case its not gonna happen.. the roof at the highest point witch is the middle of the house is only maybe 2' if that and it drops fast.. so by the time u get to the area where the shower is.. there is no roof space to crawl and cut the hole...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Affordable said:
that would sound like a good ideal.. if i knew exactly where to drill the hole from the top.. most of the time i drill from inside out to make sure im dead on. but in this case its not gonna happen.. the roof at the highest point witch is the middle of the house is only maybe 2' if that and it drops fast.. so by the time u get to the area where the shower is.. there is no roof space to crawl and cut the hole...
What I meant was drill the hole from the bathroom.

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
ok guys well im at a standstill on this.. the shower in the upstairs that was just added has no room in the attic to cut a vent and put in a 2x3 so with that being said .. in cook county is it code if no way to put a vent in to do a loop vent in the wall? kind of like a island vent? or am i gonna have to cut out a 3" hole in the roof? to put in the increaser
Time to explain a tool I made -- a long time ago. I needed a long feeler bit to locate a hole in a flat roof 16 feet above the bar joists. Ceiling in the building was a suspended grid type ceiling full of duct work, boards and plywood carring wires, communciations, air lines, and whatnot the whole thing an abortion occuring over many years. Anyway back to the tool.
I took 2 1-1/2 copper x 1/2 copper reducers. On both I drilled and tapped the 1-1/2 edge for three allen set screws. On one I inserted a 1/2 x 3/8 flush bushing, to that I soldered a piece of 3/8" hard copper -- that I filled with molten lead so as not to crush it when put in a drill chuck. the other end got a 1/2 x 1/4 threaded flush bushing, the 1/4" thread got a 1/4 black nipple drilled and tapped for a set screw The drill bit had a flat ground on so the set screw could do its job. These ends got attached via the set screws to a piece of 1-1/2 copper. It was a simple matter to put the ends on a piece of tubing lets say 20' plumb the tubing 90 degrees apart pull the drill trigger and drill a 1/4" inch through the decking and the roof. Then go up on the roof find the 1/4" hole and do the bigger hole work from the top side down.

Yeh I know I made a lot of $hit in my day but this had a lot of uses.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have a long flex saft drill bit made just for situations such as yours. It's made by Greenlee. You can get them at any electrical supply or usually Home Depot.

Get the bit, drill hole thru ceiling and roof then unchuck it and leave it sticking thru the roof, so you can find the hole from up top and go drill or cut the larger hole.

The bit is about 4 feet long

·
I Married Up
16,841 Posts
I have a long flex saft drill bit made just for situations such as yours. It's made by Greenlee. You can get them at any electrical supply or usually Home Depot.

Get the bit, drill hole thru ceiling and roof then unchuck it and leave it sticking thru the roof, so you can find the hole from up top and go drill or cut the larger hole.

The bit is about 4 feet long
I should have thought of that. I have a 4 footer and two 5 footers along with the tool to bend it up (or down) into a wall if you have limited space.

EDIT: pretty handy on re-pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Time to explain a tool I made -- a long time ago. I needed a long feeler bit to locate a hole in a flat roof 16 feet above the bar joists. Ceiling in the building was a suspended grid type ceiling full of duct work, boards and plywood carring wires, communciations, air lines, and whatnot the whole thing an abortion occuring over many years. Anyway back to the tool.
I took 2 1-1/2 copper x 1/2 copper reducers. On both I drilled and tapped the 1-1/2 edge for three allen set screws. On one I inserted a 1/2 x 3/8 flush bushing, to that I soldered a piece of 3/8" hard copper -- that I filled with molten lead so as not to crush it when put in a drill chuck. the other end got a 1/2 x 1/4 threaded flush bushing, the 1/4" thread got a 1/4 black nipple drilled and tapped for a set screw The drill bit had a flat ground on so the set screw could do its job. These ends got attached via the set screws to a piece of 1-1/2 copper. It was a simple matter to put the ends on a piece of tubing lets say 20' plumb the tubing 90 degrees apart pull the drill trigger and drill a 1/4" inch through the decking and the roof. Then go up on the roof find the 1/4" hole and do the bigger hole work from the top side down.

Yeh I know I made a lot of $hit in my day but this had a lot of uses.
any pics?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Last one I did I drilled from bathroom used a five or six foot electrician pilot bit and then had roofer go on top and drill out the hole and voila! I don't get on roofs anymore too old

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
Last one I did I drilled from bathroom used a five or six foot electrician pilot bit and then had roofer go on top and drill out the hole and voila! I don't get on roofs anymore too old
One thing we all missed. The OP was not concerned about drilling the hole, his concern was a hole big enough in the bath ceiling. I don't think he wanted to blast a hole in there that would allow the increaser to pass through. The hole in the roof would have had to be made bigger so as his vent could be increased per code. Ah a northern plumber working with hor frost I believe. Anybody ever see a vent freeze shut -- I have!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
One thing we all missed. The OP was not concerned about drilling the hole, his concern was a hole big enough in the bath ceiling. I don't think he wanted to blast a hole in there that would allow the increaser to pass through. The hole in the roof would have had to be made bigger so as his vent could be increased per code. Ah a northern plumber working with hor frost I believe. Anybody ever see a vent freeze shut -- I have!
Intresting, I never seen a vent frozen shut.. not with all the heat from sh!t going thru it..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just drilled a hole with a long bit and a few extensions and sent in the helper to go up there and put the increaser on and put the boot on... . thanks everyone for the feed back... i know i aint getting my big ass in that hot heat..!!! and i never seen a vent freeze..

Reactions: plbgbiz

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Anybody ever see a vent freeze shut -- I have!
I watched a 2" vent I had just cleared the frost out of re-plug itself right in front of my surprised eyes. Took all of 10 or 20 seconds. It was an unusually cold day for that area in the B.C. interior. That moist vent air came up the vent, hit the cold air and just filled the vent termination with frost until it plugged.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I watched a 2" vent I had just cleared the frost out of re-plug itself right in front of my surprised eyes. Took all of 10 or 20 seconds. It was an unusually cold day for that area in the B.C. interior. That moist vent air came up the vent, hit the cold air and just filled the vent termination with frost until it plugged.
That's why there a increaser on vent..

·
Registered
793 Posts
I should have thought of that. I have a 4 footer and two 5 footers along with the tool to bend it up (or down) into a wall if you have limited space.

EDIT: pretty handy on re-pipes.
I use the same bit to drill up into.existing walls from the basement when installing thermostat wires. Love those flex bits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts