Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day ,
What is asked for compensation wise when attaching your plumbing license to an existing HVAC company , a company I currently work for and will remain in after the license is attached to add a plumbing division.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
I would assume that is determined by your state and possibly county. I would approach the question to your local building department that you will be working for both companies. That said, if you have both master licenses, why not just work for yourself? Not for everyone, just a suggestion.

Compensation wise, depends on what your licenses are worth in your area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would assume that is determined by your state and possibly county. I would approach the question to your local building department that you will be working for both companies. That said, if you have both master licenses, why not just work for yourself? Not for everyone, just a suggestion.

Compensation wise, depends on what your licenses are worth in your area.
Working for myself was discussed and at this time not for me. I do not hold the hvac license, just the plumbing certification for the state of Florida. It’s there version of the master license

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
Working for myself was discussed and at this time not for me. I do not hold the hvac license, just the plumbing certification for the state of Florida. It’s there version of the master license
In my state, as long as you’re employed in anyway by the company using your plumbing license, being an in-house inspector/trainer, that should pass the smell test. Good for you for wanting to expanding your knowledge!

I would sit down with both bosses and figure out how your arrangement would work for everyone. Don’t wh*re out your plumbing license Just for the money! You are responsible for the work performed under your license. I would keep a good eye on that!

I don’t really understand how FL works, but call who your board. If a company is using your license, I would insist on hourly for your inspections and double permit fee. Or work up some sort of salary that would be greater than hourly on average. You could even set up some sort of flat rate fee. I would, at the very least have some sort of legal employment connection to the company that’s using you’re license. Your license to use and potentially loose. CYA!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes all the CYA I can create. And no. There will be no wh*oring out my license. I will oversee everything. I’ve worked to hard to get to this point to have it ruined by poor workmanship. I do , however want to be compensated fairly. Not looking for anything crazy because the place I’m at now is great and want to continue building a great environment.

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
Yes all the CYA I can create. And no. There will be no wh*oring out my license. I will oversee everything. I’ve worked to hard to get to this point to have it ruined by poor workmanship. I do , however want to be compensated fairly. Not looking for anything crazy because the place I’m at now is great and want to continue building a great environment.
Can you see the business lounge section? I’d like to move this thread there. More appropriate place.

That’s a good attitude! It’s what I do.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts

@Tommy plumber Would be the one to ask, hopefully he comes around.

Personally the first thing I would do is call the liability insurance provider. Some fines for code violations will be nothing compared to the civil suits you might face if an apprentice working under you screws up.

Does your Plumbing license cover gas? Does the HVAC cert. cover gas? If both cover gas work I would get something written up defining who is responsible for what.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,891 Posts

My father was 92 years old and he gave his liscense to a company for about 3 years until he died
at 95... he got 300 a month for it.... Of course he did not care too much about what went on because
what they gonna do to him at 92?? He also ahd to become an employee of their company to be covered by
their liability insurance

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
@Tommy plumber Would be the one to ask, hopefully he comes around.

Personally the first thing I would do is call the liability insurance provider. Some fines for code violations will be nothing compared to the civil suits you might face if an apprentice working under you screws up.

Does your Plumbing license cover gas? Does the HVAC cert. cover gas? If both cover gas work I would get something written up defining who is responsible for what.
I was thinking about Tommy too for the best advice for his area.

Liability is another thing to think of for license! Make sure the plumbing company you’re working for has the right insurance. Heck, as an employee, you have no responsibility to pay for that, but you do have the responsibility to make sure your license is covered.
Again, depends on your state.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Florida certified plumbing license ( master license) covers natural gas piping , propane piping is a different certification. As of now the majority of the permits will for water heater replacement / tankless water heaters as add ons with heat pump / air handler replacements . Central Florida doesn’t have alot natural gas in residential zones but its expanding with new construction. The new plumbing department will grow from this point.

·
Registered
Plumber
47 Posts
I don’t know about other states, but in Michigan the master plumber on record has a duty to oversee the plumbing operations of the company, you can’t really be an absentee master, you are responsible. If they want you to take that responsibility and provide your license and build up a department, I would expect some sort of revenue sharing on top of a nice salary or hourly wage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t know about other states, but in Michigan the master plumber on record has a duty to oversee the plumbing operations of the company, you can’t really be an absentee master, you are responsible. If they want you to take that responsibility and provide your license and build up a department, I would expect some sort of revenue sharing on top of a nice salary or hourly wage.
It’s the same way in FL. They’ll throw the book at you if your caught being an absentee master.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WhI have really means nothing in the long run,it's all a bunch of nothing when it comes to license and plumbing enforcement,it's a joke
Whatever the case I’d prefer not to find out !

·
Il Lic. Plumber
132 Posts
5 to 7 percent of plumbing work performed by company to start. LLC I believe you need to sit on the board and have a title. I was named Vice President of plumbing operations. Biggest mistake I ever made. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
5 to 7 percent of plumbing work performed by company to start. LLC I believe you need to sit on the board and have a title. I was named Vice President of plumbing operations. Biggest mistake I ever made. Good luck!!!
Why do you consider that a mistake ?

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
I was a RMO to a license in CA. for 15 years with a "GOOD" partner, it was a part of our agreement that if we separated
I would keep the plumbing side, but what happen I got too disabled to work and the plumbing work went downhill to
the point that I just give up on it, and moved out of state, first to NO. IDAHO, then to western WASHINGTON, then,
SLC, UT. finally to my home state of TEXAS,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts