Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, my name is Randy.I've been think about becoming a plumber,but when i saw this site i got very intimidated by all the lingo and pictures on here.So i was just wondering how much am I expected to know starting off?I want to do the pennfoster online training.Can you give me some advice on starting off? how did you go about starting out? Where was your first job?

Thanks

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Hi Randy. Most states require you to serve an apprenticeship. Go to your local union hall or talk to a local plumber about getting signed up as an apprentice. You will then have to work full time as an apprentice for 4 to5 years. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks i called ferran and asked them and they said the pennfoster career diploma wouldn't hurt my chances of get a apprenticship there. and it is realy detailed also, so i wont be completely clueless my first day.Anyone done it? What kind of tools do you think i would need of my own, what would a company provide? What year amount did you feel comfortable going out on your own? I live in florida.I'm assuming it's one of the easier states to learn the codes in.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
I started plumbing when I moved to florida and I never took any classes. Just on the job training. After 4 years you can get your journeyman card 8 years get your masters. But, good luck on finding a job of plumbing right now. What part of florida?

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Randy,
This site is dedicated to the discussion of plumbing by plumbers. Feel free to browse the forums and read. Please refrain from further posting until you are, in fact, a plumber. Thank you

Reactions: Ron
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.